Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Dungeon Siege 3 Preview

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
It's not like I don't want dialog trees and C&C. But I don't expect it.

Those screenshots are pretty underwhelming. Can we lose the fucking dialog wheel already? FFS.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
129622029418.jpg

That's not Captain America! That's Elvis!

torpid

Liturgist
IronicNeurotic said:
torpid said:
Not only that, but acting like Ziet's input is going to turn the game into a deep RPG full of intricate C&C is wishful thinking

It's an action-rpg targeted more to consoles. Nobody in their right mind wants that. It's about slashing things in co-op. The only thing I want is an interesting story with it. And good writing. Overly C&C and too big dialouge trees aren't necessary here.

Also the writing in those screenshots is more than fine.

Fucking storyfaqs

I'm just saying that some fans are pretending that it's going to be something more than a Diablo-style crapfest, simply because it's Obsidian.

Mangoose said:
Nine skills... Which I guess is fine if the game is complex action-wise. If not, then that's some dumbing down right there.

I'm just nitpicking. There are some good sounding things in that preview, but it seemed like nobody noticed the warning signs above.

I can't remember, didn't Dungeon Siege have no skills? Just weapon proficiencies and spells?

Regardless this doesn't look enticing, just like the previous two games, surprise! The only thing keeping Diablo 2 and its ilk(or lack thereof) interesting were its decent skill set and character builds, taking them out leaves one dull as hell game I wouldn't touch.

And the fucking graphic whore faggots, god damn, you are one of many cancers fucking up modern gaming. Why not find some pics of hot ass celebrities to bitch about how god damn boner killing ugly they are while explaining that real world hot and movie hot are two different things.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
space odyssey said:
Mangoose said:
Nine skills... Which I guess is fine if the game is complex action-wise. If not, then that's some dumbing down right there.

I'm just nitpicking. There are some good sounding things in that preview, but it seemed like nobody noticed the warning signs above.

I can't remember, didn't Dungeon Siege have no skills? Just weapon proficiencies and spells?
I meant dumbing down figuratively, like comparing it to better Action RPGs. Probably should've used a different phrase but eh too lazy.

I agree, but then again, this is a sequel for Dungeon siege, not better ARPGs, so it's kind of a slight incline for this series, which is also why I never liked it.

Shannow

Waster of Time
space odyssey said:
I agree, but then again, this is a sequel for Dungeon siege, not better ARPGs, so it's kind of a slight incline for this series, which is also why I never liked it.
It's the sequel to Dungeon Siege 2 which, in fact, had skill-trees.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
From what I got out of these previews and before every class has its 9 seperate skills and all of these skills have a skilltree with two seperate branches. Also apparently some skills can be combined.

Sannom

Augur
Mangoose said:
I'm not just noting the dumbing down here, but also that it sounds intrusive as hell if, say, I want to maneuver to a specific position and NOT attack. If it's an option, that's okay.

I think Feargus over-simplified things there. According to Lead Designer Nathaniel Chapman on the Obs boards, the gamepad simply has auto-aim : you don't need to aim perfectly for your foes, if you're close enough and in the general direction, you will hit him.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
torpid said:
I'm just saying that some fans are pretending that it's going to be something more than a Diablo-style crapfest, simply because it's Obsidian.
It seems more like it's going to be a Divinity 2-style crapfest. It has choices, see?
2isxzsy.jpg

Expecting an arms dealer.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
Freelance Henchman said:
Oh, are they going all Mass Effect Paragon-is-always-upper-left-option dialog wheel too?

Considering that the paragon option here (Do not accept Gold) is in the second row. No.

But without seeing other dialouges its hard to say.

Shannow said:
space odyssey said:
It's the sequel to Dungeon Siege 2 which, in fact, had skill-trees.

As I said I couldn't remember, I do remember actually finishing the 2nd one in my weaker days, though I can remember nothing from it except it being as deep as a puddle, it won't take much for my comments to still stand.

Though from the looks of things I won't be finding out, but its Dungeon Siege, so who really cares.

Sannom

Augur
Freelance Henchman said:
Oh, are they going all Mass Effect Paragon-is-always-upper-left-option dialog wheel too?

I seem to remember talk about choices basically separated between 'Traditional' and 'Pragmatic', yes. Although which one is is traditional and which one is pragmatic in that case isn't evident.

bhlaab

Erudite
Divine Divinity managed to take diablo and make something cool out of it and this sounds pretty much like that

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom