Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dumbing down

Neverwhere

Novice
I have been wondering whether this forum really needs any of my nit-picking, when everything I want to say has already been expressed by others who are far better at this sort of thing than I ever hope to be.

I guess my conclusion was no, but since it won’t matter, here I go anyway:

This is about what has been referred to as the “dumbing down” of combat. I will not contest the fact that combat has been getting easier and easier ever since I started playing CRPGs in the 80s. The reasons are blatantly obvious: games such as the gold box series were designed for nerds such as myself, who would go on to brag in school after beating Tyranthraxus the other day. In return, I would get acknowledging nods from the other nerds, who had spent their whole day trying to get their hands on that necklace of missiles in Valjevo Castle’s Temple of Bane – in vain. Nowadays, on the other hand, games are designed for… well, for people who spend equally much time in front of their computers (perhaps even more), but who simply do not care for something as old-fashioned as a good “challenge”. Games are designed for those with a short attention span – instant gratification guaranteed.

But has combat really been “dumbed down”? In the old days, did battles present you with a myriad of options, allowing you to twiddle and twitch the odds in your favour? Let’s have a look at what probably was the prime of 80s tactical combat:

1092618330-00.png

969658549-00.gif

Truth is, options in the gold box games were few. Your fighter could attack, or move and attack, or guard; your mage and priests could throw spells; and your thief was useless (as is usual in any D&D-based game). The difficulty of combat had little to do with tactical micro-management of combat options. The real problem was of a strategic nature: the gold box games threw monsters at you in unbelievable numbers, and the difficulty level of your average random encounter could well approach that of a boss fight (something that, apparently, even codexers considered annoying when it was repeated much later on in Arcanum). Combined with strict limitations on resting, the scarcity of healing potions, and the fact that - to my knowledge - pre-NWN D&D games did not feature “healing kits”, resource (in particular, spell) management became the key to success.

1092686350-00.png

Another difficulty stemmed more from the limitations of the system than the intention of the designers. With enemies abundant, area effect spells were a neat trick to get out of trouble. But they also were tricky – since the game didn’t show you the threat area of the spell you wanted to cast, your battles often took a turn for the worse after your mage had grilled your front-line fighters. Fortunately, it didn’t take much trial error to find out that you only needed two spells to complete the gold box games: fireball and delayed blast fireball (which was implemented as a beefed-up standard fireball that exploded without there being any delay whatsoever). This solved the problem of trial and error, but again didn’t exactly contribute to an overload of combat options available to your party.

1057445979-00.gif

Now, the gold box series aside, I do not think any other games of the time actually offered a combat system which would in any way compare to the complexity of modern CRPGs.
I was never much of an Ultima buff, but given that their game design put less of an emphasis on the hack’n’slash aspects, I doubt that they even came close to the gold box games in terms of combat complexity. Also, none of the Bard’s Tale, Might & Magic or Wizardry games offered much in terms of tactical depth – they didn’t even have combat screen where you could position your party! What they did have, though, were endless waves of enemies…

1076281169-00.gif

Nowadays, even a game like Oblivion, with its botched combat system, gives you a couple of power attacks that you can use to knock down or disarm your enemies. This pales, of course, before WoW, which allows you to chose from a pretty impressive array of combat skills which even seem to make a difference (as some monsters have meaningful resistances to, say, physical damage, while others shrug off your arcane attacks). And I deliberately leave out tactics-heavy games like ToEE, because quite frankly I can’t remember anything except that it was pretty darn complex.

So where do modern games get it wrong? I think the main problem is, quite simply, that combat is way too easy. Even if you crank difficulty levels up to the highest setting, it will hardly take you more than two or three reloads to finish the “epic boss battle” and complete the game. Against this backdrop, all the options included in modern game designs create some sort of faux-complexity, while what they really do is simply provide the kids with another 20 different ways of “killin for lewt”. But for someone who loves a challenge, what’s the point in choosing between NWN2’s zillions of feats if my party can carve its way through the enemy hordes with hardly an intervention on my part? Why should I bother to spend points on any of the fighting styles in Jade Empire when there’s really no need to do so? It’s all choice without consequence, except for the flashy effects showing on your screen.

Another factor is that it is way too easy to recover from climatic battles. Back in the old days, you beat the bad boss, all fine and hooray, but you couldn’t rest until you had made it out of the dungeon. Since your spells were depleted at that point and as you had used your two remaining healing potions to get your fighters out of the battle alive, a random encounter of otherwise moderate difficulty could be quite a challenge. Today, on the other hand, games either feature regeneration rates that are downright silly, or allow you to set up camp in the middle of the boss’ lair with no adverse consequence. And that’s all good, since you don’t want to miss out on any one of the fourty-plus options you have to smite your weakish enemies in the next encounter.

So I guess the point to this rant, if there is any, is that designers should throw more enemies at us again, or at least make it more difficult to recover from fights. This, much rather than including more and more fighting styles or yet another useless spell, will serve to make combat a much more involving affair than it is now. A couple of less dated games, in particular the Icewind Dales, did a pretty good job at that, even though resting was far too easy. ToEE also featured a couple of battles where your party could get properly roughed up. But how likely is it that designers will risk alienating the masses, just because old farts like me like to reload their saved games a couple of times more? The market for that sort of fetishism seems to be quite limited these days. Well, maybe I’ll just use my imagination to make games more difficult – it’s all about role-playing anyway…

P.S.: While the “spirit eater” concept in MoTB sure approaches White Wolf-levels of gayness, I’m actually looking forward to that game – if resting really has some gameplay implications, the choices you make in developing your character might just be so much more meaningful…

Sarvis

Erudite
Neverwhere said:
I have been wondering whether this forum really needs any of my nit-picking, when everything I want to say has already been expressed by others who are far better at this sort of thing than I ever hope to be.

This is about what has been referred to as the “dumbing down” of combat. I will not contest the fact that combat has been getting easier and easier ever since I started playing CRPGs in the 80s. The reasons are blatantly obvious: games such as the gold box series were designed for nerds such as myself, who would go on to brag in school after beating Tyranthraxus the other day. In return, I would get acknowledging nods from the other nerds, who had spent their whole day trying to get their hands on that necklace of missiles in Valjevo Castle’s Temple of Bane – in vain.

I have to leave so haven't read the rest of the post, but I wanted to say I never found the fights in the Gold Box games all that challenging. Except for the last fight in Pools of Darkness, which I never actually beat...

Neverwhere

Novice
Sarvis said:
I have to leave so haven't read the rest of the post, but I wanted to say I never found the fights in the Gold Box games all that challenging. Except for the last fight in Pools of Darkness, which I never actually beat...

Same here... even though I pushed all my party up to level 40 to beat it (wasn't it three fights in immediate succession, or something?). In any case, there's hardly a point in advocating unbeatable fights. And I do recall having to reload a lot more often than I do in modern games.

Nedrah

Erudite
Just chiming in to let you know that the images are actually not working for me, I only get a "Mobygames" kind of text add.

I agree about most of your points, but I would like to mention that a lot of people, me included, seem to see the genre's peak rather from the late 90s to some short time after '00.

WalterKinde

Scholar
Of course everything is "dumbed" down these days.
The dozens of articles on the "revolution" of gaming points to this.
It went from a breaking even , maybe making some great profit industry to a multi-million dollar one.
Not to mention as electronics (gaming consoles/the personal computer) have become available to a wider audience the general public is who is being catered to instead of the niche market that kept gaming alive on the PC and to a lesser extent the gaming console.
So if you want to recoup the amount you spent on hype/PR etc and make a HUGE profit, you can't cater to your niche market but to the general public who has to be able to just pick the game up and go.
They are mainly targeting impulse buyers and those who purchase stuff based on the hype and marketing ads, these buyers will also most likely probably never finish the game or do it they way it was meant to (aka without the cheat code or exploits) however once they buy the game what do the publishers care if they finish or not.
The sale of a lot of units is all that matters.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Neverwhere said:
Truth is, options in the gold box games were few. Your fighter could attack, or move and attack, or guard;

Yes, but in the Gold Box games you could not use pure missile weapons in melee (only throwing daggers/axes). This was an important tactical element, as using missile weapons to disrupt spell casters had a huge impact on the outcome of the battle. It also meant your fighters could "block" enemies (most of which would hit more often with missile weapons), forcing them to do melee instead.

Also, the GB games had a "zone of control" feature, which meant that any unit disengaging from melee would have it's adjacent enemies getting "opportunity attacks".

This also meant that it was actually possible to hold a front of fighters to protect the spell casters.

NONE of this was possible in the IE games, making the GB games tactically far superior.
Especially IW2, which was the best effort of all the IE games to provide intersting tactical battles, failed miserably, since the monster AI seems to re-calculate targets each round. So while my fighter is busy battling en ogre, the ogre may suddenly decide to attack the mage on the other side of the battle field. The ogre will slip through a tiny crack in my front line, either since there is no fucking grid to help me, or because of the fucking real time system my figher moves out of his position.

In fact my frustration with the IW2 made my play the Dragonlance series again, and I have to say the games are still a blast to play.

and your thief was useless (as is usual in any D&D-based game).

No, no NO!!! The Thief, if used correctly, is the ultimate weapon against human sized enemies thanks to his backstab attack. Spells are limited and don't always work, but if you play your characters right a thief (preferably a figher/thief) can get a backstab every round. And if not a F/T can always use a bow almost as effetively as a pure figher or ranger.
There is nothing like thieves to take out Drows and other magic resistant enemies.

Another difficulty stemmed more from the limitations of the system than the intention of the designers. With enemies abundant, area effect spells were a neat trick to get out of trouble. But they also were tricky – since the game didn’t show you the threat area of the spell you wanted to cast,

Yes, but you only needed to test a spell one or two times to learn it's excact area of effect, unlike the IE games where every casting of Fireball is a gamble (maybe more "realistic" bit not very satisfactory from a tactical POV).

Fortunately, it didn’t take much trial error to find out that you only needed two spells to complete the gold box games: fireball and delayed blast fireball (which was implemented as a beefed-up standard fireball that exploded without there being any delay whatsoever). This solved the problem of trial and error, but again didn’t exactly contribute to an overload of combat options available to your party.

Then you missed out on lots of spells. Other highly useful spells were Charm Person, Enlarge, Stinking Cloud, Lighting Bolt (unlike the IE games it actually works and doesn't automatically bounce back on the caster), Hold Person and Power Word - Stun.

Otingocni

Novice
Neverwhere said:

This is about what has been referred to as the “dumbing down” of combat. I will not contest the fact that combat has been getting easier and easier ever since I started playing CRPGs in the 80s. The reasons are blatantly obvious: games such as the gold box series were designed for nerds such as myself, who would go on to brag in school after beating Tyranthraxus the other day. In return, I would get acknowledging nods from the other nerds, who had spent their whole day trying to get their hands on that necklace of missiles in Valjevo Castle’s Temple of Bane – in vain. Nowadays, on the other hand, games are designed for… well, for people who spend equally much time in front of their computers (perhaps even more), but who simply do not care for something as old-fashioned as a good “challenge”. Games are designed for those with a short attention span – instant gratification guaranteed.

But has combat really been “dumbed down”? In the old days, did battles present you with a myriad of options, allowing you to twiddle and twitch the odds in your favour? Let’s have a look at what probably was the prime of 80s tactical combat:

109261833000br5.png

96965854900zv2.gif

Truth is, options in the gold box games were few. Your fighter could attack, or move and attack, or guard; your mage and priests could throw spells; and your thief was useless (as is usual in any D&D-based game). The difficulty of combat had little to do with tactical micro-management of combat options. The real problem was of a strategic nature: the gold box games threw monsters at you in unbelievable numbers, and the difficulty level of your average random encounter could well approach that of a boss fight (something that, apparently, even codexers considered annoying when it was repeated much later on in Arcanum). Combined with strict limitations on resting, the scarcity of healing potions, and the fact that - to my knowledge - pre-NWN D&D games did not feature “healing kits”, resource (in particular, spell) management became the key to success.

109268635000vo7.png

Another difficulty stemmed more from the limitations of the system than the intention of the designers. With enemies abundant, area effect spells were a neat trick to get out of trouble. But they also were tricky – since the game didn’t show you the threat area of the spell you wanted to cast, your battles often took a turn for the worse after your mage had grilled your front-line fighters. Fortunately, it didn’t take much trial error to find out that you only needed two spells to complete the gold box games: fireball and delayed blast fireball (which was implemented as a beefed-up standard fireball that exploded without there being any delay whatsoever). This solved the problem of trial and error, but again didn’t exactly contribute to an overload of combat options available to your party.

105744597900in7.gif

Now, the gold box series aside, I do not think any other games of the time actually offered a combat system which would in any way compare to the complexity of modern CRPGs.
I was never much of an Ultima buff, but given that their game design put less of an emphasis on the hack’n’slash aspects, I doubt that they even came close to the gold box games in terms of combat complexity. Also, none of the Bard’s Tale, Might & Magic or Wizardry games offered much in terms of tactical depth – they didn’t even have combat screen where you could position your party! What they did have, though, were endless waves of enemies…

107628116900xc8.gif

Nowadays, even a game like Oblivion, with its botched combat system, gives you a couple of power attacks that you can use to knock down or disarm your enemies. This pales, of course, before WoW, which allows you to chose from a pretty impressive array of combat skills which even seem to make a difference (as some monsters have meaningful resistances to, say, physical damage, while others shrug off your arcane attacks). And I deliberately leave out tactics-heavy games like ToEE, because quite frankly I can’t remember anything except that it was pretty darn complex.

So where do modern games get it wrong? I think the main problem is, quite simply, that combat is way too easy. Even if you crank difficulty levels up to the highest setting, it will hardly take you more than two or three reloads to finish the “epic boss battle” and complete the game. Against this backdrop, all the options included in modern game designs create some sort of faux-complexity, while what they really do is simply provide the kids with another 20 different ways of “killin for lewt”. But for someone who loves a challenge, what’s the point in choosing between NWN2’s zillions of feats if my party can carve its way through the enemy hordes with hardly an intervention on my part? Why should I bother to spend points on any of the fighting styles in Jade Empire when there’s really no need to do so? It’s all choice without consequence, except for the flashy effects showing on your screen.

Another factor is that it is way too easy to recover from climatic battles. Back in the old days, you beat the bad boss, all fine and hooray, but you couldn’t rest until you had made it out of the dungeon. Since your spells were depleted at that point and as you had used your two remaining healing potions to get your fighters out of the battle alive, a random encounter of otherwise moderate difficulty could be quite a challenge. Today, on the other hand, games either feature regeneration rates that are downright silly, or allow you to set up camp in the middle of the boss’ lair with no adverse consequence. And that’s all good, since you don’t want to miss out on any one of the fourty-plus options you have to smite your weakish enemies in the next encounter.

So I guess the point to this rant, if there is any, is that designers should throw more enemies at us again, or at least make it more difficult to recover from fights. This, much rather than including more and more fighting styles or yet another useless spell, will serve to make combat a much more involving affair than it is now. A couple of less dated games, in particular the Icewind Dales, did a pretty good job at that, even though resting was far too easy. ToEE also featured a couple of battles where your party could get properly roughed up. But how likely is it that designers will risk alienating the masses, just because old farts like me like to reload their saved games a couple of times more? The market for that sort of fetishism seems to be quite limited these days. Well, maybe I’ll just use my imagination to make games more difficult – it’s all about role-playing anyway…

P.S.: While the “spirit eater” concept in MoTB sure approaches White Wolf-levels of gayness, I’m actually looking forward to that game – if resting really has some gameplay implications, the choices you make in developing your character might just be so much more meaningful…

Crichton

Prophet
Lighting Bolt (unlike the IE games it actually works and doesn't automatically bounce back on the caster)

Lightning bolt bounced off of walls in all the GB games that I can remember. It didn't bounce for as long as the IE games, so you were less likely to get fried, but if you cast it directly towards a wall, your target would get fried twice, but you'd get it at least once unless the distance was enormous. Much better to cast at an angle and settle for frying two targets once instead of one twice.

Sarvis

Erudite
octavius said:
Also, the GB games had a "zone of control" feature, which meant that any unit disengaging from melee would have it's adjacent enemies getting "opportunity attacks".

Yes, it was great to see that make a comeback in ToEE. Hell, my ranger had the most kills of any party member just because of AoO's and the feat that let you make as many as your agility bonus.

Yes, but you only needed to test a spell one or two times to learn it's excact area of effect, unlike the IE games where every casting of Fireball is a gamble (maybe more "realistic" bit not very satisfactory from a tactical POV).

Not to mention that I think they added a targeting area circle in the later games...

Then you missed out on lots of spells. Other highly useful spells were Charm Person, Enlarge, Stinking Cloud, Lighting Bolt (unlike the IE games it actually works and doesn't automatically bounce back on the caster), Hold Person and Power Word - Stun.

Ah the fun you can have with lightning bolt. <i>If I stand just... here, and fire that direction I can hit two rows of enemies.</i> Or </i>Hrm... yes, this hallway is just long enough for the bolt to bounce and hit everyone twice, stopping just before it hits me.</i>

And hold person is essential in those first PoR fights against casters so you can disable them at range.

You forgot Bladebarrier though! Much more fun than stinking cloud. ;)

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Crichton said:
Lighting Bolt (unlike the IE games it actually works and doesn't automatically bounce back on the caster)

Lightning bolt bounced off of walls in all the GB games that I can remember. It didn't bounce for as long as the IE games, so you were less likely to get fried, but if you cast it directly towards a wall, your target would get fried twice, but you'd get it at least once unless the distance was enormous. Much better to cast at an angle and settle for frying two targets once instead of one twice.

I know, but in the IE games Lightninh Bolt seemed to be hard coded to bounce back on the caster regardless of which direction you cast it.

Neverwhere

Novice
Otingocni, thanks for fixing things for me. Guess I was right to go to bed and leave these things to the people who are less technologically impaired than I am.

octavius said:

Yes, this was one of the most important tactical features of the gold box series. It is also a feature that has been included both in NWN and in NWN2, without adding much tactical depth to either of the games. Again, I think that this is not so much due to the lack of options, but simply because combat is way too easy.

What these new games do not have, though, is an option similar to "guard", which gave you a free attack once the enemy entered your threat range. This is actually quite crucial in protecting your mages.

octavius said:
No, no NO!!! The Thief, if used correctly, is the ultimate weapon against human sized enemies thanks to his backstab attack.

If you were speaking NWN, I would hear you. According to the 3rd ed. rules, a thief gets a backstab attack each round as long as he is positioned in the enemy's back. However, I am quite sure that things worked differently in AD&D. If I'm not mistaken, only the thief's initial attack was a backstab, and he had to engage in normal melee combat thereafter. Due to the swarms of enemies the gold box games threw at you, your thief would immediately be surrounded by all the monsters who had been patiently waiting behind the front rows, which greatly reduced his lifespan. But then again, I haven't played these games in quite a while, so I might be wrong.

octavius said:

You're right there, hold person in particular was quite useful against humanoids. Not to mention your cleric's healing spells, which (for other reasons I have tried to allude to) probably were the most important spells in the game. Still, the number of spells you really needed was no more than a handful or two.

Neverwhere

Novice
Nedrah said:
I agree about most of your points, but I would like to mention that a lot of people, me included, seem to see the genre's peak rather from the late 90s to some short time after '00.

I won't disagree. Storywise, no 80s game compares to the great games produced between 1997 (Fallout) and 2004 (VtM:B). And a good story is the key to a good rpg. Still, my points related solely to combat - there's plenty of "holistic" RPG threads out there and I didn't intend this to be one.

Now, when you look at it in terms of combat, most of these games don't even come close to the gold box series. Arcanum's combat is broken beyond repair. VtM:B's is dull no matter which type of character you play, the only good thing about it is that you can get it over with pretty quickly. The same goes for P:ST's combat, but noone is playing that game for the fights anyway. The BGs (in particular Tales of the Sword Coast) had some mildly interesting fights, but the only times you really got into trouble were when the engine's strange pathfinding bugs suddenly made your mages head for the front lines. Admittedly, Fallout's combat system was neat, but I prefer party-based games (this is more a question of taste than of the quality of the combat system, though).

This leaves me with the Icewand Dale games, which suffered from the same bugs as the other IE games, but at least threw enough enemies at you to make battle more engaging. Object placement was also rather nice in these games.... still remeber IWD2's magical formula (orc archer + barrel filled with explosives = reload)? And then, of course, there's ToEE, which is near perfect in terms of combat - and pretty much lacking in all other departments.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Sarvis said:

I must admit I spend all my lvl 6 Cleric spells on Heal. With no chance on stocking up on Healing Potions, the Cleric's healing abilities is more important in the GB games than in the IE games. The way I play I usually only rest after clearing an area or being told that "this place looks safe to rest". So when the mages run out of fireballs and the fighers run out of HPs, one Heal spell can save the day.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Neverwhere said:
octavius said:
No, no NO!!! The Thief, if used correctly, is the ultimate weapon against human sized enemies thanks to his backstab attack.

If you were speaking NWN, I would hear you. According to the 3rd ed. rules, a thief gets a backstab attack each round as long as he is positioned in the enemy's back. However, I am quite sure that things worked differently in AD&D. If I'm not mistaken, only the thief's initial attack was a backstab, and he had to engage in normal melee combat thereafter. Due to the swarms of enemies the gold box games threw at you, your thief would immediately be surrounded by all the monsters who had been patiently waiting behind the front rows, which greatly reduced his lifespan. But then again, I haven't played these games in quite a while, so I might be wrong.

Haven't played NWN, so don't know how it works there.
In the Gold Box games, a Thief's attack would be a backstab if he hit from the opposite direction of the first character to attack the enemy, and the enemey has not moved in the meantime. The thief could do this each round, with no need to Hide in Shadows, so it was a very powerful attack.

In the IE games, you had to Hide in Shadows first or become invisible, so it's use was more limited, but still very useful.

As for the thief being swarmed, that's up to the platyer's tactics. If you're fighting a horde of kobolds, the Thief is better of using missile weapons. The backstab is best used against dangerous enemies with lots of HPs, and spell casters that you need to completely eliminate ASAP.
With a good Shield, Bracers and Ring/Cloak of Protection a 18/19 DEX Figher/Thief can usually get an AC that is only slighly worse than a Figher's.

Sarvis

Erudite
octavius said:
Sarvis said:

I must admit I spend all my lvl 6 Cleric spells on Heal. With no chance on stocking up on Healing Potions, the Cleric's healing abilities is more important in the GB games than in the IE games. The way I play I usually only rest after clearing an area or being told that "this place looks safe to rest". So when the mages run out of fireballs and the fighers run out of HPs, one Heal spell can save the day.

My party had two clerics, so I had plenty of heals to spread around...

While the Gold Box games had good, tactical combat, I always felt that the combat in Wizard's Crown was superior in just about every way. It came out a couple years earlier than the first Gold Box game. It seemed pretty clear that the Gold Box combat engine was based on the Wizard's Crown one, but a number of options were removed.

In Wizard's Crown, your characters could guard, but they could also fall prone, engage enemies in melee (restricting their movement), aim with missile weapons, dodge, perform different attack types (kill or defensive). Shields only blocked the left flank and front of a character, so your frontline would need to set themselves up to protect unshielded sides. Weapon types had different characteristics to make them feel more unique. Each had a different attack type resulting in different damage, spears had a reach attack, axes destroyed shields, flails ignored shields.

I also felt there was a better health and damage system in the game. Plus, magic was generally pretty low powered, and if you wanted to do well, you really needed to conserve your spells, especially the priest ones. Completely recovering spells was only allowed in one place, although partial recovery of priest spells was possible in the single, ruined temple. However, you needed to travel a considerable distance from both to get anywhere in the game.

So, in a lot of ways, the combat in the Gold Box games was even dumbed down.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom