Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

lightbane

Arcane
So it's like Dark Souls with more rpg bits... Again, why isn't this apparently awesome game in the general rpg subforum? Oh, nevermind, I forgot: It doesn't try to hack your personal data nor it has harmful DRM shit :M

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I wouldn't say it's like Dark Souls. Other than both having big monsters and swords, I see no other similarities.

By the way, I got cancelled out from the quest to rescue the girl who went to look for herbs for you in the Witchwood Forest. How screwed am I?

whitemithrandir

Erudite
I wouldn't say it's like Dark Souls. Other than both having big monsters and swords, I see no other similarities.

By the way, I got cancelled out from the quest to rescue the girl who went to look for herbs for you in the Witchwood Forest. How screwed am I?

That's one of those board quests, right?

Yeah, it'll come back one of these days. Those are randomly drawn from a quest pool.

Also, you think that's screwed? I made a decision to put a certain guy in jail which invalidated an entire quest chain with really good rewards.

Well fuck it, NG+ here I come.

Hobo Elf

Arcane

Yeah, it'll come back one of these days. Those are randomly drawn from a quest pool.

Also, you think that's screwed? I made a decision to put a certain guy in jail which invalidated an entire quest chain with really good rewards.

No, I got it from the village elder from the fishing village where your character is from.

whitemithrandir

Erudite

No, I got it from the village elder from the fishing village where your character is from.

Oh that one. Yeah, she died because you took too long haha.

No worries; not a primary quests.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
yeah, some quests cancel automatically once you progress a bit further in the game and witchwood is one of them.
you should be fine. she should be around in a different location later and have some dialogue about how she went to the witchwood but didn't find what she was looking for and have a follow up quest.

also, my pawn's called just Art, if any of you ps3 bros happen to rent him, be nice. his equip sucks cos i have spent two days so far exploring the whole area before taking the quest to go to the capitol, but he has neat skils.

somebody should do an official codex review of the game, to at least somewhat lessen the tide of idiot reviews out there. this game is simply amazing and deserves much better.

Tommers

Augur
This is good to know. I was put off a bit by some of the reviews but people who have actually been playing it are saying it's great.

I'm going to buy it tonight.

whitemithrandir

Erudite
Also, while grabbing on to a fleeing griffin, the fucker flew all the way from Gran Soren to the catacombs and dropped me to my death.

What an asshole.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
There are those times when I really regret not buying PS3. I am really sad deep down inside. But soon enough, I remember that's Sony. And all is well again.

20 Eyes

Liturgist
Codex Game of the Year 2012?

For me, easily. I'd say it's the best game since Knights of the Chalice, but I might be forgetting something. I like it even more than the Souls games, both of which I enjoyed immensely. It is the best non-turn-based realization of the classic D&D adventure model (as in, gather your party and go explore/fight monsters/win treasure) I've ever played. It's not without flaws, but the good easily outweighs them and the game has a lot to offer that you won't find anywhere else.

My biggest complaint is that it's too easy so far, but I'm not finished so maybe it'll get harder. I'm not sure if I did too many side-quests and got too powerful, but my party just tears through everything right now and I don't even have much non-vendor gear.

whitemithrandir

Erudite
My biggest complaint is that it's too easy so far, but I'm not finished so maybe it'll get harder. I'm not sure if I did too many side-quests and got too powerful, but my party just tears through everything right now and I don't even have much non-vendor gear.

Yeah. There was a point in the game
right between when I got rid of the wyrm license and heading out to greatwall encampment
that I felt the same; everything was pretty easy.

Then then game kicked my ass and bashed my face in.

I think a lot of this easiness is due to consumables, and how by this point, you can afford to stuff your face with delicious, delicious weed, but when the game throws you into a couple of grueling endurance fights, it's easy to fall apart.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
I'm addicted. Working on the wyrm license quests. Went from Fighter -> Mage -> Strider -> Mystic Knight -> Magic Archer. Lol. Think I am going to settle with the MA for a bit. But the Sorcerer spells tempt me with juicy animations.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Since I hit last rank on Mage I changed my vocation to Sorcerer so I could get the sweet Augments from that class, but ever since I changed everything has been shit. The damage increase was a lot more minimal than what I was expecting, and the trade off was my healing spells, so I had to switch a Warrior pawn for a Mage pawn that can heal. Because of this I'm getting my ass kicked a lot, or at least taking more health damage from fights. I'll just have to suffer this crap vocation until Rank 9 and then I can switch back to Mage. I thought Advanced vocations were upgrades, but it seems not.
:x

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Well, it's not really fair to compare your rank awesome mage vocation with thousands and thousands of points spent to your noob ass sorceror vocation with no skills yet. I had the same sort of feeling when I went from Strider > Magcik Archer, but there's some really strong shit to be had there.

Though it might be that it's just the hybrid vocations that are better, since pawns don't have access to them, and it's a balance thing (4 magick archers would be total horseshit.)

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Bought this game yesterday. Love it, enough said.

But goddamn walking. I don't have unlimited hours a day to devote to this game (only TL2 earned that privilege because it was limited) and spending the initial 10-20 mins of every quest outside the capital just getting to where I need to be is starting to piss me off. Yeah portal stones but I already bought all from the guy who sells them at 10k.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Well, it's not really fair to compare your rank awesome mage vocation with thousands and thousands of points spent to your noob ass sorceror vocation with no skills yet. I had the same sort of feeling when I went from Strider > Magcik Archer, but there's some really strong shit to be had there.

Though it might be that it's just the hybrid vocations that are better, since pawns don't have access to them, and it's a balance thing (4 magick archers would be total horseshit.)

I didn't have thousands of points spent on my Mage. I just had the updated versions of the basic lightning, fire and ice spells, Light Affinity and the heal spell and the other spell that gets rid of status ailments like poison. All the spells except the curative spells carried over. In theory I should be more awesome because my Magic stat went up a lot and I should be doing a whole lot more damage, but I don't. Just a little bit more.

whitemithrandir

Erudite

I didn't have thousands of points spent on my Mage. I just had the updated versions of the basic lightning, fire and ice spells, Light Affinity and the heal spell and the other spell that gets rid of status ailments like poison. All the spells except the curative spells carried over. In theory I should be more awesome because my Magic stat went up a lot and I should be doing a whole lot more damage, but I don't. Just a little bit more.

Ehhh... Sorcerer isn't one of those classes you can just dip in for some augments. They don't really become all that awesome until vocation rank 7 or so, when they start getting the heavy hitters.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I'm quite certain I'll be returning to the Mage vocation as soon as I get the rank 9 Sorcerer augments, so I'm very reluctant to sink in any more DP's than I have to.

20 Eyes

Liturgist
Having similar vocation woes. My arisen is stuck as a warrior to get the warrior augments. I just hate the slowness of the attacks. I bought Guts' sword and things are getting a little better now that my warrior rank is rising, but it's a long way to max it. Arc of Might/Deliverance is supposedly an insane skill, so I have that to look forward to. My fire/support mage is a sorcerer now and I hate having half of my party be casters, since a support mage is almost mandatory. Tank Arisen, Support Main Pawn, Archer Pawn, fighter/warrior/assassin/strider pawn is my favorite party so far. But man oh man, those sweet sorcerer/warrior augments are so worth it!

I think I'm going to max (at least) Strider, Warrior, Mystic Archer, and Assassin on my arisen. I already maxed Fighter. Mystic Archer sounds pretty sick after reading some of the skill descriptions.

I thought Advanced vocations were upgrades, but it seems not.

Definitely not. Every advanced vocation loses a key element of the basic vocation. Warrior loses speed and shield. Sorcerer loses healing abilities. Ranger loses some durability and melee competence (I'm not too familiar with this one).

Hobo Elf

Arcane
As soon as I get done with my Sorcerer I'm going to have to max out Warrior on my Pawn so I can get the sweet ass augments. I just don't like that he loses his shield since he's a tank, and a very good one at that too. But it's just a pain I have to go through for the greater good. This vocation crap is turning out to be more of a hassle than something fun for me. It's just more shitty grind to manage.

Draconis

Liturgist
I'm glad to hear this game is very good. I'm going to order it now. How important are the online features though? Wondering if I should pick the 360 or PS3 version. (Don't have XBL Gold)

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Just did a quick search on that: "All of Dragon's Dogma's online features are available with a free Xbox Live account,"

Draconis

Liturgist
Well, that's a surprise. Doesn't matter then. Thank you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom