Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon's Dogma II - "They’re masterworks, all – you can’t go wrong"

Sentinel

Arcane
Then how tf did the one guy have it running at 100fps? Somebody posted the video a couple days ago. Everybody says a stable 60 is impossible and a guy showed clear proof of it running at 100+
It's 100FPS outside the city while fighting a few goblins or running around, running at well below 1440p internal resolution on an RTX 4080. In Vernworth, the game is terribly optimized and CPU bound so no current CPU can prevent drops in FPS.
It said 4K resolution.
Internal/Render Resolution =/= Output resolution.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I'm seeing a mixture of [Citation Needed]
The citation is watch gameplay footage
What does expanded grappling mechanic mean?
You can now push and pull enemies, plus there's moves that ingrate grapples (like seen here)
Cool.
Or what do you mean by more enemy behavior and what ways does that improve the gameplay for me?
:hmmm:

I think it's self-explanatory...
No, it's not. Expanded enemy behavior is marketing jargon. It's vague enough that it can set peoples' imaginations and get them more hyped for the game, but I'm experienced enough to not fall for such tricks. I want specifics on why this feature is going to make the game better for me. If the game is truly easier than DD1 (which was already an easy game) then this is a pointless feature.
Foes with low health can be dealt a killing blow when they are at low health is just a trendy mechanic in modern gaming.
When an enemy's HP reaches a certain threshold, you now get the chance to dispatch them at once but by performing an attacks that leaves you quite exposed
It's an addicitional risk/reward consideration for the combat, therefore a good addition
And such mechanics have existed since PS1 era at least
Again, cool. I'll have to see it in practice and how it affects ranged vocations, if at all. We already had the Sorcerer and Warrior with their long cast/charge times that left you exposed while you channeled your attack so the idea is nothing new to the game, but if it's something they've manage to expand on other vocations in a way that makes their gameplay more rich then that's cool. On the other hand it also runs the risk of homogenizing the vocations.
Will there also be an awesome animation of me killing the enemy each time I trigger it? I hate those.
Sounds like a you problem
Well, yeah? I generally do play games for myself and not for anyone else.
More skills sounds good but as I already heard the magic dagger skills were removed from the MA and all I've seen in the gameplay vids are the same spells I was able to use in DD1 so everything I've seen is contrary to the claim that there are more skills in the game. I need something more concrete than "trust me bro it's gonna be awesome".
From all I've seen the Figther and Warrior vocations have an expanded range of combat moves, so I'm good :smug:
Good for you.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
I'm maining a warrior. Wont nothin change my mind. Gonna try to copy the archer I made but have her be a pawn. I want the same ass and thighs. As I'm playing warrior I'll LARP as a proctologist and make sure everything is functioning properly in my pawn's turd cutter. Capcom left me no choice. One save slot, stupid cock suckers.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
People are fucking wild when it comes to CC

VM9wKA8.png

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
If the game is truly easier than DD1 (which was already an easy game) then this is a pointless feature.
No, good design isn't a pointless feature
Good enemy design is far harder to get it right and far more valuable to have - specially more so than the "difficulty" you're talking about, which boils down to mathematical values
For that all they need to do is put a damage multiplier and call it a day - which players can do in REengine games with the REFramework

We already had the Sorcerer and Warrior with their long cast/charge times that left you exposed while you channeled
The degree which those moves do that is far higher, it is not a good comparasion
The executions fill the space in between the extremes

Good for you.
Thanks! :hug:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Hahaha, the game looks and plays like a PS3 game yet still runs like shit.

How's that ass feeling, Crapcom fanboys? Raped up the ass by your favorite publisher yet again. It's sad to see but clearly you must be enjoying it because no matter how many times Crapcom fucks up you keep coming back for more.

Game literally looked like a copy and paste of the PS3 game yet you all defended it from square one. You'd better not start complaining now.
Dragon Dogma 1 looks and runs as shit. Compare the environment to Morrowind or Skyrim. And you clearly see that for some unknown reason this game needs A LOT of resources to simulate NPC and they are doing it worse than Oblivion. In fact, do your remember these low speed PC in early 90s? I was able to do stuff they are doing now, but CPUs were like 120 MHz vs 4x 3.7 GHz nowadays. That's like 1/100 of CPU power they have. (And lets not get into fact modern PC are more than 3x more efficient per cycle.)

Frankly. Some PS3 games looked and ran great. Atelier Rorona and Totori had great graphic fidelity, and allowed watching a cute girls to throw bombs at random wolves or knights without problem. Demon's Souls was nice too. Dragon's Crown looks like crap but it was nice game that should be ported to PC as freeware.

When I think about that PS3 didn't have that many decent games that stayed PS3 exclusive. In fact a lot of games were ports from PC, or forced developers to mutilate theirs games they were originally developed for proper open architecture of PC.
DD2 currently sits at 90 (PC), 87 (PS5), and 86 (S|X). How is that possible despite all these tech issues?
That's because of DRM. Look when people are FORCED to pay, what would they do? They pay money for crap.
And considering it's before release, they definitely will not drop price, because it would FUCK theirs income by scaring people who instead of jumping at new game and paying full price to play it now, they would wait until they would hear rumors about game being playable on normal PC. And then they would perhaps wait for Steam sale.

Like commercial company would kill theirs own profits if they move price down before the game would be fully released, and before they would get at least few performance patches out.

Frankly face the fact. Digital computer games are snake oil. They create imaginary value, and people are paying for that.

If you watched the video with leaker, he talked about performance improvements in comparison with how the game ran when he started playing. So they did something even before release otherwise the game would run like a total crap on a PS 5.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
DD2 currently sits at 90 (PC), 87 (PS5), and 86 (S|X). How is that possible despite all these tech issues?

Also, came across this

Quantity of reviews. PS is always the main platform for multiplat releases on metacritic, so it recieves the most reviews and criticism. Also these critics probably have a better PC than you, which is why they're giving it a pass.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
The Steam Deck has proven to be a failure in all aspects. It is the biggest piece of shit since the N Gage or whatever it was called. Biggest waste of money I've made in a long time. Not at all surprised by DD2's performance on it. The piece of shit struggles to run Palworld. Complete and utter failure of a device.

The Switch is better.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

One of the more informative and balanced reviews I've seen so far.

Dude complains about fast travel, having to walk everywhere and resting and saving being annoying.

Fucking miserable normies. But that comment about difficulty is worrying, when even dumbfucks like that are complaining about something being too easy you know it's a problem.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom