Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon's Dogma II - "They’re masterworks, all – you can’t go wrong"

Hobo Elf

Arcane
  • more skills
  • more complex base movesets by integrating old skills into vocation levelling
  • expanded grappling mechanics
  • expanded enemy behaviours even on old enemies
  • it is now possible to stand enemies and use skills as if on solid ground
  • foes with low health can be vanquished with a finishing blow
  • a 'downed' state has been added, much like a prolonged out of stamina knockdown
  • pawn revival from the unconscious state now takes longer and instead restores them to the same health as the Arisen.
  • items no longer restore health to full, making expeditions riskier as they continue
I'm seeing a mixture of [Citation Needed] and features that sound more like they're done for marketing purposes rather than add anything of true value to the minute-to-minute gameplay. What does expanded grappling mechanic mean? Or what do you mean by more enemy behavior and what ways does that improve the gameplay for me? Foes with low health can be dealt a killing blow when they are at low health is just a trendy mechanic in modern gaming. So? Never felt like it was missing in DD1. Will there also be an awesome animation of me killing the enemy each time I trigger it? I hate those. More skills sounds good but as I already heard the magic dagger skills were removed from the MA and all I've seen in the gameplay vids are the same spells I was able to use in DD1 so everything I've seen is contrary to the claim that there are more skills in the game. I need something more concrete than "trust me bro it's gonna be awesome".

Terenty

Liturgist
For fucks sake, after the success of Elden Ring you would think devs would man up and start putting some goddam challenge in their games, but no let's make sure everyone and their grandma can beat it

What's even the point of half of the systems and combat if enemies die if you so much as fart in their direction?

One thing I hoped they would actually improve is difficulty, seems they made it even easier..

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
So we have positive: quest design.
And negative: Needs 12 core, Denuvo crap installed, and it's short.

Make it run fast on 4 core, remove Denuvo, and sell it for up to 40 USD and we have a commercial game.
I'm so sad.

53600543610_2eddb82240_o.png

:troll:
If this shit is not good then I will be very angry.

Oof don't kick the third worlders and poorfags while they're down. That does look like sex tho. The good kind.

soutaiseiriron

Educated
so a 1080p upscale on a TOTL CPU
should (probably) get about 30-50fps on something midrange like a 12th gen i5 and a 3060 at max. optimize the settings by cutting back on shit that's borderline invisible to see like GI and shadow quality and 60fps should be doable

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
For fucks sake, after the success of Elden Ring you would think devs would man up and start putting some goddam challenge in their games, but no let's make sure everyone and their grandma can beat it

What's even the point of half of the systems and combat if enemies die if you so much as fart in their direction?

One thing I hoped they would actually improve is difficulty, seems they made it even easier..
Elden Ring ain't hard bruv. The game can be cheesed too death which is why it was so successful. You think normies actually beat Malenia fairly? Most of them probably never even ran into her.

Falksi

Arcane
4players.de is speaking of lazy game design, an uninspiring world, combat gets repetitive fast, and getting jumped by enemies every two minutes is tiring. Grognards only.
Sounds full of shit tbh. I'm not buying that "combat gets repetitive fast", he's either not playing a class to suit his playstyle or playing on an easier difficulty setting, because the first game's combat was fun for fucking ages, and they've added to it not taken away from it.
Given that you fight the same enemies from DD1 over and over again, I can see the combat getting old fast. Also, people familiar with DD1 say that DD2 is even easier.
Honestly, after around 10 years for me, I'm really not that bothered about revisiting old enemies. They'll feel fairly fresh after that time.

And that's my point with the difficulty. Most of the reviewers won't be playing it on Harder settings to judge it in it's fullest context. They never do.

Last edited:

Dyet

Novice
So we have positive: quest design.
And negative: Needs 12 core, Denuvo crap installed, and it's short.

Make it run fast on 4 core, remove Denuvo, and sell it for up to 40 USD and we have a commercial game.
I'm so sad.

53600543610_2eddb82240_o.png

:troll:
If this shit is not good then I will be very angry.

4K (DLSS Balanced)
So not 4K but only 2227×1253? And it's just 100FPS outside the city with nothing going on. :prosper:

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Honestly, after around 10 years for me, I'm really not that bothered about revisiting old enemies. They'll feel fairly fresh after that time.

Abd that's my point with the difficulty. Most of the reviewers won't be playing it on Harder settings to judge it in it's fullest context. They never do.

Pretty sure this game uses "adaptive difficulty". So the game gets easier the worse you play.

Dyet

Novice
4players.de is speaking of lazy game design, an uninspiring world, combat gets repetitive fast, and getting jumped by enemies every two minutes is tiring. Grognards only.
Sounds full of shit tbh. I'm not buying that "combat gets repetitive fast", he's either not playing a class to suit his playstyle or playing on an easier difficulty setting, because the first game's combat was fun for fucking ages, and they've added to it not taken away from it.
Given that you fight the same enemies from DD1 over and over again, I can see the combat getting old fast. Also, people familiar with DD1 say that DD2 is even easier.
Abd that's my point with the difficulty. Most of the reviewers won't be playing it on Harder settings to judge it in it's fullest context. They never do.
Right now, I believe that there are no difficulty settings and hard difficulty in DD1 was kind of shit anyway. I have more hope that modders will fix this game than the devs.

Itsuno and his team should stick to DMC, honestly.

Sentinel

Arcane
There's no difficulty options. It uses adaptive difficulty.

Also there's no way to delete save files or start a new character apparently.

Artyoan

Arbiter
Looks like I'll be waiting for some performance patches but likely to buy at full price. Not happy with some decisions made but it looks overall like what I wanted it to be.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat

Stop saying this crap without backing it up with sources and facts. Multiple people have said this and provided no sources or facts. I'm just seeing a bunch of morons repeating something some other moron said.

Sentinel

Arcane

Stop saying this crap without backing it up with sources and facts. Multiple people have said this and provided no sources or facts. I'm just seeing a bunch of morons repeating something some other moron said.
That ratatoskr reviewer mentioned it, and the main menu that 2 leakers posted 1 week ago also had no "new game" option IIRC.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Made 4 characters, 2 of each

Drake
drake-main-arisen.png

Raoh
raoh-2nd-arisen.png

Sofia
sofia-main-pawn-dd2.png

Was undecided between gold or silver, but a friend told me silver makes her looks a bit sickly

Diana
diana-2nd-pawn.png

A shame that the editor only allows to migrate one of each
Also a shame you can still only have 1 main pawn, would've loved to form a party of just those 2 girls

Still have a few ideas...
A middle age wizard, a thief ressembling the Persian Prince (from the Sands of Time triology), a dwarf, a witch, a weird tribal warrior, a redheaded huntress and a Khajiit thief (although that's already 1 character over the limit...)

Are you ashamed of your degenerate arisens and pawns?

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Can the adaptive difficulty be disabled? I asked earlier and nobody gave an answer. That crap doesn't ever work as intended and I'd rather play without it.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
dynamic difficulty is the biggest decline I have heard for a long time
It's great when done right. God Hand proved it.
I wouldn't say it worked particularly well in God Hand either. It just made the game harder until you got hit in the face a few times after which the challenge would be instantly downgraded. Or if you were a wussy you'd use the Roulette skill to drop your level down.

Jinn

Arcane
Can the adaptive difficulty be disabled? I asked earlier and nobody gave an answer. That crap doesn't ever work as intended and I'd rather play without it.
There doesn't seem to be a way to disable it, from everything I've read.

It's the one aspect of DD2 that I'm wholly opposed to, but I'm confident it's not going to ruin my fun in my first playthrough. I'm sure we'll have some good mods down the line to deal with that for subsequent playthroughs. Time to get a PC, SDG.

Late Bloomer

Scholar

Can you expand on why it's great? It seems like something journalist and normies would love. That way they don't have to feel bad about lowering the difficulty.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron

Can you expand on why it's great? It seems like something journalist and normies would love. That way they don't have to feel bad about lowering the difficulty.
Higher difficulty = more enemies, enemies use new attacks, enemies are way more aggressive, and there is a higher chance of super bosses. If you didn't get hit for a while, or were completely styling on enemies, you would reach this mode quite fast. And if you got hit a couple of times, you were brought back to a lower difficulty while still fighting. It worked quite well for the earlier missions, but as Hobo Elf said, it could become quite tedious, since the later stages of the game were just throwing hard enemies at you nonstop. But that really was just a bad level design, imo.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Also, regarding the game being highly dependend on the end user having a good CPU. What exactly is running in the background again while playing the game? Denuvo, and Enigma? Hmh..!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom