Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

The Ticktockman

Scholar
I'll agree that saving is slow. I'll disagree that it's a bad thing that it makes it difficult for players to do things like artificially advancing time to force a respawn.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I don't see how doing so would affect your game in any meaningful way. Besides, it's not like people still wont do it, slow auto save or not, it'll just a little bit more tedious and take more time. Lastly, once you get into NG+ it's meaningless. Killing the Ur-Dragon will Dragonforge every piece of equipment you have with a 100% chance.

Edit: I beat the dragon and got some rad gear. Got a new shield and a sword called Dragon's Dogma, which is quite powerful. Was kinda pumped because the damage was so high, but as soon as I fought my first Goblin.. Welp, lets just say that the damage means dick at all!

*slight spoilers inc*
You also learn new interesting things about the plot in the prologue. I'm quite certain that the Duke didn't kill the dragon like he claims. He probably went the easy way out and sacrificed his first wife to make the dragon go away. You can sort of see that he's a weak character, but after his break down when you kill the dragon it becomes pretty clear that he's completely craven.
And I think the Everfall is really interesting. I like how you paradoxically fall through the same world for an infinite times, like you are stuck in a loop when you jump into the hole. This would make Raziel and Kain shit themselves.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"The difference is that Bioware made their reputation on their writing, so it's not really exceptable for them to have boring, bland quests.

Dragon's Dogma, though, is all about wandering the world and stabbing giant monsters in the face, so people are less picky about the quests (at least I am)."

Lame cop out response. Youe ither are pro board quests or not. It should not fukkin' matter whose doing them. FFS But, hey, gots to keep the hates on for BIO, afterall.

"I actually like the save system, since it makes you put more thought into the choices you make. For example, if you figure out that you made the "wrong" decision in a quest, you can't just reload a save from two hours previous and redo it. s for having only one character, that is kind of annoying. But (at least on the PS3) you can get around it by setting up additional accounts."

The save system is stupid. It hasn't made me 'think' anymore than I usually do. Just plain dumb.

How cna anyone fukkin' defend the one character system? It's beyond retarted. Morans like you make me one to hate the game which such fukkin' lame defense of its weaknesses. Hasving only one character is fukkin' pathetic. Period.

Ebonsword

Arcane
The only problem with the save system, at least auto save, is that it's sloooooooooooooow. Takes ages to advance 7 days in time for the Drake to spawn back.
Is it just me, or do saves seem to take longer the further you are in the game? I swear that they were quicker when I first started.

Ebonsword

Arcane
"The difference is that Bioware made their reputation on their writing, so it's not really exceptable for them to have boring, bland quests.

Dragon's Dogma, though, is all about wandering the world and stabbing giant monsters in the face, so people are less picky about the quests (at least I am)."

Lame cop out response. Youe ither are pro board quests or not. It should not fukkin' matter whose doing them. FFS But, hey, gots to keep the hates on for BIO, afterall.

"I actually like the save system, since it makes you put more thought into the choices you make. For example, if you figure out that you made the "wrong" decision in a quest, you can't just reload a save from two hours previous and redo it. s for having only one character, that is kind of annoying. But (at least on the PS3) you can get around it by setting up additional accounts."

The save system is stupid. It hasn't made me 'think' anymore than I usually do. Just plain dumb.

How cna anyone fukkin' defend the one character system? It's beyond retarted. Morans like you make me one to hate the game which such fukkin' lame defense of its weaknesses. Hasving only one character is fukkin' pathetic. Period.

Ah, Volly, I love you like the insane, crotchety uncle I never had.

sser

Arcane
Developer
If I may say something about quest boards and BioWare games. I haven't played DD yet, though I really want to, but the game seems open world enough to give the idea of actually going on a "quest." This is not the same in BioWare games I've played. There was a quest board in the first town of Dragon Age, for example, and you walk but twenty yards out from the town and slay what shit is out there and then walk back in for the reward. Or you walk twenty yards to the left to get the other things. Or you walk across the fucking road to talk to a kid and more or less finish that quest. It's all very... banal. And I enjoyed Dragon Age, but saying all quest boards are mechanically the same is clearly not true (and really has nothing to do with the writing, either).

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
There are some quests of that nature in DD too, but yeah, by and large by the time you complete the quest it'll have changed from day to night at least once. This is one of the few games where the day cycle actually feels important and note worthy. I get that weird disorienting feeling when I come out of a cave and I'm not sure if it's early morning or late evening and how many hours I've been down there. I think about whether or not to engage enemies while travelling based on whether I can reach a rest point before nightfall if I stop to fight.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Good point. Another difference between the two is that DA board quests tend to a little deep (nto saying they are deep just deeper) than DD baord questss.

That said, my point is people bashed BIO's baord quests for their simple existence yet suck DD's use of the same or at least are admittedly neutral. That's bullshit.

For me, board quests don't bother me no matter what since theya re optional and can be udnertaken or ignored at your choosing.

20 Eyes

Liturgist
That said, my point is people bashed BIO's baord quests for their simple existence yet suck DD's use of the same or at least are admittedly neutral. That's bullshit.

[Perception] Volourn's attempt to derail the thread detected.

I'm not even going to talk Bioware with you, but who is 'sucking DD's use of the notice board system'? Nobody in this thread that I've read, and that doesn't match anyone's opinion that I've read anywhere else. Nobody is claiming the Notice Board is a strong point of the game (if they are, they're a minority from what I've seen).

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Oh man...

Anyone else on the Post-Game? Hellhounds man... hellhounds.

The Post Game is rough. I want to get past it to unlock NG+...but damn.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Like I said earlier, I got into the prologue today too. Shit is a lot beefier, but the game is more fun for me again. I'm gonna postpone killing the Ur-Dragon in favor of powering up. Maybe try and dragonforge my Dragon's Dogma too. Gonna hunt down the new enemies too, like Liches, Evil Eyes, Wyrms and Hydras. Shit's gonna be fun.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
I don't see how doing so would affect your game in any meaningful way. Besides, it's not like people still wont do it, slow auto save or not, it'll just a little bit more tedious and take more time. Lastly, once you get into NG+ it's meaningless. Killing the Ur-Dragon will Dragonforge every piece of equipment you have with a 100% chance.

Edit: I beat the dragon and got some rad gear. Got a new shield and a sword called Dragon's Dogma, which is quite powerful. Was kinda pumped because the damage was so high, but as soon as I fought my first Goblin.. Welp, lets just say that the damage means dick at all!

*slight spoilers inc*
You also learn new interesting things about the plot in the prologue. I'm quite certain that the Duke didn't kill the dragon like he claims. He probably went the easy way out and sacrificed his first wife to make the dragon go away. You can sort of see that he's a weak character, but after his break down when you kill the dragon it becomes pretty clear that he's completely craven.
And I think the Everfall is really interesting. I like how you paradoxically fall through the same world for an infinite times, like you are stuck in a loop when you jump into the hole. This would make Raziel and Kain shit themselves.

*slight spoilers*
You are farther in the game than I, but the Dragon TELLS YOU that the Duke took the deal and sacrificed his love who I assume to be Lenore. He didn't think ANYONE could beat the dragon - which he tells you. He believes *YOU* made a deal with the dragon to take his duchy and his youth.

How do I get past the post-game to NG+? Everfall is kicking my butt all over the place.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Actually, I don't know because I didn't try it before beating the post-game stuff. But I figure if it kills you you'll just reload like always.

TheLostOne

Savant
It kills you if you use it before you finish the main post game quest. Handy for scum-saving before Everfall chests if you want to try and get all the 2% drops if you're into that. I did it for one chest, but it's too boring.

Draconis

Liturgist
It's not possible to change primary weapons without going into the equipment menu, right? Ugh, that's a bit annoying when playing as a Mystic Knight as I like to change and using both spells and melee weapons. Oh well.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
It kills you if you use it before you finish the main post game quest. Handy for scum-saving before Everfall chests if you want to try and get all the 2% drops if you're into that. I did it for one chest, but it's too boring.

Is the main post game quest the 20 wakestones? Also, the pawns asking for the wakestones look JUST like the pawns from the beginning of the game. I wonder if that's a coincidence.

Hobo Elf

Arcane

*slight spoilers inc*

*slight spoilers*
You are farther in the game than I, but the Dragon TELLS YOU that the Duke took the deal and sacrificed his love who I assume to be Lenore. He didn't think ANYONE could beat the dragon - which he tells you. He believes *YOU* made a deal with the dragon to take his duchy and his youth.

How do I get past the post-game to NG+? Everfall is kicking my butt all over the place.

The Dragon didn't tell me anything about that. Must've been some C&C then that changed things for us. Interesting. And to get to NG+ you have to kill the Ur-Dragon. I believe he's on the 8th level of the Everfall. Be wary, he's the strongest enemy in the game and he comes with 3 pawns of his own! But he drops the best weapons in the game too.

One way to farm for items from the Everfall chests is to open the chest but not loot the item if it's not your desired item. Zone out and back in and the chest will have a new item. Should make things a bit less annoying.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
And to get to NG+ you have to kill the Ur-Dragon.

Are you sure about this? I also killed Ur-Dragon before starting NG+ but I had already amassed the 20 Wakestones before killing him, which leads me to believe I could've completed the quest at any time.

Mortmal

Arcane
I am in new game + now alas, they diddnt buff the enemies, if they did its not noticeable, all i have left to do is finish the fw quests i may have misssed. I wish i could buy more real content and not the completely useless DLC.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
And to get to NG+ you have to kill the Ur-Dragon.

Are you sure about this? I also killed Ur-Dragon before starting NG+ but I had already amassed the 20 Wakestones before killing him, which leads me to believe I could've completed the quest at any time.

After playing a bit further I can say that the Ur-Dragon isn't the last boss, that was bad info on my part. I'll not say who the last boss is. Let that be a surprise for you all.

TheLostOne

Savant
One way to farm for items from the Everfall chests is to open the chest but not loot the item if it's not your desired item. Zone out and back in and the chest will have a new item. Should make things a bit less annoying.

Saving in front of the chest, using the Godsbane, then hitting Retry is much quicker than rezoning. Like I said, though, I had more fun just exploring the ledges then resting to respawn everything rather than reloading 50 times for a piece of equipment.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Finally beat the game, but what a poopy ending. I thought you had to make a choice if you want to go to NG+ or have your character erased by becoming the Seneschal. I felt like there was no value for me to be had in NG+ so I wanted to end my MK's journey there, but I suppose I have to suicide exit into NG+ because the devs were too pussy to go the NIER route. :M

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
There is also apparently NG++... I have no idea if anything is different in that version.

Well, I did some tweaking on my main character and moved my main pawn back to a mage from a sorcerer. Killed the Archhydra which was a fun fight, but it did involve picking up a lot of pawns after they go steam rolled by the Archhydra. I also bought it once and had to use a wakestone when it was *ALMOST* dead but it ate my main character and swallowed him. *shurg*, net gain of 2 wakestones.

4 more wakestones to go.

Was anyone able to defeat the room with the Wights, Chimera, Gorechimera, AND Hellhounds in it all at the same time? That room is the worst. My pawns were just getting knocked down and dragged all over the place by the hellhounds while I was getting tag-teamed by the chimeras. I would struggle to get up to only have a dozen zombies grab me and hold me still while the chimeras pounced again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom