Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Dungeon Siege III Interviews

circ

Arcane
I turned off auto tracking camera before I even picked a character. Seemed like the right thing to do as people were complaining about the camera.

It just feels completely unnatural and clunky to play it with their version of WASD. Maybe I need to involve my dick to hit some hidden controls, I don't know. I doubt it, as people playing with a controller still aren't happy with it. I'll just save time and laugh at Obsidian some more when their next game comes out, unless they fold before that, here's hoping.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
circ said:
I turned off auto tracking camera before I even picked a character. Seemed like the right thing to do as people were complaining about the camera.

It just feels completely unnatural and clunky to play it with their version of WASD. Maybe I need to involve my dick to hit some hidden controls, I don't know. I doubt it, as people playing with a controller still aren't happy with it. I'll just save time and laugh at Obsidian some more when their next game comes out, unless they fold before that, here's hoping.

You still haven't said what the problem is? I simply do not see how it could be improved - the camera just goes where you point it. Is it the perspective/angle that bothers you? Seems about the same as every other 3D 3/4 aRPG I've played.

Admittedly it would have been nice to get a lower angled view when zoomed in so you could see further ahead, but that's no deal-breaker. Also, as I said, I've been playing with a controller, which seemed the obvious choice - guess I should try it with KB&M, maybe then I'd understand.

Mind you, I could never see much wrong with the NWN2 camera either, yet people still rage about that one.

circ

Arcane
Well, it's a little hard to describe. Maybe you have to hate it to really get it. I didn't like NWN 2 camera either but it didn't render the whole game unplayable, that was just one of its many problems.

Anyway, I'll try to explain it. The camera doesn't move naturally. It feels like my character is not actually moving at all and that the scenery just rolls around like some trippy dream. It feels like I'm a pinball ball. Then there's the really horrible angle that doesn't show anything of interest. So, that was enough for me to give up on it.

pocahaunted

Arcane
circ said:
Well, it's a little hard to describe. Maybe you have to hate it to really get it. I didn't like NWN 2 camera either but it didn't render the whole game unplayable, that was just one of its many problems.

Anyway, I'll try to explain it. The camera doesn't move naturally. It feels like my character is not actually moving at all and that the scenery just rolls around like some trippy dream. It feels like I'm a pinball ball. Then there's the really horrible angle that doesn't show anything of interest. So, that was enough for me to give up on it.

This. Plus the camera has a knack for pointing towards useless walls while you're being ganked by countless enemies. Its design is very clunky and the zoom option adds very little since it's pretty much binary - bad and can't-see-shit. I'd rather have a decent fixed camera in my ARPGs every single day.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom