Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon's Dogma II - "They’re masterworks, all – you can’t go wrong"

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Omg I just killed my entire party by destroying a bridge. There is an argument to be made for the archer's accuracy.

Stoned Ape

Savant
Drakes finally stopped running away after I reached a certain point in the main story.

Sunken Castle emerged from beneath the waves

Before that I even had one take off and pussy out when it had 2 shredded wings and less than one health bar left. It got up from a stun and immediately went into full flight so I couldn't kill it.

Now I've killed 5 of the bastards (the 1st one that died flew out over the river between elf-land and Vermont before it launched repeated spells at me then landed in the middle of the river and brined itself for some reason, the second one I killed as a Thief, the 3rd as a Spearhand, 4th and 5th as Warrior).

It can only be progression in the main story that stops them from fleeing, I've done absolutely nothing differently from the dozen or so times beforehand that they've just run away from me when it was obvious they were getting their ass handed to them.

Getting Medusa's head was another weird one.

Tried about a dozen times without luck (kept reloading from before the fight after it lost a full health bar), then it just suddenly popped off after about 30 seconds on my final try. The decapitation event must be something to do with RNG rather than a damage threshold because I was doing exactly the same thing (climbed up its back to the neck then sliced away with the lightning daggers and minimum damage rung from the Sphynx) with the same animations playing each time. Weird.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Drakes finally stopped running away after I reached a certain point in the main story.

Sunken Castle emerged from beneath the waves

No, they'll still run away after that if you let them. I think there are a few factors about why and when they run, but not 100% sure. Either way, I killed some before that point and have had them fly away after that point, including with the injuries you've mentioned. Sometimes I think it has to do with time of day changing, you can most notably see that happen with undead enemies and it's the same as DD1 that way.

Carceri

Arcane
Alright, so I have finished the endgame quests, and I'm at the stage where there's not much left to do but go to NG+. Right now, I don't see any reason to do so; it feels redundant. I have uncovered and explored the entire map, at least, as far as I can tell. Maybe I missed a hole or two, but that doesn't matter. I had fun, and I genuinely enjoyed the exploration, it's a decent game on its own, but I feel that it is disappointing as a sequel in this current state. Movement, animations, climbing mechanics, weapon skills, vocations, item system, pawn AI, interface functionality, KB and mouse control scheme, and camera are somehow worse than in the original game. It even lacks some quality of life features that used to be there. The game is clearly rushed and unfinished, but hey, this is Itsuno's vision, the game he always wanted to make, right?
I liked the 'limited' travel, camping, the emergent gameplay scenarios... well, pretty much everything related to adventuring. I think they really nailed this aspect, and it left me wishing for an even bigger world. A shame the game doesn't have a megadungeon or something to grind in the endgame. I know they talked about some sort of tower with many floors that they had planned for the first game iirc. I guess I'm just surprised the sequel doesn't have anything to contribute to its longevity in vanilla form. Who knows, maybe Capcom will get its shit together for the expansion. Wishful thinking, I know.

I have some questions about the endgame, I'll use the spoiler:

I have evacuated all the settlements and got the achievement for finishing all the trials in the unmoored world. I have also explored quite a lot. I have dragon forged several endgame weapons and many armor sets. I think I only rested for 3-4 days. There is only the last red beam left to interact with. Is there anything left to do? Also, does NG+ change anything that would warrant another playthrough?

mediocrepoet

Patron
Minor location spoilers in this review, but nothing crazy. I disagree with his issue on the time system, but otherwise his criticisms are on point and I generally agree though I like DD2 more than him and he's not played DD1.

somerandomdude

Learned
Classes feel overall worse in DD2 vs DD1, with the exception of Warrior. Warrior plays sort of like a greatsword user in Monster Hunter World with the shoulder tackle, and some of the charge attacks, it felt good to play, and was intuitive for me.

Level 32 atm, I fought my way down to Bhattal & Volcanic island before progressing the story to those areas. I did that because I was bored, the game wasn't challenging, and I wanted to get into tougher areas ASAP. Now I'm too bored with the game to even bother finishing the main story.

I wish there was a way to disable exp gains, because enemies give way too much exp, I'd prefer to just cap my levels so I can actually explore and fight stuff without boosting my levels too much.

I hear the level cap is 999? That's completely fucking retarded, there's nothing in the game that could possibly justify that. I felt that even 200 was overkill for the 1st game. Max level should have been maybe 50 in this.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Why don't elves teach mystic archer??

Archer feels weak without a melee weapon. Why do half the skills require consumables? Even the thief can drop bombs for free.
It's not weak if you're using manual aim to hit weakpoints. It lacks a "nuke" that can one-shot monsters like some other classes but it can still drop shit pretty fast. When I was an archer I used that thief augment that makes it less likely for enemies to target you. Just hang back and snipe shit.

Stoned Ape

Savant
For me Warfarer is probably the most fun class in the game because I can choose Warrior but wear the Landsknecht gear (that Warriors can't usually wear) and then pick the 2 skills that I like from Warrior for hurting big enemies (Heavenward Sunder and Diluvian Strike) while also letting me choose Magick Archer to slaughter wolves and harpies (both of which really piss me off when I'm playing Warrior). The last skill I pick is either a third Warrior skill (usually Inspirit to self-cleanse of debuffs) or a single Magick Archer skill (usually either the fire cruise missile or the iceburg launcher because they're the ones I think are funniest to use).

I think there are a bunch of classes that are definitely stronger (Mystic Spearhand, Thief, Magick Archer, Sorcerer at least) but nothing more enjoyable to play.

Terenty

Liturgist
I wish there was a way to disable exp gains, because enemies give way too much exp, I'd prefer to just cap my levels so I can actually explore and fight stuff without boosting my levels too much.
Are you on PC? I've been playing with a custom difficulty mod from the start and its been great difficulty wise.

Mobs deal 2x damage, me and my pawns deal 0.8x. Stagger for enemies smth around 0.3x and half Exp and DCP gain.

The difficulty curve has felt pretty balanced and I'm almost at the end I think. It really feels like it's supposed to be played like that, dunno why they fucked the balance so bad

mediocrepoet

Patron
For me Warfarer is probably the most fun class in the game because I can choose Warrior but wear the Landsknecht gear (that Warriors can't usually wear) and then pick the 2 skills that I like from Warrior for hurting big enemies (Heavenward Sunder and Diluvian Strike) while also letting me choose Magick Archer to slaughter wolves and harpies (both of which really piss me off when I'm playing Warrior). The last skill I pick is either a third Warrior skill (usually Inspirit to self-cleanse of debuffs) or a single Magick Archer skill (usually either the fire cruise missile or the iceburg launcher because they're the ones I think are funniest to use).

I think there are a bunch of classes that are definitely stronger (Mystic Spearhand, Thief, Magick Archer, Sorcerer at least) but nothing more enjoyable to play.

100%, and since you take whatever class's unique ability for the weapon set you choose + their core skills, you have a wider variety of options from that alone. I've been running thief stuff and sometimes swapping the third ability out for something else depending on my mood or what I'm doing, but can still equip things like a two hander for high knockdown hits or a staff/archstaff to levitate, etc.

One thing I might play around with is using some of the trickster stuff alongside another class's abilities, because I suspect it will make things a lot more interesting and viable. Might still be a lot of busywork for nothing, but who knows.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat

100%, and since you take whatever class's unique ability for the weapon set you choose + their core skills, you have a wider variety of options from that alone. I've been running thief stuff and sometimes swapping the third ability out for something else depending on my mood or what I'm doing, but can still equip things like a two hander for high knockdown hits or a staff/archstaff to levitate, etc.

One thing I might play around with is using some of the trickster stuff alongside another class's abilities, because I suspect it will make things a lot more interesting and viable. Might still be a lot of busywork for nothing, but who knows.
I read somewhere in this thread that vocations level up at 10% the speed when using warfarer. Is this true? If so I'm gonna need to level up a melee class individually. Trying to decide if I want thief or warrior skills.

mediocrepoet

Patron

I read somewhere in this thread that vocations level up at 10% the speed when using warfarer. Is this true? If so I'm gonna need to level up a melee class individually. Trying to decide if I want thief or warrior skills.

I believe so, but I'm not 100% certain because by the time I found it, I'd maxed everything except Magick Archer, so I just did them each individually. I'm very close to finishing the game and have completed all side quests and most random other crap (have something like 210/220 seeker tokens). When I play it again, I'll likely start a completely blank save file, possibly on another account and bee-line the vocations and use warfarer far earlier and spend more time as other vocations.

mediocrepoet

Patron
Omg I just killed my entire party by destroying a bridge. There is an argument to be made for the archer's accuracy.
More like an argument against.

Seriously, you should do it like a man and accidentally(?) cleave through both bridge moorings along with a few goblins and wipe out your useless pawns. Greatswords... the most unstoppable force there is. :lol:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Seriously, you should do it like a man and accidentally(?) cleave through both bridge moorings along with a few goblins and wipe out your useless pawns. Greatswords... the most unstoppable force there is. :lol:
Oh please, I shouldercheck them ogres and cyclopes so hard they fall.

Cheesedragon117

Educated
I just tried Warrior after thinking i was going to go Fighter the whole playthrough. Surprisingly versatile, and not at all what I expected. You have a wider range of different attack speeds than MH Greatsword, so you don't have to stand there and take it if you don't want to. That being said, you are almost invincible if you have a Mage dropping Anodyne on you every few seconds. Not only do you take no damage while attacking, just having the sword in your hands gives you a lot of super armor.

A far more relaxed take on MH's style of slow, methodical weapons. And the skills! God, they did everything they could to make you feel like Guts from Berserk.

By the way, if you are having trouble timing Chain of Blows, try pressing the X/Square button right before short pause when landing a strike ends. The game tricks you into thinking you've got the timing down when swinging at the air. But when you actually hit something, the hit-stop from landing the strike completely changes the timing.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Big monsters are starting to spawn in more locations at a more frequent rate for me. They're also appearing in cities more often. Just had an Ogre spawn right outside of Vernworth and as I entered Vernworth a Drake and Goblins spawned. Is this because I'm nearing endgame or is it an adaptive difficulty thing?

I was using magick archer and one of the homing arrows destroyed the bridge. If I was a regular archer that never would have happened was my point.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom