Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DX2 was awesome, so Eidos is making a sequel... TEASER's UP!

Deleted member 7219

I thought people here didn't much like Deus Ex 2?

pug987

Scholar
I think RK47 was being sarcastic.

Deus Ex 2 is one of the worst games I've ever played. It's awful! Not just as a sequel to Deus Ex which was pretty good by the standards of the time it came out and a real classic by today's standards.

Now the good news is that it is impossible to make Deus Ex 3 worse than 2 so it may be worth looking forward to it, although if they follow the trend it'll probably be a pure fps, devoid of all the rpg elements.

suleo

Scholar
pug987 said:
Now the good news is that it is impossible to make Deus Ex 3 worse than 2

Always the optimist. How is it impossible?

Section8

Cipher
Wow, as if the first one didn't already "read" like a retarded 12 year old's X-Files fanfic, now it's got a heavier dose of Da Vinci Code too. :(

Tails

Arbiter
Another game made for consoles with bad porting to PC.

Games for next-generation consoles – Xbox 360, PS3, PC, and Wii
Even PC's are now next-gen consoles :?

Nael

Arcane
Section8 said:
Wow, as if the first one didn't already "read" like a retarded 12 year old's X-Files fanfic, now it's got a heavier dose of Da Vinci Code too. :(

Next stop: Steampunk Cyborgz!!!

fastpunk

Arbiter
DW:IW was a decent game, nothing special though. And it was decent only because it was the sequel to Deus Ex and was set in the same world as the first, not really on its own merits. As for Deus Ex 3, I'm surprised it didn't happen earlier, Eidos probably wanted to wait until the fanbase's rage died down. :lol: Anyway, there are a lot of job openings at Eidos Montreal, I wonder what Warren Spector is doing right now. :roll:

the_Consumer

Novice
IW was so bad, that they even renamed DX: Clan Wars to Project Snowblind in order to disconnect it from the bad repultation. Maybe, just maybe, they learned something.

And DX:IW was not just a bad DX, but a bad gamr overall. Even if we ignorr the dumbed down-ness, I simply can't name a single game where firing a gun felt as unsatisfying as in that game. It was simply a pain to play.

DraQ

Arcane
fastpunk said:
DW:IW was a decent game, nothing special though. And it was decent only because it was the sequel to Deus Ex and was set in the same world as the first, not really on its own merits.
I believe it translates to "it sucked horribly".

If a game is 'decent' based only on the greatness of it's predecessor and not on it's own merits, it not only sucks on its own, but drags the entire series down.

Herbert West

Arbiter
Well, I'll be keeping an eye on that one and maybe, just maybe it turns out to be digestable?

doctor_kaz

Scholar
the_Consumer said:
IW was so bad, that they even renamed DX: Clan Wars to Project Snowblind in order to disconnect it from the bad repultation. Maybe, just maybe, they learned something..

Hah hah. I forgot about that. I read when IW came out that Deus Ex 3 was already in pre-production and they also had a movie in pre-production at the time. Invisible war killed the entire franchise and it gave Ion Storm such a bad reputation that it effectively killed off the Thief franchise as well. What a disastrous game that was.

As far as Invisible War being a good stand-alone game, it had all kinds of problems besides the fact that it took a gigantic shit all over the first one. The problems included:
1. Abysmal AI
2. Broken physics
3. Small levels with long loading times. The PC would minimize to the desktop for loading screens.
4. Huge, gigantic text size apparently written for a 90-year old legally blind man
5. Worthless faction/choice system
6. Broken stealth
7. Terrible terrible interface
8. Practically nonexistent ambient music
9. Crap level design
10. Getting maxed out on all of your augmentations 2/3 of the way through the game.

The game was a complete piece of shit.

Herbert West

Arbiter
doctor_kaz said:
Invisible war killed the entire franchise and it gave Ion Storm such a bad reputation that it effectively killed off the Thief franchise as well. What a disastrous game that was.

Ah yes, I remember Ion Storm flop and go down the drain along with John "Design is Law" Romero. What a glorious spectacle that was :lol:

dhnhjipvvq.jpg

Say what?

juwewqhild.jpg

don_tomaso

Liturgist
Omg. Look at that picture om Romero; he actually IS super designed.. I mean, look at the direction his beardstraws are lined up in, and then look how smoothly his hair is following thier direction, every strand of hair is in a perfect angle.. oh, such a guy

Herbert West

Arbiter
don_tomaso said:
Omg. Look at that picture om Romero; he actually IS super designed.. I mean, look at the direction his beardstraws are lined up in, and then look how smoothly his hair is following thier direction, every strand of hair is in a perfect angle.. oh, such a gay

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
i wonder if there is, on the internet, someone who is to Daikatana as Volourn is to NWN

he should post here

hey mod fags move this thread to GD this is RPG Discussion biatch

Xi

Arcane
I think the Deus Ex franchise has potential, I'll be looking forward to this one. Personally, I enjoyed the Sci-Fi appeal of the games(especially DX1) not so much 2, but I never finished 2 to give it full analysis. Looks like the media dislikes it, but I could care less what they think. Hopefully the 3rd one can seal the deal and pick up where the second was lacking.

Good find.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom