Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Dungeon Siege 2 thumped by NextLevelGaming

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Dungeon Siege 2

<A href="http://www.gaspowered.com/ds2">Dungeon Siege 2</a> earns it's first <A href="http://www.nlgaming.com/pc/nl/asp/id_1207/pc/nl/reviewDisp.htm">negative review</a> from <A href="http://www.nlgaming.com/">Next Level Gaming</a>. While there is no overall score that I noticed, <b>Controls</b> scored a <b>3</b> and <b>Fun</b> scored a <b>4</b>.
<br>
<blockquote>Poor controls, a camera that sometimes gets in the way, repetitive and tedious combat, frankly the game is not ready for the market. The smooth transition is nice when going from one area to the next, however, unless I’m mistaken it is more obvious when you are moving from a "cave" to the "outside" in Dungeon Siege II than it was in Dungeon Siege I. As strange as it seems, after that blasting, this is probably the area where I must give the development team the most credit. What they did do, they did very well, since I already slammed the game for the controls and fun, I will focus on the rest of the game. On that account this game is put together very nicely. The NPC’s have some decent AI (except I had trouble getting them to run before they died), the leveling system is clear and easy to understand… kinda. The inventory has an auto sort button which is very nice, no sarcasm here, I really like not having to move around items for 10 minutes just to fit a knife into my pack. Plus, you can get a mule to follow you around to help you carry even more items. There is also the wonderful "z" key that commands your forces to pick up everything on the ground they can see, very nice. The quick buttons for health potions are a necessity with all the running you have to do in the game. These little touches really help the game out, and thereby bring up this categories score a large amount.</blockquote>
<br>
If the first game had the character system of the second game as well as some of the other nice additions and item drops, I think it would have been better than either the original or the sequel. That's my first impression from the demo, at least.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.bluesnews.com">Blue's News</A>

Digit

Liturgist
To be fair the control system really gets on my nerves sometimes. So thats a good call on their behalf. I have no issues with ther camera or combat however. Just use the keyboard to control the camera, other your mouse ends up doing 90% of all the work which is way too cumbersome.

The one thing I am STILL missing, even since DS1 is a fucking key to change spell slots. This better be in the full version because if you play a decent magic user you will have an AoE and a direct attack spell which you will intermix as needed. It is just total bs that they didn't take 2 seconds to give them a control. Auto cast is very nice, but some things like Transmute, you don't want on autocast.

Powers on the other hand yeah they get a control. Great. How often do you need to use powers? Once every few mins if that, spells you are using all the time. Gah!

Digit
====
Forum fly...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom