Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dune: Spice Wars - 4X/RTS from Wartales developers

Harthwain

Magister
Aren't the Fedaykin a creation of Paul/Maud'dib?
Yes. They are taking "creative liberties" with the Fremen. Probably want to cash in on the popularity(?) of the recent movie?

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
https://steamcommunity.com/app/1605220/eventcomments/3271310323762417514

Seems it's going to be wholly based on the recent movie instead of the books... unwishlited.

Dl0wOum.png

8x7vQ6X.png

Yeah that community manager's responses are hilarious. I looked at his post history and some responses from yesterday were edited today. So perhaps his boss had a little talk with him to stay on message. Then again this appears to be the message:

jqt77hc4.jpg

/e: just noticed he even contradicts his own statement. First it's all like "gender shouldn't matter, I don't see color" next time it was a deliberate choice because empowerment.

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
Every fucking time. Oh well, that saves time and money as I won't pay attention to this anymore.
Unless mods fix that, which is to be seen. Gameplay is also at risk, if PC bullshit is seen as a priority.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I don't expect an RTS to stick too close to the novels. Dune 2 was basically "let's make Operation Desert Storm except futuristic" and that turned out great.

vota DC

Augur
Since Fremen are a faction rather than a subfaction Paul can fight them just to say "Rule of thumb, you can't kill the Messiah!"

Harthwain

Magister
I don't expect an RTS to stick too close to the novels. Dune 2 was basically "let's make Operation Desert Storm except futuristic" and that turned out great.
You could make an RTS that doesn't stick too close to the novels, while still making it feel like Dune. Emperor: Battle for Dune is exactly what you're talking about: it has Harkonnen and Atreides factions that feel like they are from the books, but all of their characters are original (well, aside from Lady Elara and Emperor Corrino). But if you straight up take characters from the novels (LITERALLY) then it is not unreasonable to expect you to stick to the source material as close as possible. The talk about "modernizing the messenger only makes the message more powerful" is pure bullshit. Don't try to fix what isn't broken and think like you can do better than the author of the original books.

There is a reason why the leader of Fremen of a man - he leads the tribe. At the same time the top spiritual/advisor figure is a woman (essentially a Fremen version Reverend Mother). It is acknowledged in the books that the tribe's survival is only possible by having a Reverend Mother who guides the journey (probably because of their massive experience. Although the Reverend Mother Superior was said to have some form of limited insight into the future by having some sort of "superior abilities", although I doubt it was as powerful as what Muad'Dib had when he became Kwistaz Haderach). By the way, the order of women in the books consists purely of superior females who are restraining themselves to make themselves look less like a major threat they know they are.

So, in my opinion having a female Fremen leader is undermining Frank Herbert's work, not "making the message more powerful". But in order to know that you'd have to read the book and actually understand it, without trying to insert your modern politcks into it. In fact, considering how many departures there were in the movie (10 minutes in!) I don't have much hope in the game if that's the course they decided to take (as I suspect). I will still watch and see how the gameplay turns out, but I am very disappointed and my day is ruined regardless.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Gender flips are lame, but I think it's reasonable from a commercial perspective for the devs to copy what the movie did. People are going to compare this game to the movie, it's inescapable.

Harthwain

Magister
Gender flips are lame, but I think it's reasonable from a commercial perspective for the devs to copy what the movie did. People are going to compare this game to the movie, it's inescapable.
Sure, but then just say so, instead of trying to conjure an argument that doesn't even make sense in an attempt to justify your departure from the book.

lightbane

Arcane
By the way, the order of women in the books consists purely of superior females who are restraining themselves to make themselves look less like a major threat they know they are.

The OG novel had very powerful women yep, but that's not enough nowadays. It's never enough.

Trithne

Erudite
Dropped. Flanderisation of the character of Liet from a man with a vision and determination into a hippy. Probably extends to the Fremen as a whole.

"Modernising the messenger makes the message more powerful". Leaving Liet as a man spouting this ecofacsist tripe would be more powerful since its not what you'd expect. And what's this "building a sustainable planet with local communities"?

The Fremen, and Liet, wanted to create a paradise on Arrakis for religious reasons, and because fuck deserts. Not because they believed in neoliberal community movements and climate change. Their entire goal is climate change on a planetary scale.

zapotec

Liturgist
jihad, messiah, feudal kingdoms in space, ritual combats, concubines a very modern book indeed

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well? Is it shit?

:rpgcodex:
It's kind of "meh".

The atmosphere is IMO just not there and it doesn't really feel Dune-like (especially compared to the older Dune games).
Somehow, I found the music lacking especially, which is weird as I usually don't even notice game music that much.
The UI needs a lot of work and clearly the tutorial is a complete mess - though both of these can be excused, given the early access state.

All-in-all, I feel strongly reminded of Endless Space 2. Game mechanics that are really good (or at least potentially so), but the entire game seems so clean and sanitized and abstract in a way that I just can't get immersed at all.
But it also has to be said that a lot of people seem to love it already (just like lots of people loved Endless Space 2), so idk...

I really wouldn't say it's a bad game, but you be the judge if "kinda okay" is good enough for you if there are better 4X games around.

That whole Liet thing is funny, but I couldn't care less about stuff like that if the rest of the game was really good.

Last edited:

Naraya

Arcane
entire game seems so clean and sanitized and abstract in a way that I just can't get immersed at all.
Hmm, interesting. Now that you said it I got the very same feeling after watching the new Dune movie. I liked it a lot (the movie) but I prefer my Dune depicted like in Lynch creation.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Heard harvesters instantly warp money to your account instead of having to go back to the refinery for this game, which makes sandworms a lot less of a threat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom