Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dungeon Siege 3 Review Roundup

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
Gamespot 6.0

"Dungeon Siege III is a fun but unambitious dungeon crawler that fails to live up to the games that came before it." - Gamespot

Metacritic 71

"Summary: DUNGEON SIEGE 3 seamlessly blends intuitive action gameplay, a robust RPG system featuring a large selection of abilities, an extensive multiplayer component and the depth of story Square Enix and Obsidian Entertainment are known for creating." - Metacritic

IGN - Xbox360 6.5

"CLOSING COMMENTS
Obsidian Entertainment's take on the Dungeon Siege franchise has some merit. The core combat system is well-designed, offering a small but useful set of abilities for each character class. The varied enemy encounters encourage the frequent use of abilities and the dodge mechanic, which makes the basic gameplay – whittling down the health bars of enemies – satisfying. But the rest of the game mostly falters, unfortunately, to a degree that overshadows its achievements. Dungeon Siege III is a dungeon crawler with a boring loot table, poorly implemented multiplayer, and little lasting incentive to continue running around the world once the tedious story ends." - IGN - Xbox360

Computerandvideogames.com 7.9

"This pleasant, if samey, stuff really benefits from the human touch. The more the merrier!" - computerandvideogames.com

Bit-tech.net 50%

"While we’ve been harsh throughout our review, Dungeon Siege isn’t a bad game per-se. It’s not horrible, broken, offensive, unfair or anything like that - it’s just completely bland. It doesn’t do anything new, and it doesn’t excel in anything either. Plus, while the combat is fine, it doesn't offer the fun, blast-through action experience of games such as Torchlight, Diablo or even Titan Quest. If you can convince someone to play co-op, it might be okay when it hits the Steam sales at a massively reduced price, but there are definitely better alternatives." - bit-tech.net

Joystiq 3.5/5

"It sounds like my Id's enjoyment of the plentiful loot and monsters was matched by his dislike of the measures required to bring you to said loot and monsters. I couldn't agree more: If you're looking to satisfy the most primal of urges, you could do worse than Dungeon Siege 3. It's unapologetically simple, revels in throwing huge amounts of collectibles at the player, and lets you sift through the mess it creates. It's just a shame the co-op isn't better implemented -- without a compelling multiplayer component, Dungeon Siege 3 lags behind its role-playing competitors." - Joystiq

gamerevolution.com - B

"Without a robust multiplayer, Dungeon Siege III puts itself into the category of solid single-player fantasy action RPG titles, which puts it in competition with the likes of Torchlight and DeathSpank, which are both strong downloadable titles for $15. So what you're essentially paying for in the difference is the graphical polish of the environments, a satisfactory storyline, and clean craftsmanship. If that sounds like a fine deal, then Dungeon Siege III is the right dungeon crawler for you." - gamerevolution.com

Actiontrip 7.8

"HIGHS
Obsidian finally proves it's capable of polishing a game at launch, cool story and characters, it takes some perseverance but the combat is genuinely enjoyable and challenging, as is the rest of the game, lovely soundtrack, solid voice-acting, all-in-all a pretty straightforward and well-executed hack'n'slash RPG;

LOWS
A slight step-back for party-based single-player gameplay, combat's not the best thing we've seen, healing is difficult sometimes, AI won't always revive your character in time, camera chooses to focus and zoom on its own randomly throughout the game and that's annoying in solo and coop play;" - Actiontrip

OXM UK 7/10

"Obsidian does try new things out and the Onyx engine looks great, despite a slightly claustrophobic camera. But the actual game is... well, it's either dated or classique, depending on your willingness to use words like classique. Dungeon Siege III comes with a moderate recommendation - but you'll have a lot more fun discussing strategies with a friend." - OXM UK

Gamefront 75/100

"It’s certainly true that most of these are trivial issues, and I want to stress that I really did enjoy Dungeon Siege 3. It’s easy to pick up, fun, in a repeptitive kind of way, and really does pull off couch co-op perfectly. It’s a deliberate update on old school magic-and-swords games such as Gauntlet. It’s fun, and you’ll enjoy it a lot, but chances are you won’t remember why and, once you put it back in the box, you won’t touch it again. Having taken 6 years to come out, it’s a shame that it feels less like the triumphant return of an old school(ish) franchise and more like shameless cashing in on a well-known brand." - Gamefront

I played the demo. The combat was clunky and wooden. The camera movement was terrible. The looting was annoying. The voice overs were stuttery on my rig. Based on the core gameplay mechanics that the demo allows you to experience I'd say this game is a huge disappointment and I won't be playing it unless it's offered on Steam for an enormous discount. :rpgcodex:

jiujitsu

Cipher
micmu said:
Summary: Dungeon Siege 3 is a massive flop.
No hope for Obsidian now, eh?

I say they should just bring back the Infinity Engine and crank out as much as they can before they go bankrupt. :thumbsup:

Shannow

Waster of Time
micmu said:
Huh? Did I miss new developments in rating schemes? "B" and "80"ish is still "ok" or isn't it? Considering what the pos deserves and what it got, Obsidian can be all smug and satisfied about those ratings.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Not all is lost, they can license the Dungeon Siege 3 engine to Bioware for DA3.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The game is pretty nice and atmospheric, even if definitely not great, so 7-something is just what it deserves.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Shannow said:
micmu said:
Huh? Did I miss new developments in rating schemes? "B" and "80"ish is still "ok" or isn't it? Considering what the pos deserves and what it got, Obsidian can be all smug and satisfied about those ratings.

70ish percentile is basically a zero from the mainstream outlets. Rarely do you see scores lower than 60ish or 6/10 unless it's in Kane & Lynch 2 territory.

jiujitsu

Cipher
Metro said:
70ish percentile is basically a zero from the mainstream outlets so, not surprising.

It's true.

90/100 is equivalent to 0/10; 91/100 = 1/10; and so on and so forth.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Still, I'm sure it will sell reasonably well on consoles which is what it was made for -- I'm trying to find the new DS3 commercial on youtube that I just saw on television. It's two early twenties console gamers dancing around doing friend stuff to the tune of 'Best friends' and in the end they play DS3 and it says: 'Couch co-op is back!' Target audience in a nutshell.

Here it is!

They even :bro: at the end!

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
oldmanpaco said:
So it's already $24 on Amazon. I figured why not and got it.
Got a link? Or was it on sale or something? I'm seeing $34 right now and the full $50 on Amazon.ca.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Wow it's already gone. I didn't ship from Amazon directly but from one of their partners (cdsomthing).

You snooze you loose.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
jiujitsu said:
Metro said:
70ish percentile is basically a zero from the mainstream outlets so, not surprising.

It's true.

Ignore the scores and read the reviews. They're generally positive impressions dragged down by various issues (camera, co-op, mouse/keyboard controls, not doing anything new, confusing stats and so on). It's more like SOZ than Alpha Protocol (which had it much worse) and there are some weirdos who even enjoy those games here.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Roguey said:
jiujitsu said:
Metro said:

It's true.

Ignore the scores and read the reviews. They're generally positive impressions dragged down by various issues (camera, co-op, mouse/keyboard controls, not doing anything new, confusing stats and so on). It's more like SOZ than Alpha Protocol (which had it much worse) and there are some weirdos who even enjoy those games here.

Or just play the demo and realize how bad the game truly is for yourself.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
jiujitsu said:
oldmanpaco said:
So it's already $24 on Amazon. I figured why not and got it.

You filthy traitor! You shame the Codex with your fanboism!

:x
If he is a traitor, what am I? I bought it on release, full priced. :smug:

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Those amazon reviews are a hoot
The original DUNGEON SIEGE was an unforgettable game that one can still greatly enjoy today.
This is not Dungeon Siege! The world is pretty much closed and you follow a predefined path. The world is not open like the other two Dungeon Siege games.
lol wut
Save your money not anything like the previous 2 versions. Dumb-ed down, terrible controls
Dumbed down from 'click click click click click click click click click click'? I mean, I've read reviews that say the pc controls are terribad unless you use a console controller, but that's not really dumbed down. And 'not anything like the previous 2' makes me consider buying it. During a steam sale when it's $5

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
ChristofferC said:
It's not a bad game. It's as good as 90% of games that get released these days.

Fixed.

Square Enix and Obsidian have pretty much released a budget game with a 50$ price tag hoping to cash in on both Dungeon Siege and Obsidian names. In few months like in case of DA2 the price will fall to more realistic level for this kind of product.

I personally am not a fan of h&s so I didnt have too much fun with this game or maybe the game just suck.

But lol at those Dungeon Siege fanboys who claim that first two games had open world exploration, how pathetic can you be to be a fan of one of the worst game series.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Metro said:
Or just play the demo and realize how bad the game truly is for yourself.
Yes, and that would be all good and relevant if I were discussing the quality of DS3 itself, however, I was talking solely about the tone of the reviews (which are lukewarm but not negative).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom