Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Early Firearms in Crpgs & tacticools - Recommendations & Compendium thread

vazha

Arcane
What the title says, basically. I happen to be a big fan of handgonnes, muskets and their like in my fantasy / medieval-inspired games, and having played quite a few of those already, hoped you guys could recommend me some that I might have missed?

Here s a list of those I already played and 2 cents worth of hot takes from yours truly.

1. Arcanum: classic. 'Nuff said.

2. Pillars of Eternity 1-2: Look I hate intelligent barbarians and other retardo crap as much as the next guy, but firearms were neatly done I found. Thinking about replaying Deadfire with a arquebus-toting sharpshooter. Feel free to give build advise.

3. Sacred 1-2: had a hand cannon-wielding dwarf. Havent touched this since teenage years, but good memories.

4. Corsairs series: mostly you get to use pistols, though in later series you could also have a musket as I recall. Mostly as sidearms though. Fantastic games, pure slavjank, worth playing.

5. Risen series: Abandoned Risen 2 several times, but will get back to it someday. Is full-ranged build viable?

6. Farewell To Dragons: Slavjank meets steampunk. Not too bad, but becomes an utter slog towards the end.

7. Silverfall: good art, good atmosphere, can play as a goblin with a blunderbuss or a musket, but the horrendous diablo combat and respawning enemies kill all the fun.

8. Vendetta: Raven's Cry - See the Sea Dogs (Corsairs) series. Its essentially a (much improved) spiritual successor. Great game.

9. TOME: Love the game, have sunk countless hours into it, but absolutely hated how they did firearms. Unfun.

10. Fate series: have played only the first one, havent heard good things about the latter two

11. Assasssin's Creed: not a fan.

12. Torchlight series: not bad at all for a rpg-lite.

13. Greedfall: Spiders games are my guilty pleasure. Played it, enjoyed it, not ashamed!

Rpg & Tacticool hybrids:

1. Battle Brothers: Absolutely love the game, including what they did with handgonnes. Still hope they ll get back to doing more dlcs for it and we'll get to see pistols and muskets

2. Expeditions: Conquistadors - Their best game. Not a masterpiece by any means, but thoroughly enjoyable.

3. Black Legend - I honestly think Codex sleeps on this one. Very happy I played it first and then looked it up on the 'Dex. Game is not without its problems and shortcomings, but boasts excellent atmosphere, setting, art (great weapon variety), an unballanced but FUN combat. If you ever wanted to play a grimdark fantasy Alatriste adventure (I know I did), then this is it.

Thats it from me folks - cant remember more atm. Feel free to chip in and recommend!.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Wizardry 7 (and its retarded younger brother Wizardry 8)

iu

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I wouldn't consider the late 19th century rifles and revolvers in Arcanum to be "early firearms".

Developer
Since you're counting anything prior to the 20th century as "early", gunslinger builds with the new dash move can be pretty fun in Grim Dawn.

Also Mount & Blade: With Fire & Sword.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Depending on your definition of early firearms...

Blood & Gold
Sea Dogs/Pirates of the Caribbean
Space 1889 (IIRC)

Of note is Mount & Blade and other entries in the series. All entries have firearms IIRC, but in some versions you need to enable them. Mods, on the other hand, often have them, including some very nice western themed ones.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Do you count early-access games? There's one called BEAST in all caps for extra edginess.

It's set in Carpathians around 1600, there are firearms and the main character is armed with the rare and prestigious gun-axe.

sq9x3bm.png

EUGHH4j.png

MVn073t.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom