Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

EA confirms KOTOR 3: it's an MMO

Shoelip

Arbiter
Castanova said:
To all you people crying foul at EA over this - I'm willing to lay down money that BioWare had this in development before the EA deal. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if BioWare agreed to the EA deal in part because they wanted more support for this massive project.

Hm... I'd like to think the Bioware folks are smarter than that but...

MetalCraze

Arcane
Bioware was a part of EA since 2005 (They belonged to Elevation Partners which belongs to... uh oh.. John Riccitelo). So unless they are making this for more than 3 years - EA has a part in this.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Oh is that so? This explains some of the design choices in games like Jade Empire and Mass Effect, more precisely the real time combat.

J1M

Arcane
skyway said:
Bioware was a part of EA since 2005 (They belonged to Elevation Partners which belongs to... uh oh.. John Riccitelo). So unless they are making this for more than 3 years - EA has a part in this.
I would like to know more about this, I thought the doctor's owned Bioware.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
skyway said:

What is your source for this?

MetalCraze

Arcane
wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elevation_Partners
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Riccitiello

According to it John Riccitiello was CEO of EA from 1997 till 2004 (being responsible for EA nazi policy of closing/fusing studios and intervening with development processes) - then he went to co-found Elevation Partners where he was managing director (the guy who buys stuff obv), the first real purchase of which were Bioware and Pandemic (they also got fused. traditionally for Ricci eh?) - then in 2007 Riccitiello returned to his old CEO position, bringing Bioware and Pandemic to EA (for a price).

bobisimo

Novice
Comrade Hamster said:
I don't really mind if BioWare goes belly up anymore because they've sold out hard. Here's to hoping for another wildly successful SW:G!

That's all we need is for another good developer to go belly up. Even if you dislike BioWare, you have to say that they're one of the very few companies even making an effort with the RPG genre. Take their projects away, and their successes (which gives publishers more reason to be less interested in publishing any RPGs), and the market is that much more dry.

J1M

Arcane
bobisimo said:
Comrade Hamster said:
I don't really mind if BioWare goes belly up anymore because they've sold out hard. Here's to hoping for another wildly successful SW:G!

That's all we need is for another good developer to go belly up. Even if you dislike BioWare, you have to say that they're one of the very few companies even making an effort with the RPG genre. Take their projects away, and their successes (which gives publishers more reason to be less interested in publishing any RPGs), and the market is that much more dry.
I like it when console developers die. Bioware had grandfather status for KOTOR, but it expired after Jade Empire.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
skyway said:
wiki

According to it John Riccitiello was CEO of EA from 1997 till 2004 (being responsible for EA nazi policy of closing/fusing studios and intervening with development processes) - then he went to co-found Elevation Partners where he was managing director (the guy who buys stuff obv), the first real purchase of which were Bioware and Pandemic (they also got fused. traditionally for Ricci eh?) - then in 2007 Riccitiello returned to his old CEO position, bringing Bioware and Pandemic to EA (for a price).

That is... interesting. Thanks Skyway.

J1M

Arcane
skyway said:
wiki

Right, ok. I thought you were saying Elevation owned EA too.

Dark Matter

Prophet
*sigh*

I really wanted to see Obsidian conclude the story arc. Looks like that won't be happening.

I wonder, is Bioware gonna continue where Obsidian left off? They are calling it a sequel after all. Is this even gonna have a story? God, I hope not. I'd much prefer if they just ignored Obsidian's game altogether and created a generic SW MMORPG. I'd prefer that over raping what Obsidian created in KOTOR 2.

I hope this game fails miserably. Too bad, it won't affect EA a whole lot, they'll possibly just shutdown Bioware and move on.

spiwak

Novice
The main problem with this is the same as Galaxies, namely that everyone wants to be a jedi but doesn't want anyone else being a jedi for fear of force overcrowding. I mean, after all, there were how many jedi in KotOR 2?

I don't see how this will work, especially with the leveling system of the KotOR games, which was all about a) 20-30 level caps, and b) being a jedi.

Binary

Liturgist
I can already foresee see a server filled with dual-wielding lightsaber jedis named:

Annakin Skywalkerr
! Anakin Skywalker !
Anakin Vader
An@k1n Skyw@lker
Anakin Skywanker

etc

kris

Arcane
Dire Roach said:
The target audience here is Star Wars fans. There is no reason for this game to NOT be a financial success.

I am a Star wars fan and I don't care about this. Meh.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Dire Roach said:
The target audience here is Star Wars fans. There is no reason for this game to NOT be a financial success.

Quoi? Star Wars: Galaxies is a financial success?

Lumpy

Arcane
larpingdude14 said:
ITT: i dont have the money to pay for the subscription fee..Bwahh!
That's not how "ITT" works.

Unradscorpion said:
I hope this won't turn into a bunch of "They are raping the lore" threads few years later, like the case is with Fallout 3.
Most people don't give a fuck about SW lore, primarily because it is shit.

Mareus

Magister
Unlike some of you guys who are saying that you won't miss Bioware if it gets canned, I hope the game sells enough so it does not happen. You may not like Bioware, but they sure make good games and without them the empty void in which we are waiting for a decent RPG to come out would just get bigger. However I must say this is one Bioware game that I will probably skip.

Dire Roach

Prophet
Lesifoere said:
Dire Roach said:

Quoi? Star Wars: Galaxies is a financial success?
SWG was released in June 2003. In August 2005, Sony announced that they had sold one million units of the game worldwide. A total of three boxed expansions were released in a span of slightly over two years, the last two in 2005, which meant they were in direct competition with WoW (released in November 2004). Recently, they announced they were going to release a collectible card game for it, which means there must still be a substantial player base that they are making money off of, even in today's WoW-hitting-ass-and-leg world. Is this not enough of a financial success for any pre or post-WoW MMO?

In any case, my point was this: Star Wars fans are the kind of people that will mindlessly open their wallets to anything that has their adored franchise's name on it. They might hate a lot of things about the Star Wars universe, they might bitch endlessly about how George Lucas raped the series with the prequels, but ultimately, they succumb to hype very easily. I know this because I, unfortunately, used to hang out in a dreaded Star Wars Fanforce chapter.

And kris, you may not be drooling over the game now, but you will be. YOU WILL BE.

Edit: Also, SWG's shittyness works in Bioware's favor. Dissapointed SWG players are most likely eagerly anticipating a better Star Wars MMO to come out, especially one that will be done by the same company that made KotOR.

Kthan75

Liturgist
Codex 2012 Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I am disappointed that we'll not see a *real* KOTOR 3, but I am not convinced this will fail, financially.

Like some people already mentioned, Galaxies is expired, there aren't many SciFi MMOs and Bioware / EA have enough resources to support the project. Of course, it will probably not have a huge market success like WoW, but it could still make a decent profit.

I won't play it, but probably enough people will.

yeah it will be a bunch of jedis using the force powers that temporarily paralyse other characters...if KOTOR 1 is anything to go by.

Or you could craft items!

Mareus

Magister
There is one big problem when you try to make MMO Star Wars. How can you make other classes compete against the Jedi? I mean, Jedi are just too damn powerful. Ofcourse everyone will want to play them and because they can heal, shield, use the force, etc they are pretty much self sufficient.

Does anyone have an idea how you can make this work, so there is not 100 jedi/10 other classes?

The only way I see that it could work is if they don't allow you to be a Jedi, but then the kids would go crazy. What? You can't be a jedi? This game sucks.
Maybe if they put a level limit before you can become a jedi, but that would also just be a matter of time before you would have bunch of L60 jedis.
Even if they hired actors to play jedi and have a council in which they would observe you and decide if you are worthy or not to become a jedi would not work.
Even if you tried to make the classes balanced it would just mess with SW lore. It just can't work.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom