Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

EA/Mythic Entertainment mount Ultima's corpse so they can kill it again

ColCol

Arcane
Main page just changed. Two classes revealed. Fightman. Magicman.
Sorcerous tits image and map of Britannia.

Is there a direct link to the main page so people without origin or not giving that much of a shit can see?

http://ultimaforever.com/

The gypsy now looks like a sexed up little tart:
u4e_concepts_gypsy.jpg

So the game that allowed teen players to experience a quest for Enlightenment is now being sexualized in order to bring the new generation of teens some gratuitous tits and ass. It's like a metaphor for everything that has gone wrong in the CRPG industry. Ultima 4 was my first real CRPG. I played it with my little brother when I was in Middle School. We played Ultima 5 with the Vietnamese kid who lived down our street, and Ultima 3 with my Italian friend on his NES. I'm going to get over this, but right now I just feel dirty and violated.

Not like Ultima hasn't had gratuitous sexuality/nudity before right? (Hint:Ultima 7)

Still, looks like shit.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
As has been hinted, Jaesun, taxalot and myself currently have access to the alpha of this game. Though I suspect I'm the only one who played it for more than 15 minutes. :smug:

It's not really an Ultima, nor is it a type of game I have interest in, but it is kind of cute. I like that it doesn't take itself too seriously. In terms of style, it is pretty much Bioware-in-name-only.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I just fucking hate how they take the name of ancient franchises just to sell totally unrelated turds. Of course it just shows that these games cannot stand on their own and would be bigger flops than Alamur but whose fault is that? If they made a game worth playing in the first place they wouldn't need to use old names to try and give their 'game' some legitimacy.

Angthoron

Arcane
Well, by their understanding, they're not "losing" anything by using an old buried franchise - it costs less to trademark, it has market value via old fans and residual hype, so obviously they'll do it.

Maybe Codex should pick up some dead community name, hype it up, then sell it for a MILLION DOLLARS to some idiot that thinks it'll be BIG.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So what type of game is it, gameplay wise ? Is there anything worthwhile ?

Come on, give me something here, I feel like killing myself

I've signed an NDA and don't want to anger the EA demons, but I will say this:

If you want a real Ultima game, then this is not the game for you.

If you like cutesy indie RPGs, then you won't find this game horrible at all.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
So then, it's a little more RPG than its ARPG label suggests?

Well, many game mechanics aren't working yet, so it will become more complex, but probably I should have said "indie ARPGs".

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Probably thinks it's awesome. Wasn't he involved in some Sims crap or something now?

Actually, he's probably kind of miffed about it. Garriott has opined in the past (on Twitter, I believe) that nobody can make a true Ultima game without him.

He also plans to make an "Ultimate RPG" casual game and this is competition.

Ovg

Cipher
Random thoughts engaged:
Hey guys, I dig the new gypsy. Step lightly for you are trampling on my dreams.

I guess decline will rape everything. It's just a question of time. Though I am mildly surprised that they chose ultima over planescape, after all they could be "immersive" and "deep" at the same time!
Why isn't Garriott butthurt? I mean they rape his dream and replace his manlyness with some t&a (hope at least they will be quality t&a).

It won't feature tasteful rape, will it?

Fens

Ford of the Llies
A little part of me just died.
gaming news since the mid 2000s had that effect on me, too... so much in fact, that i'm now officially undead

this is just another low blow for an industry that should be handing out jockstraps with marketing announcements

Black

Arcane
The first great Western RPG has been lovingly restored in Ultima Forever - return to the Ultima series in BioWare's new cross-platform action RPG. Accept the challenge from Lady British and save the land of Britannia. Play as the Fighter or the Mage and travel alone or with friends, restore virtue and become the Avatar!

EA is currently accepting beta registrations for Ultima Forever, requiring an Origin account.

http://ultimaforever.com/
http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012...-biowares-new-free-to-play-cross-platform-rpg
:deadhorse:

Rostere

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I just created an account to post an angry smiley in this topic. So, here goes: :mad:

Screw you EA.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom