Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dwarf Fortress- full graphics release (updated 4 III)

CrusaderTemplar

Liturgist
So we're just stuck in the age of myth for the time being. I noticed after world gen, one of the continents lacked goblin neighbors. Do any of you guys use Dwarf Therapist?

Yeesh

Magister
CrusaderTemplar said:
So we're just stuck in the age of myth for the time being. I noticed after world gen, one of the continents lacked goblin neighbors. Do any of you guys use Dwarf Therapist?

I was just coming by to complain that while the new version is much less buggy than I'd feared, playing without Dwarf Manager is driving me batty. So many fucking dwarves, and browsing through them one by one to find who's doing what and who's good at what is soul-crushingly sucky. Ow, my soul.

I haven't tried Dwarf Therapist, but I guess I will now since it's claiming stable support for .31 as of yesterday.

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=39229

CrusaderTemplar

Liturgist
Yeesh said:
CrusaderTemplar said:

I was just coming by to complain that while the new version is much less buggy than I'd feared, playing without Dwarf Manager is driving me batty. So many fucking dwarves, and browsing through them one by one to find who's doing what and who's good at what is soul-crushingly sucky. Ow, my soul.

I haven't tried Dwarf Therapist, but I guess I will now since it's claiming stable support for .31 as of yesterday.

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=39229

Dwarf Therapist is awesome. I been using it for 3-4 months now. I'm still waiting on a visualizer update or something =/

Multi-headed Cow

poocolator said:
Draft those motherfuckers into the People's Army of Fodder.
That's generally what I do. Fortresses that defend themselves with traps are for pussies.

Yeesh

Magister
poocolator said:
Draft those motherfuckers into the People's Army of Fodder.
Sure that's fine for the lame ones, but when you get two high-master whatzits then you want to demote your old whatzits to army duty and finding them can be a nightmare.

But more importantly, so far the one time I've had a big fortress in the new version, my army went crazy one by one and started killing everybody. It was a delightful downward spiral.

CrusaderTemplar

Liturgist
I started a new game too after my previous game had a bug where my two miners did not dig at all and then there was some pathfinder bugs. I haven't try the burrow system yet.

Multi-headed Cow

TRAINING IS FOR THE WEAK! YOU WILL BE FORGED IN THE FURNACE OF BATTLE TO SERVE ARMOK! KILL THE GOBLIN! BURN THE KOBOLD! PURGE THE TROLL!
gallery_imperial-guard_catachans_commissar-axe.jpg

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
I've always managed my fortresses without any add-ons. No wonder I've abandoned them eventually and admired no-life asspergers who have fortresses with hundreds of dwarves. Now thanks to Codex I found Therapist. :tearsofjoy:

Also, anyone willing to explain how the burrows thing is supposed to work?

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
Terrible pathfinding/searching as far as constructions go. There's always a problem with the materials screen when you place a construction. Usually, waiting a moment resets the screen, but it's a pain.
I mean, say you wanted to build a wall in an area just excavated, then the materials screen wouldn't show the 99 gabbro you have lying around in your fort until you wait 30 seconds or so before trying the construction again.

Also, the dwarves in general seem a lot more reluctant to build any sort of construction. Paving the surface using rocks from your fort a few levels below the soil, is a big pain in the ass.

Another problem: burrows tend to crash my game :( even though I've yet to find a use for them. Apparently, they make good fall-back zones for dwarves fleeing combat (?) and you can use them to segregate your dwarves to different "mini-forts".

I haven't tried training, yet, so I can't say anything about that. But now that I've finally fucking dug my way to hell and its magma (god knows how many z-levels below 0 it's at), I'll get to producing some iron armor and weapons. I'll begin my training of fodder shortly thereafter.

EDIT:
This farming-only-on-muddy-tiles bug (is it a bug?) is excruciatingly trying. I've now found the easiest way to farm is to punch a hole into a cavern, whose floors are always already somehow covered with mud.

Multi-headed Cow

BACK IN THE DAY you had to re-mud tiles to farm underground, going back to hardcore dwarf hardbody professional play.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom