Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dynamic Shadows for New Vegas soon

Misterhamper

Scholar
42180-1-1314819745.jpg

Holy hell, this is the mod I have been waiting for. Will probably be out in a week or two? Soft, dynamic shadows, both in/outdoors. And it comes with absolutely zero FPS hit according the author! Even works with ambient occlusion from nvidia inspector, which also has practically zero fps hit.
Finally my New Vegas will look like a nextgen game, so I can fapfapfap while playing

It even gives heat-haze effects, DOF, dynamic clouds and lotsa weather types.

That mod, together with Project Nevada and the new WMX that now gives weapon-mods to melee and unarmed weapons too.... my proper playthough of this game will finally commence!!!

And it comes with absolutely zero FPS hit according the author!

If this were true the author should be a billionaire thanks to his ability to magically make something out of nothing. Of course, since the system requirements of NV are so low now the FPS drop is probably unnoticeable, but its going to impact FPS.

Also, anyone who has ever thought that DOF looked good should be vigorously disemboweled with a rusty spoon.

Misterhamper

Scholar
Overweight Manatee said:
And it comes with absolutely zero FPS hit according the author!

If this were true the author should be a billionaire thanks to his ability to magically make something out of nothing. Of course, since the system requirements of NV are so low now the FPS drop is probably unnoticeable, but its going to impact FPS.

Also, anyone who has ever thought that DOF looked good should be vigorously disemboweled with a rusty spoon.

"I tried numerous ways of getting shadows. I tried forcing the engine (example in images with the violin) but the shadows are horrible, and the engine is hardcoded to only show small scale shadows. I tried rendering through the graphics pipeline using a shader, again really horrible results and nasty FPS hit.

So the only way to implement FNV shadows is to manually set the shadows using models and scripts. The static shadow models behave similar to ambient occlusion and the dynamic shadows which are cast by the sun are dynamically controlled by script. It's tedious but the end result visually is impressive.

Performance wise there is no FPS hit which means everybody regardless of hardware can have them."

Let us see....

DOF do look good in games btw, as long as the effect is very subtle and only affects the background. Most mods/gamers make it blur half the screen though, I have no idea why they do that??

Misterhamper

Scholar
MetalCraze said:
Why every time someone calls its mod "Project Reality" it has nothing to do with, you know, reality?

Games aint real, more news at 11

But alotta stuff goes into making games seem real, every single part could be described as a "project reality" so really, is it that wrong?

SoupNazi

I'd say it looks about a hundred and five percent better than vanilla New Vegas, but edgy Codex gotta stay edgy.

MetalCraze

Arcane
SoupNazi said:
I'd say it looks about a hundred and five percent better than vanilla New Vegas, but edgy Codex gotta stay edgy.

The screenshot in the OP alone makes my eyes tear.

Removing bloom and piss-filter was a bad idea since the whole point of them is to make you puke from the shittiness of those effects themselves, not the rest of the graphics.

Multi-headed Cow

Why are some of those raiders infected with tiberium?

Raapys

Arcane
How could they not have dynamic shadows in the game? Wtf happened to graphics whoring?

Drakron

Arcane
SoupNazi said:

Well I have to disagree on that, one issue I have with modders they are tend to go EXTREME ... take textures, many think they can just sharp and add noise and voila! HD textures and that is not even the worst, the worst is when they go "photorealistic" and downright ignore the art direction.

DOF efforts usually go to the extreme were everything is just blurred and its not something you should be even doing because the focus or defocus should be done by YOUR eyes, things SHOULD be sharp with the haze effect be on distant LOD objects, by blurring the crap out of it you are in fact STRAINING YOUR EYES because they will try to focus something that is just out of focus.

Its not a fucking movie with often shifting camera angles and even movies BOTHER to keep things in focus WHEN its a panoramic shoot.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Also shadows are shit. Have you noticed how some are darker than others - even though they belong to different parts of the same object?

Leave Gamebryo alone.

Misterhamper

Scholar
MetalCraze said:
Also shadows are shit. Have you noticed how some are darker than others - even though they belong to different parts of the same object?

Leave Gamebryo alone.

Next you're probably gonna say you would rather play with no shadows than with shadows. :rpgcodex:

SoupNazi

Drakron said:
Well I have to disagree on that, one issue I have with modders they are tend to go EXTREME ... take textures, many think they can just sharp and add noise and voila! HD textures and that is not even the worst, the worst is when they go "photorealistic" and downright ignore the art direction.

DOF efforts usually go to the extreme were everything is just blurred and its not something you should be even doing because the focus or defocus should be done by YOUR eyes, things SHOULD be sharp with the haze effect be on distant LOD objects, by blurring the crap out of it you are in fact STRAINING YOUR EYES because they will try to focus something that is just out of focus.

Its not a fucking movie with often shifting camera angles and even movies BOTHER to keep things in focus WHEN its a panoramic shoot.
Yeah modders "tend", "when", "usually", ... This is completely fine. It adds fucking shadows to a game that so far had NONE. If anything, atmosphere is improved, and art direction? When did Fallout 3 ever have one? What, that everything was plastic and yellow/brownish? Yeah the DOF may look a little overdone in that one screenshot, the mountains in the background seem a little blurry. So fucking what? It's an improvement over the jagged mess in vanilla.

The only reason DOF bothers us in games is that we can at any time stop and focus on another part of the screen, when the character is still focusing on the same spot in the center. If you move the mouse along with the way you want to look then you'll never notice any blur on the sides because hey, DOF is actually a real thing. Of course this isn't plausible in games until we get VR helmets but it's just another one of those things that the Codex uselessly rages about for the sake of raging.

Overall if I have to decide between plastic, boring looking Fallout with no atmosphere and darker, more atmospheric Fallout with shadows, I know what I'm gonna choose. It may not be perfect, it's definitely not photorealistic, and you can find faults in it, but it's so much fucking better than vanilla Fallout that I'd like to shove my fist so far up the people like Skyway's throats it'd come out of their ass, because that's where they're talking from.

MetalCraze said:

Yeah bro. Because when I'm playing the game I'm much more likely to notice that some shadows of the same object are a little darker or lighter than noticing that object isn't casting any shadows at all. I literally stop at every item and examine the shadow it casts for 2 minutes before I move on. :retarded:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom