Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

EA's new RPG: Project Grey Project

DemonKing

Arcane
http://www.ea.com/official/projectgraycompany/

The site is pretty bare at present, apart from some brand new forums, a little art, and a completely inane video diary that tells you absolutely nothing.

EDIT: Apparently the game will include Sims2 tech! Yippee!

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
OH WOW THOSE ORCS SURE LOOK ORIGINAL. They might as well have just put the white hand of sauruman on them for fuck's sake. Look at the castle in the beginning, too. It looks like friggin' Saruman's tower! (can't think of the name right now)

The video interview was absolutely retarded, as is the website. Nothing concrete or of any interest, just the usual BS marketing speak. Of course, I guess I shouldn't have expected anything more from EA...

Bosco

Novice
Naked_Lunch said:
OH WOW THOSE ORCS SURE LOOK ORIGINAL. They might as well have just put the white hand of sauruman on them for fuck's sake. Look at the castle in the beginning, too. It looks like friggin' Saruman's tower! (can't think of the name right now)
Orthanc. In the valley of Isengard. Mount Fang in Elvish, the Cunning Mind to the native Men in the area.

butsomuch

Novice
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow was developed by Asians?

No.

Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow's single-player game was developed by Ubisoft Shanghai Studios, but Ubisoft Shanghai Studios is comprised of Europeans. Pandora Tomorrow's multiplayer game was developed by Ubisoft Annecy Studios.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/ps2/tom-c ... ow/credits

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I remember seeing nothing but Asian names in the credits after I beat the game. Weird.

By the way, I'm pretty sure they're Quebecois, not Europeans.

LlamaGod

Cipher
Splinter Cell 3 was fun, hearing Quebec guys trying to fake Cuban accents.

FaranBrygo

Educated
If Orientals are designing the game then it will probably be some pseudo final fantasy or zelda. I bet the wapanese crowd will eat it up though.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Damn that's a lot of people making their game. If it sucks, it proves that TOO MANY IRON CHEFS IN THE KITCHEN RUINS THE TV SHOW!

Azarkon

Arcane
It only makes sense for Asians to make the games, since they comprise the largest population of game players (and it's proven that Asian companies know better what these players want). A pity game design principles seldom translate across cultures, but hell, if you were a mass market publisher like EA you'd want to appeal to the side with ten times the customers too.

Kuato

Liturgist
EA sucks they churn out crap as fast as they can to pay for the super bloated overhead that company sustains. The team for project grey already looks big and bloated and a breeding ground for the kind of low morale disconnected disjointed mismanaged development EA is infamous for.
and yes the concepts look very LOTR sigh!
Although they say this is an rpg I cant help but think in the wake of WOW they would actually be making another mmorpg

FaranBrygo

Educated
Azarkon said:
It only makes sense for Asians to make the games, since they comprise the largest population of game players.

"The four largest markets for computer and video games are the United States, Japan, Australia and the United Kingdom. Other significant markets include Spain, Germany, South Korea, France, and Italy." From Wikipedia

Oceania has always had a larger market that Eastasia

Dhruin

Liturgist
No way Australia is a bigger market than Germany. Don't think I have a soource to hand but I've figures for Germany being the 2nd largest market after NA.

HotSnack

Cipher
Most of the asians are only working on the artistic side of the game, so don't worry guys, we're still going to get some of that anally serious, epic western rpg we all know and love!

Just saw the dev diary, a bit funny how they intentionally unfocused the camera when looking at the artwork. The video reminded me of a xbox360 booklet I once read, where hip game dev no. 345 (you could tell because he only wore one earring(!)) was trying to convince me that Ol' Gates is down with the kidz.

sheek

Arbiter
The sound effects on that website sound ripped off from Arx Fatalis. :?:

How the fuck do you download the video? Trying to get the quicktime and it tries to load up in a firefox window. You can't right click because they use stupid Macromedia Flash.

El Dee

Scholar
sheek said:
How the fuck do you download the video? Trying to get the quicktime and it tries to load up in a firefox window. You can't right click because they use stupid Macromedia Flash.

I wouldn't bother with the video. You'll learn absolutely nothing new. They show some concept art, but they decided it would be funny to show the artwork out of focus.

But the creative director is really cool! He has long hair and tatoos!!!!111!

sheek

Arbiter
El Dee said:
sheek said:

I wouldn't bother with the video. You'll learn absolutely nothing new. They show some concept art, but they decided it would be funny to show the artwork out of focus.

But the creative director is really cool! He has long hair and tatoos!!!!111!

Yeah I downloaded it in the end. Waste of bandwidth which could have been spent on feeding starving Africans.

DarkPhantom

Novice
From the "Next Generation RPG" sentence, I think we'll be having another FPS with a "RPG felling".

I won't sit and wait for this one, considering, besides the above, that EA's behind it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom