Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Dungeon Siege III Review

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
too little, too late.

Zeriel

Arcane
Really? We're upholding DS 1 & 2, i.e "Screensaver Siege 1 & 2", as bastions of ARPG design?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Obsidian cannot into RTS-ARPG design, aka Dungeon Siege 1&2. Thats right, it is real time strategy game with rpg elements. However, DS2 has been tainted by Diablo. Peer pressure I guess. Not an entirely a bad design choice. Just offers slightly less freedom versatility in character builds, than the first game ( DS 1 ). That means you have to have special characters for each combat style. Wait...you have special powers. Hmmm...
Taylor envisioned DS3 as a single-character Diablo clone even before Obsidian was in the picture http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/chris-taylor-reveals-dungeon-siege-3

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
It's a worthy successor to the dungeon siege series (games and movies) and at least as good as the first two games.

:thumbsup:

Stabwound

Arcane
Dungeon Siege was a fantasy train simulator, Dungeon Siege 2 was a surprisingly fun Diablo clone, and I have no idea about Dungeon Siege 3, because I quit playing the demo after 5 minutes.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I had fun with Dungeon siege 2, wasn't a screensaver, it was necessary to manage the abilities of your group, it worked as a less complex Dragon Age combat system, for a proper RPG it was shit but for a loot whore game it had a surprising complex system. Dungeon Siege 3 is ... well... shit. Obsidian introduced an interesting story but popamolified the gameplay for the consoles. They took out the main reason to play a Dungeon Siege game, the party management. So instead of trying combinations of different abilities from different characters you only needed to spam one or two abilities and abuse the dodge button.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Since this thread is already bumped...

It's available for $5 on gamersgate, but it requires steam.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I liked the original DS because I didn't know better.

I couldn't play DS3 because of the camera, so I don't know if it's any good.

some guy

Novice
I liked what Dungeon Siege 1 was going for; simplistic units command with focused formations/preparations party controls. It never quite managed to provide much in form of tactics and was plagued with poor leveling system and bland story, but it managed to entice me into thinking I made some strategic choices.

Still, I admire they "at least" tried going for something fresh.

RK47

Patron
DS 1 may have some strategic gameplay, but the skill-up mechanics is just broken.
It's like pseudo TES in party environment with limited pool of monsters and gold in the world.
This leads to problem such as the highest level character getting the lion's share of the EXP while the lowest level character had to be micro'ed to get the most out of every encounter. And if you're out of monsters to practice on, you're shit out of luck. Have fun getting those lowbies one or two shotted while contributing very little in a high level encounter.

Which is why a lot of people simply said 'fuck that' and AFK self cast Nature Armor / Healing over and over on the warrior that is tanking a lone monster.
It MIGHT be fun if you like tedious gameplay, but for people who 'play the game' at its face level - it's gonna be frustrating once you advance to mid game and had to deal with the problems you didn't foresee due to the broken 'level up as you use skill' system.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Dungeon Siege was a fantasy train simulator, Dungeon Siege 2 was a surprisingly fun Diablo clone, and I have no idea about Dungeon Siege 3, because I quit playing the demo after 5 minutes.

DS3 is basically a beat'em up. A sorta I guess alright-ish.

Which is why a lot of people simply said 'fuck that' and AFK self cast Nature Armor / Healing over and over on the warrior that is tanking a lone monster.

I have no idea who in his right mind would do anything like this.

RK47

Patron
Look, if you really want something better than DS3 , go play Marvel Ultimate Alliance.

RK47

Patron
But how can that- Oh, wait. It's alright, Wild Man is cancelled. We're safe now.

RK47

Patron
If it's fun for you to micromanage 'party contribution hit-wise' JUST TO BALANCE the party mechanics - then good for you. But to me, that sort of mechanics is just tedious. The fun to reward ratio is rather poor. I rather jump on Jagged Alliance 2 and enjoy a 'smoother' leveling curve that I can still finish the game without relying on meta-gaming the 'usage = level up' mechanics extensively. It's more fun too.

tindrli

Arcane
Look, if you really want something better than DS3 , go play Marvel Ultimate Alliance.

or just play Turrican
600full-turrican-screenshot.jpg

at least its a game

RK47

Patron
i don't think it's even possible to solo . as the first boss showed. you just quaff pots or die a horrible death with your first companion.

RK47

Patron
ok.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom