Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime E3 2014 - June 10-12th - CONCLUDED

• Thread starter A horse of course
  • Start date

Which developer will make the biggest splash at E3?

• Total voters

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Zelda: Legend of Skyrim

LOL
An open world sandbox Zelda game, just what I have always wanted.

Just make a top down 2D Zelda game again, fags

An Open-World Zelda actually should have happened sooner.

It'd be nice if they beat Bethesduh at their own game (hur hur hur!)

Renegen

Arcane
Zelda as a hack and slash HHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH get fucked Nintentards, where your puzzle adventure god now?

balmorar

Arcane
Queued Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy Edgy
ihQDGXiXqqEw6.gif

DragoFireheart

Great: a 3rd person shooter where I cum on people and can turn into a sperm to swim through cum.

Tehdagah

Arcane
How is a big, glass, sci-fi brain unique in character design or animation? It's not an idiosyncrasy since it's the de facto symbol for intelligent beings and doesn't reflect the variety found in real-life beings of high intelligence. Nothing objectively wrong with a common shorthand, but superior character designers can do so much more.
Yes, Nefarious is an idiot but he see's himself as a genius.

The hair is an idiosyncrasy, but to me it's not conveying anything about the character. Hairstyle is a great way to convey information about a character's social standing, hygiene, archetype, etc.
He's someone's brother. Also it gives a fun visual effect to contrast with his buff appearance.

The dog's mouth has garden variety, oversized, cartoony, stalactite/stalagmite teeth. Effective for getting the point across, but generic design can do that.
The flick of the arms is a stock way to express some kind of forceful demand or proclamation. I wonder if the animators ever saw an actual person do this.
All this stuff is cribbed from U.S. animation, where the same stock poses, movements, and physical types are taught by the same school(s). Copies of copies instead of interpretation of reality and taking advantage of the variety of expression found in life.
And what of our titular heroes, against which I made the original criticism? They are the worst offenders, imo, as these other characters are at least fun to look at.
That's not super-deformed, which is a specific visual style with a certain canon of proportions. And if this particular design cliche is used every time, then it is by definition generic. There are a hundred different ways an artist can convey a heavy, strong or lummox type character, but that requires observation of such types in real-life and the creative freedom to come up with one's own interpretation.
Ratchet & Clank characters are supposed to resemble archetypes of american cartoons, hence the stocks. The designers still give memorable attributes to them, but they can't move too far away from the point.

You can easily detect a Rachet & Clank character in the middle of hundreds of other games. There aren't a lot of "yellow alien cat + swiss-army-knife-robot" couples out there.

I specifically mentioned character design, which is a separate category in function and practice. Most studios use different designers for characters and environments, and I wouldn't say the character designs are in line with the aesthetic standards of the environments.
They are. Purposely "over-detailed" and based on archetypes of sci-fi/alien american cartoons for kids.

(...) Bob Clampett, John Kricfalusi, Chuck Jones (...)
Bob and Chuck were great at their time, but not anymore. Today, their designs are just plain.

Also for John... I choose this over this [:lol:] any day.

You may have a point here had I made the argument that there was something unique about this character.
You don't seem to care about unique designs, so. Must be boring to look at a generic avatar everytime you log in this board.

DragoFireheart

REGGIE JUST GRACED MY PC SCREEN AND I CAME THANK YOU SO MUCH REGGIE!

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
At least almsot all Nintendo games are about playing not watching. I appreciate that.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Nintendo being Nintendo. If you're into their 20+ years old franchises and getting excited over characters getting added to Smash, than this was a pretty damn good Direct I guess. Including original Bayonetta with the sequel was damn nice of them, though. And X looks decent, but those are some damn iffy visuals and I could smell anime archetypes from outer space.

DragoFireheart

It's not like Nintendo needs to set the bar high compared to CoDs and other retardation.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Nintendo worst conference of E3, AGAIN. Of course they're such a joke at this point that they weren't even permitted to attend the convention itself and had to stream their show from Iwata's mom's garage, so in fairness they probably don't count as being part of E3 at all.

What?

How are you so edgy?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Having a pre-recorded video is so much more clever than doing those silly and expensive stages, with actors pretending to play your CG movies and fake applauses every hype word you say... and it treats gamers the same way that journalists, no special room with people getting freebies to hype stuff for you.

DragoFireheart

Zelda looked nice, but I doubt anything could get me back into Nintendo at this point.

An Elder Scrolls Zelda skin could be pretty good. The open-ended nature of LoZ 1 is what made that game so great (among other things).

How about a big (and detailed) world like the size of say, Morrowind, with a combat system similar to Dark Souls? Colorful art style along with a easy mode to draw in the casual gurl gamers with a hard mode to help satisfy hardcore gamers of those popular genres and it could be the shock treatment the Wii U needs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom