Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Dungeon Siege 3 Announced

Felix

Arcane
Hmmm, I like those artworks, give off MoTB vibe somehow.

Der_Unbekannte

Educated
Whisperer said:
first lines from Uwe Boll DS movie :

Muriella: I knew you'd come.
Gallian: I told you I would.
Muriella: I mean, I felt it. I felt it before you came.

further lines :

Duke Farrow: Tarish! Prepare your troops to ride! Hordes of Krug are ransacking the land! Oh, the sun is blistering my skin.
Commander Tarish: What is this nonsense you speak?

last but not least :

Norick: Now give me the chicken.
Solana: [laughing] Don't give him the chicken.
Norick: Give me the chicken!
[Holds chicken making chomping noises]
Norick: Arf! Arf! Arf!

Still searching a Uwe Boll collection. Would totaly buy it.

Angthoron

Arcane
Now that they went into this kind of deals, the next logical step would be to co-develop a MMORPG just like their source of inspiration.

Perfect World 2 - enter a world of intreague and danger, a world where you can yiff without putting on a heavy furry suit, a world where flying animal pyramids make sense. Coming to you from the original development team and the legendary Obsidian Entertainment is a MMORPG unlike any you've seen before!

Our fantastic new title will feature:

* New classes, each with their own quest lines and options; experience the life as a spy, a demon that consumes spirits of his victims, or a mighty paladin severed from the source of his power yet eager to restore the connection and save the world!

* Ground-breaking dialogue system! Completely uninfluenced by SW:tOR, our system offers four and a half options for every conversation, persuasion checks and choice and consequence - all in tight action-packed QTE dialogue sections!

* Unparalleled replayability! Four and a half options per each dialogue turn, over twelve classes and class options, thousands of dialogue entries, our game will have the player replaying the same class over and over just to see how every option of dialogue plays out!

* Written by the legendary Chris Avellone, the quality of the dialogue and the stories are nothing short of the greatness of the legendary Planescape: Torment, Neverwinter Nights 2 and Alpha Protocol!

* Free to play model ensures you are able to purchase patches to our superb product quickly and easily!

* Romanceable henchman NPCs! Seduce an innocent yet fiery Neko-Neko Chan or find yourself on even footing with the strong yet feminine and mysterious Fall-From-Rice! Female-oriented romances will be available as well, furthermore, so will the male-on-male, female-on-female and other romances!

* Additionally, you can romance any NPC you meet! (You can also slam their head against the table, shoot a crossbow bolt in their kneecap or speak like a professional adventurer to them)

* More rainbows!

Morkar Left

A weird announcement. At least it is a franchise that is immune to rape. And it is basically impossible to fuck it up gameplaywise. But on a technical level I see serious problems for Obsidian.
But I wonder why bother at all with DS. They could easily develop their own franchise and have the same sympathy on their side (maybe even more). I think the decision to do this was only business/money-related.
Oh and the mention of consoles first let me assume that the game will have all the complexity of DS1, maybe even more streamlined. The story will be decent I guess.

@Uwe Boll
He´s a genius in creating trashmovies. Every franchise he takes over turns to trash. And a trash game license like Postal was his best movie. He should simply stick with weird trashgame licenses.

ricolikesrice

Arcane
Morkar said:
And it is basically impossible to fuck it up gameplaywise.

i m pretty sure even dungeon siege fans would be insulted by playing storms of zehir, so i wouldnt bet on that argument.

Aikanaro

Liturgist
What the fuck?

I'm not going to rule out the possibility that they can turn this into something good by ignoring the source material and doing whatever they like, but I'm not willing to defend them any more. They seem to have given up on making the sort of games I like to play.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
WanderingThrough2 said:
But has anyone observed the irony in the fact that Obsidian went off and formed an indie studio and have ended up producing incredibly constrained, licensed properties left and right?
I don't think they were ever considered or considered themselves an indie studio. That's the problem.

ChristofferC

Magister
I'm so excited, and I just can't hide it.
And I know, I know, I know, I know,
I know, I want you, I want you Dungeon Siege 3!

* Ground-breaking dialogue system! Completely uninfluenced by SW:tOR, our system offers four and a half options for every conversation, persuasion checks and choice and consequence - all in tight action-packed QTE dialogue sections!

action packed dialogue

gia1.gif

Angthoron

Arcane
ChristofferC said:
Clockwork Knight said:

action packed dialogue

No, no. You have to punch the dialogue option within five seconds of dialogue appearing or the game will randomly pick an option for you. Very action-packed! High-involvement! Think Dance-Dance-Revolution.

ZbojLamignat

Educated
I get the impression that most of you didn't even try DS 2 due to how shit the first one was (apart from nice music and awesome engine). I don't really blame you - DS 1 has to be one of the most boring games ever.

DS 2 however, was a huge improvement and was a really good h'n's. But the "h'n's" part has to be stressed, as most of you don't really get the fact that not being a troika-developed crpg does not necessarily make game shit.

Shannow

Waster of Time
ZbojLamignat said:
I get the impression that most of you didn't even try DS 2 due to how shit the first one was (apart from nice music and awesome engine). I don't really blame you - DS 1 has to be one of the most boring games ever.

DS 2 however, was a huge improvement and was a really good h'n's. But the "h'n's" part has to be stressed, as most of you don't really get the fact that not being a troika-developed crpg does not necessarily make game shit.
No

madbringer

Arcane
What "no", DS2 really was a huge improvement over DS1. It's actually a decent game, if you're into extremely linear lootan gaems, and i could see myself play it again if a wave of boredom suddenly struck me.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I kinda liked DS1. It had some pretty environments, good music, and searching for secrets was fun.

But DS2, while it expanded the game a bit, was complete and utter shit. The skill trees were dull, uninspired and usually ineffective. Not to mention that they tried making it 'story-driven', which didn't do the game any good. I also think the party member limit was reduced, but I'm not quite sure.

Shannow

Waster of Time
madbringer said:
What "no", DS2 really was a huge improvement over DS1. It's actually a decent game, if you're into extremely linear lootan gaems, and
No
i could see myself play it again if a wave of boredom suddenly struck me.
Yes

I'm for a segregation of opinions and facts. All opinions presented as facts will be labeled as "no", because I disagree out of principle. All opinions that are presented as opinions will be labeled as "yes", because I couldn't care less and that rhymes.

On a (slightly) more serious note:
DS1 vs DS2 is like D1 vs D2, only that DS1 didn't have any atmosphere to ruin. And unlike D3, DS3 will probably not resemble its predecessors at all. So discussing which DS game was less crappy really has no impact at all as to Obsidian's ability to make a good game.

ZbojLamignat

Educated
Darth Roxor said:
I kinda liked DS1. It had some pretty environments, good music, and searching for secrets was fun.

But DS2, while it expanded the game a bit, was complete and utter shit. The skill trees were dull, uninspired and usually ineffective. Not to mention that they tried making it 'story-driven', which didn't do the game any good. I also think the party member limit was reduced, but I'm not quite sure.
As opposed to skill trees in DS1? :smug:

Come on, DS2 wasn't a piece of art, but it was better than DS1 in every way possible, apart from the fact that the engine got a lot older.

Nice game to loot a little and get bored, like with any h'n's played offline.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
ZbojLamignat said:

Yes, they weren't even there. But, somehow, it made DS1 better.

Come on, DS2 wasn't a piece of art, but it was better than DS1 in every way possible, apart from the fact that the engine got a lot older.

No.

Angthoron

Arcane
Darth Roxor said:

I actually almost completed DS1 - without using any magic at all, up til a point with some retarded boss fight that was so effortlessly easy that I stopped playing. It was rather fun to explore the areas and be a disgusting munchkin. The first game was pretty tolerable.

Shannow

Waster of Time
ZbojLamignat said:
Darth Roxor said:

Nice game to loot a little and get bored, like with any h'n's played offline.
No

madbringer

Arcane
:lol:

And unlike D3, DS3 will probably not resemble its predecessors at all. So discussing which DS game was less crappy really has no impact at all as to Obsidian's ability to make a good game.

That's a good point.

Angthoron

Arcane
Holy shit, Obsidian apologists can even excuse this abomination of an alliance.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom