Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon's Dogma II - "They’re masterworks, all – you can’t go wrong"

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron
Looks great, will probably be infested with "pronoun" and "body type" shit going by other Capcom properties. If that's the case I won't buy it, no mater how much I enjoyed DD1.

I agree that it will probably include pronouns and body type instead of simple sex selection.

However, the trailer revealed good looking males as well as females in revealing armor, so there's hope.
While I remain skeptical, the trailer really looks quite good; it has the dark nights, casting looks to be as meticulous and meaty as we're used to, armors look great, characters attractive etc.

Even the trailer shouldn't exist in current year. Maybe that's a sign that we're getting complex systems, world design and char creator as well.
If pronouns and body type are the only trade-offs, I couldn't care less.

Wait and see.

I wonder if the anime will be taken into consideration even if it's just a cameo.
The story and plot was larggely unrelated to DD's, but

it had a somewhat interesting story about the Arisen becoming less and less human and the pawn doing the opposite.

I do wonder if we'll get another official Berserk DLC for this game as well.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
I hope they up the difficulty this time around. Being too easy was one of the few weak points of DD
On the topic of difficulty, I hope they don't take so long to ease us into the big monsters. It could be harder sure, but taking so long fighting Cyclops and Goblins kinda hurts when recommending the game to friends.
I found that I was able to venture into high level zones with advanced enemies fairly soon. Maybe they'll take a note from Eldan Rang where you get ass raped by a tree sentinel in the first 30 minutes of the game and then Margitt proceeds to dunk on you very soon after.

I hope they up the difficulty this time around. Being too easy was one of the few weak points of DD
On the topic of difficulty, I hope they don't take so long to ease us into the big monsters. It could be harder sure, but taking so long fighting Cyclops and Goblins kinda hurts when recommending the game to friends.
I found that I was able to venture into high level zones with advanced enemies fairly soon. Maybe they'll take a note from Eldan Rang where you get ass raped by a tree sentinel in the first 30 minutes of the game and then Margitt proceeds to dunk on you very soon after.
That sorta happens in the first game already. This quest that has you recovering this magic book takes you to two locations: one is closer and the enemies overwhelm you in numbers and in power, and the other one is easier, but it's evry far away (and across higher level areas) and the book isn't there in the end.

Looks great, will probably be infested with "pronoun" and "body type" shit going by other Capcom properties. If that's the case I won't buy it, no mater how much I enjoyed DD1.

I agree that it will probably include pronouns and body type instead of simple sex selection.

However, the trailer revealed good looking males as well as females in revealing armor, so there's hope.
While I remain skeptical, the trailer really looks quite good; it has the dark nights, casting looks to be as meticulous and meaty as we're used to, armors look great, characters attractive etc.

Even the trailer shouldn't exist in current year. Maybe that's a sign that we're getting complex systems, world design and char creator as well.
If pronouns and body type are the only trade-offs, I couldn't care less.

Wait and see.
For a preview just check the SF6 character creator. It'll be infested with they/them/dangerhair/scholar bullshit, no doubt about it.

But still D1P. Dragon's Dogma is my favourite Capcom game of the last 15 years. Based Itsuno.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Fingers crossed for a Fournival reveal soon, I'm given to understand he was a popular character on the Codex.
even i had his avatar at one point
Should have kept it, or at least switched to one of the other Dragon's Dogma avatars:

b27F4xl.png
VtxapNX.png
mLyuZ5R.png
9qoOl1x.png
JtGNeFA.png

Q2tcueo.png
tqu9uSY.png
GZfMCWI.png
5vhh3Ql.png
r0GRUh1.png

vNEvp3b.png
VpBlq82.png
LIPvppc.png
yG6lkxf.png
xkrmyyb.png

vOZ2Ea7.png
XU2SHCL.png
e3yyHl2.png
DpTQSjH.png
b9o4atF.png

WBt2fFb.png
KauYtS7.png
VOWnQ3P.png
ZdA6nRs.png
dsdezyZ.png

Delterius

Arcane
That sorta happens in the first game already. This quest that has you recovering this magic book takes you to two locations: one is closer and the enemies overwhelm you in numbers and in power, and the other one is easier, but it's evry far away (and across higher level areas) and the book isn't there in the end.
Yeah but the enemies in the actual book location are humans, they are 'overtuned' sure (and you fight them even earlier, in Quina's first personal quest) but they aren't interesting enemies. They are just beefy as fuck. DD needs more monsters like the Gryphon, sooner. And fewer quests with mostly just goblins and harpies at the beginning. It doesn't have to go full Dark Arisen on your ass, but it needs more early game variety.

I quite liked the progression from humanoids to more beefy beasts. The first Gryphon fight felt properly grand. Introducing AWSUM stuff earlier risks trivializing things sooner.

I just want more enemies, really, and their quality to be up to par compared to the previous game. Best interpretation of the classic fantasy bestiary by far.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
I'm as eager as the next guy for more mega-monsters like the Sphinx or the Troll; but I hope they take the time to spice up the list of generic chaff monsters. I'd rather have DDO's Orcs than yet another flavor of goblin.

While the base game was fun, the real challenge was in the post game content and the DLC. It's like another game built on top of that already decently sized (40 hours?) game.

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron
There's time to replay Dark Arisen before DD2 is released btw! \o/

Despite the promising trailer, I'm still afraid they're gonna dumb down some of the systems which made DD:DA so great. Most prominent probably the pawn system/difficulty curve: some people here said that DD:DA was too easy, and I agree, if you're playing with a pawn (or three). However, you can throw your main pawn off a cliff and never bother again, you can enter BBI very early as a challenge, most players don't realise how powerful consumables are etc.

Dragon's Dogma is really quite close to perfect, it only needed more content.
I hope that's what we'll get: better graphics and more content.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I agree. I think DD's strength lies in its simplicity. All it needed is advanced environmental dynamics, like when that Ogre/Cyclops stomps and the bridge falls, and a bit more interesting quests than FEDEX-style trash.

And maybe depending on your view: more or less stealing from Berserk. The little witch surrounded by golems in a misty forest might've flied 10 years ago, but now, they might have to try harder than that.

Although, for me, if they did that one again, I'd be more than happy. lol

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
And maybe depending on your view: more or less stealing from Berserk. The little witch surrounded by golems in a misty forest might've flied 10 years ago, but now, they might have to try harder than that.
Surely, with the passage of more than a decade, there must be a vast amount of new material for them to steal. :M

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Surely, with the passage of more than a decade, there must be a vast amount of new material for them to steal. :M
If only.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom