Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News East vs West has been cancelled

oscar

Arcane
The HoI engine would be a pretty poor one to model the Cold War on. Peace would simply be really boring without economics, culture etc to manage. Conflicts like Vietnam would be reduced to right-clicking "Anti-partisan Duty" and maybe suffering some attrition.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Didn't steam recently make a statement about how they were changing how they approached early access games? Since so many were shitty and didn't have much hope of becoming much better? The change in policy, valve being more discerning on what games they allow as early access games, was probably what caused valve to throw a wrench in the open beta plans of EvW. Valve is trying to not have the early access brand not be associated with shitty games that don't have much chance of not being shitty and they want it associated with having access to games as they are being made and having a window into the development process of games that are going to be good when done or at least decent.
possible. however, i haven't heard anything like that and the only thing somewhat relevant popping up on google is valve changing front page exposure of the less finished ea titles, which was ages ago (and plenty of really unfinished games made it on ea since then, they just don't show up on the frontpage).

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
The HoI engine would be a pretty poor one to model the Cold War on. Peace would simply be really boring without economics, culture etc to manage. Conflicts like Vietnam would be reduced to right-clicking "Anti-partisan Duty" and maybe suffering some attrition.
There is no such thing as a HoI engine tho, it's all Clausewitz from EU3 onwards which is why the closest thing the game looked and caused the hype was being the heavenly bastard child of HoI and Vicky. The Clausewitz engine itself IS capable of doing all those things, the question is were these guys just trying to do way too much without proper coordination and/or sacrifices.

Nugs

Learned
Probated
Why we can't we have nice things in this reality? Why when there is always a glimmer of hope, reality strikes right in your face and shit happens all over again? Is humanity doomed for failure? We should be colonizing Mars by now.

:negative:

Eyeball

Arcane
Good, all in favour of the World being marred with fewer predestined-outcome simulators from Paradox.

Make a game with mechanics as elaborate as Vicky, take out the SHIT and FAGGOTASS mechanics such as the spheres of influence and dumbfuck POP mechanism and release it WITH A RANDOM MAP GENERATOR!

This would be GOTY for me.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
There is no such thing as a HoI engine tho, it's all Clausewitz from EU3 onwards which is why the closest thing the game looked and caused the hype was being the heavenly bastard child of HoI and Vicky. The Clausewitz engine itself IS capable of doing all those things, the question is were these guys just trying to do way too much without proper coordination and/or sacrifices.
"Clausewitz" is apparently just the graphics engine, according to Johan, who said you could easily make an FPS with it.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"Clausewitz" is apparently just the graphics engine, according to Johan, who said you could easily make an FPS with it.
Hahahahaha. No.

I had a look at that thing 2 years ago and this claim is pure bs.
Back then, the complete engine was built upon the idea that the whole screen consists of a large number of little quads, each depicting a certain part of the world. This doesn't even make much sense for a strategy game - you have to redraw the whole screen anyway each frame, why split it up and artificially increase the number of draw calls (and objects to manage). But for an FPS, this approach would be even worse.
But then again, my experience with it are two years old, so maybe they completely rewrote the engine. Would make sense, as it really was not a great piece of tech to begin with.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
EvW was insanely ambitious, as was evidenced as the dev diaries were published. Not really surprised. Pdox has now been twice burned by modders turned pro. Wonder if they will ever try a third time? Probably not.

Boyarpunk

Hey there, fuckface-uh!
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Codex USB, 2014
EvW was insanely ambitious, as was evidenced as the dev diaries were published. Not really surprised. Pdox has now been twice burned by modders turned pro. Wonder if they will ever try a third time? Probably not.

I'm trying to remember who the modders that burned Paradox were?

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

I'm trying to remember who the modders that burned Paradox were?
Magna Mundi peeps. Of course, they didn't even manage to get something that looked worthwhile, Paradox kept EvW in development considerably longer than it took them to pull the plug on Ubik's retard circus. And it seems to me that unlike Ubik, the EvW people have taken the cancellation with dignity, whereas Ubik went absolutely insane and started trying to stir shit up.

Boyarpunk

Hey there, fuckface-uh!
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Codex USB, 2014
Aye I forgot about Magna Mundi. Thanks.

As I've said in other threads, I'm damm disappointed about EvW's demise.
I was so looking forward to concept, just wasn't sure if the execution would succeed.

I prefer ambitious shit to the cookie cutter shit Paradox we have now

This is my main gripe with paradox. No real innovation, same model because it makes cash. Which is weird because they now have both the funds and the playerbase to go to a revolutionary direction but won't.

They really need some competition.

BelisariuS.F

Augur

I prefer ambitious shit to the cookie cutter shit Paradox we have now

This is my main gripe with paradox. No real innovation, same model because it makes cash. Which is weird because they now have both the funds and the playerbase to go to a revolutionary direction but won't.

They really need some competition.
I'm curious what do you mean by "revolutionary direction".

East vs West.

Supreme Ruler as an actual finished product.

Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Dawn on a far larger scale with actual cold war geopolitical management.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom