Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

Perkel

Arcane
Or you could just get lobotomy if you want. I think it will be good choice for you.
I'm guessing you already had yours? Because it's very simple, the items are optional, if they make the game boring you don't have to use them.

How it is optional when you can't buy ferrystones anywhere else for proper price ?

Whole point of ferrystone was risk/reward system:

- Spend ton of cash on ferrystone or improve gear
- Night is coming use ferrystone if i will be fucked soon and loose 30k or keep my pants on and run like a bitch.

You remind me of all those faggots screaming Bonfire system in DS2 was improvement over DS1 or DS1 over Deamon's Souls. Or those TES faggots who say "fast travel is optional duh"

Perkel

Arcane
If it wasn't completely trivial to run past enemies in this system it might be a balance thing, but since you can travel is purely a time sink. I like a simmy travel system in Risen/Gothic (for a while) because you aren't the fastest thing in a flat, rarely chokepointed open world and travel can be a challenge in itself, but in this it's butt.

Except you are in dank dungeon or at the end of map and night is coming, you are low on supplies and you need actually to comeback from quest which means trekking across land in night with ton of mobs hunting you down.

Like i said before ferrystone system and night/day system are integral part to what made original DD so great. With DA changes i see night isn't any factor at all currently, nor exploring any dungeon because you always have ferrystone for 2k as escape rope from any dungeon.

That was stupid tbh. The armors and stuff i did too, but the ferrystone? That ferrystone works as a patch for the tedious long walks and painful backtracking dude. If u still enjoy the game, then nvm, but for me it was a downer.

We can agree that in some parts there were some annoying backtracking but good that came with no easy fast travel system outshined the bad that comes with it.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I get the feeling most people haven't actually tried 'just running through' the more dangerous areas. Plenty of enemies in the game that can catch you while running and freeze you in place, which can easily be deadly if you're low on supplies or out of your depth.

Mozg

Arcane
If it wasn't completely trivial to run past enemies in this system it might be a balance thing, but since you can travel is purely a time sink. I like a simmy travel system in Risen/Gothic (for a while) because you aren't the fastest thing in a flat, rarely chokepointed open world and travel can be a challenge in itself, but in this it's butt.

Except you are in dank dungeon or at the end of map and night is coming, you are low on supplies and you need actually to comeback from quest which means trekking across land in night with ton of mobs hunting you down.

There is no enemy in the game that has the AI to hunt you at all, and everything turns back very near its starting position. Go play around with the drake and you can see it's leashed to its started position by a 100 yard or so lead - that's about as big as their range gets. Any danger you felt travelling in the DD overworld was just in your head bro.

Perkel

Arcane

There is no enemy in the game that has the AI to hunt you at all, and everything turns back very near its starting position. Go play around with the drake and you can see it's leashed to its started position by a 100 yard or so lead - that's about as big as their range gets. Any danger you felt travelling in the DD overworld was just in your head bro.

Yeah sure. And then you get stunlocked by direwolves or other mobs who you happen to run on because you lanter doesn't give you enough light to see a lot.

Yes, usually running like a bitch is valid option like you said but in DD especially at night where you can meet mobs waaaay out of your league is still risk. Especially when you don't have that ferrystone that can get you out easilly out of this mess.

Only thing i hated in DD was that you could save anywhere which kind of took out a lot of that risk. If in DD you would be able to save only in town then day/night cycle and your questing/preparation would also look a lot different.

Though probably capcom didn't want people to bitch about it considering it was for general RPG mainstream audience.

Mystary!

Arcane
Except running everywhere actually breaks the balance even further due to all the experience you get.
I didn't use any ferrystones for the first 40 levels or so - because I didn't know you could buy them - and it got me horribly overleveled.
It was hard for the first half hour or so but then it just became a nuisance.

Suicidal

Arcane
Is there any penalty to having your Pawns instakilled by the grim raper on Brokeback Island? I know you can rehire them if they die, but do you lose the items they were carrying or maybe something else? I assumed you had to run from grim every time he shows up but I've read that he can actually be killed but if I try to fight him my pawns are guaranteed to die cause they don't dodge shit.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy

Like i said before ferrystone system and night/day system are integral part to what made original DD so great. With DA changes i see night isn't any factor at all currently, nor exploring any dungeon because you always have ferrystone for 2k as escape rope from any dungeon.

Dungeons are one thing, although personally I can't recall ever using a Ferrystone to escape from a dungeon unless I'd cleared that dungeon, and usually I'd just walk out anyway.

Otherwise, I totally disagree. 90% of the time at night outside of dungeons, the only mobs "hunting you down" are hundreds upon hundreds of wolves and direwolves. Wolves aren't dangerous (in the sense they're likely to kill you) even from the beginning of the game, and by the time you meet direwolves, they aren't really dangerous, either. Neither are harpies or snow harpies. Bandits can be dangerous in groups at night because it's dark, but you'll meet the same groups during the day. That reminds me: Bandits can see perfectly in the dark, even without lanterns. That's bullshit of the highest caliber. However, bandits are very easy to run past, provided your pawns follow in a timely manner.

I fought tons of wolves and direwolves (and harpies and bandits), and it was extremely tedious. Wolves, wolves, wolves, wolves, wolves, wolves, and more wolves. Seriously, dozens and dozens of wolves just walking down one mile of road. There's no danger involved, it's just tedious, slow, and annoying. I dreaded nighttime outdoors only because it meant I'd have to fight another hundred wolves. Goblins aren't ever really dangerous, either.

Also, as Mystary! indicates, fighting through hundreds and hundreds of wolves and harpies and bandits who can't really kill you gets you tons of XP and lots of levels.

In general, I'm a big anti-fast travel advocate, and my Codex history reflects this. However, Dragon's Dogma lacks any kind of boat or stagecoach system at all, meaning you'd have to walk for two hours to get from Cassardis to Greatwall. It would take two hours because you'd be fighting hundreds of wolves along the way, because it gets dark after 20 minutes even if you leave at the crack of dawn.

Is there any penalty to having your Pawns instakilled by the grim raper on Brokeback Island? I know you can rehire them if they die, but do you lose the items they were carrying or maybe something else? I assumed you had to run from grim every time he shows up but I've read that he can actually be killed but if I try to fight him my pawns are guaranteed to die cause they don't dodge shit.

Nah, their items go into your storage. In fact, a good way to store loot in this game if you're deep in a dungeon and have a lot of it is to put it all on a pawn, then throw the pawn off a cliff. :troll:

cw8

Cipher
Killed the offline Ur-Dragon and he dropped the Ascalon. Finally, a holy weapon. Gave it to my Warrior pawn although I can use it myself if I switch to MK. Gonna have another go at Gazer in BBI to see how it goes. Didn't manage to do damage to it a couple days back.

cw8

Cipher
I fought tons of wolves and direwolves (and harpies and bandits), and it was extremely tedious. Wolves, wolves, wolves, wolves, wolves, wolves, and more wolves. Seriously, dozens and dozens of wolves just walking down one mile of road. There's no danger involved, it's just tedious, slow, and annoying. I dreaded nighttime outdoors only because it meant I'd have to fight another hundred wolves. Goblins aren't ever really dangerous, either.

Magick Archers and their hunter bolts clear wolves and other low level mobs quickly. Though it's still a pain to clear them everytime they respawn.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Yeah, they aren't particularly hard to kill, but there are usually a lot of them, and then another huge group around the next corner, then another, etc.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Killed the offline Ur-Dragon and he dropped the Ascalon. Finally, a holy weapon. Gave it to my Warrior pawn although I can use it myself if I switch to MK. Gonna have another go at Gazer in BBI to see how it goes. Didn't manage to do damage to it a couple days back.
The big gazer in BBI is not hard.

1. Chop off all its tentacles, do not attack the gazer directly
2. it will eventually turn into a ball to regrow its tentacles, when this happens, run into the arena down below
3. when the tentacles have regrown, 4 tentacles will start chanting a spell together somewhere in the arena, kill all 4 of them; if you fail to do it in time, the thing they're charging will explode and pretty much kill you.
4. This will drop a thing that looks a bit like an eye which will send a homing missile at the gazer everytime it's struck; this does considerable damage to it, so strike it heaps.
5. If you don't manage to kill it here and there, retreat back up to the ramparts and go to step 1.

polo

Magister
The big gazer in BBI is not hard.

1. Chop off all its tentacles, do not attack the gazer directly
2. it will eventually turn into a ball to regrow its tentacles, when this happens, run into the arena down below
3. when the tentacles have regrown, 4 tentacles will start chanting a spell together somewhere in the arena, kill all 4 of them; if you fail to do it in time, the thing they're charging will explode and pretty much kill you.
4. This will drop a thing that looks a bit like an eye which will send a homing missile at the gazer everytime it's struck; this does considerable damage to it, so strike it heaps.
5. If you don't manage to kill it here and there, retreat back up to the ramparts and go to step 1.
I did it differently. Beat it in the first try, without taking any damage almost.
I just grabed it, and made my way all the way to the eye, hit hit hit hit... When it started doing that tentacles focus thing i killed them, and went again to hit the eye. REALLY easy kill, prob. the easier boss in BBI to me.
(My char is a MA).

Mozg

Arcane
It's possible to beat Gazer while being pretty underpowered (not counting periapts or throwblast/blast arrow spam). As in, like, doing it before Grigori using a pre-endgame weapon like the Caladbolg or something.

When you can't kill the small tentacles easily you can just avoid the small tentacle spells until he starts using the biggest tentacle attack. You can bait the big tentacle into punching the Gazer itself in the eye, which causes it to go into its vulnerable knockdown state where you can hop on the eyeball and do a bar/bar-and-a-half of damage before he recovers. You then repeat that/deal with his great cannon summon if he decides to do that.

Perkel

Arcane
holy hell totally forgot how expansive area south of cassandris is.

I just wanted to trek a little to see how far down i can go (because i forgot) and eventually got to southest area and just when i tried to go back night has come.

Was fun running away from chimeras and other shit on way back. Had to revive multiple times pawns.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
It's possible to beat Gazer while being pretty underpowered (not counting periapts or throwblast/blast arrow spam). As in, like, doing it before Grigori using a pre-endgame weapon like the Caladbolg or something.

When you can't kill the small tentacles easily you can just avoid the small tentacle spells until he starts using the biggest tentacle attack. You can bait the big tentacle into punching the Gazer itself in the eye, which causes it to go into its vulnerable knockdown state where you can hop on the eyeball and do a bar/bar-and-a-half of damage before he recovers. You then repeat that/deal with his great cannon summon if he decides to do that.
You're also guaranteed a stock of enough throwblasts to kill him pretty much right before you face him, so you could easily do this as a level 1 character for the lulz.

Suicidal

Arcane

Nah, their items go into your storage. In fact, a good way to store loot in this game if you're deep in a dungeon and have a lot of it is to put it all on a pawn, then throw the pawn off a cliff. :troll:

Thanks, good to know. Every time someone in my team died I've been reloading so far.

Suicidal

Arcane
Holy shit I may have found my pawn's long lost twin brother :lol:

z2kCuGD.jpg

Stabwound

Arcane
I played a little bit of this, it seems fun so far. My only issue so far is that it doesn't seem to like my PS3 controller much. It keeps defaulting to generic "1,2 3 4" icons for the buttons which don't seem to corrospond to anything.

That, and it seems as though you can't enter text/names with the controller, which is a pain for me.

btw, is it worthwhile to play on hard mode or is it just padding HP and more annoying?

cw8

Cipher
When I was on my Magick Archer, it took me a while and had quite a hard time to clear the Chamber of Fate, the one with a Gore Chimera, a Chimera, a Hellhound-summoning Lich and Hellhounds. I tried it with my Sorc, cast a Bolide and about 2-3 Maelstroms, Bolide insta-killed the Chimera while the Maelstorms took everything else out. The fight went down in a few minutes hehe.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I played a little bit of this, it seems fun so far. My only issue so far is that it doesn't seem to like my PS3 controller much. It keeps defaulting to generic "1,2 3 4" icons for the buttons which don't seem to corrospond to anything.

That, and it seems as though you can't enter text/names with the controller, which is a pain for me.

btw, is it worthwhile to play on hard mode or is it just padding HP and more annoying?

YMMV. http://taron-millet.blogspot.ca/2014/03/why-dragons-dogmas-hard-mode-sucks-i.html

Suicidal

Arcane

I like the hard mode in this game. Instead of bloating HP it bloat damage while HP stays the same so you can get oneshotted by most things in the game. It keeps you on your toes.

Mozg

Arcane

The main effect of hardmode (after you get past the very beginning where shit like a bat will one-shot you) is that it makes humanoid-size enemies much less trivial by giving everything much more stun/knockdown protection (on top of doing much more damage). A big group of hobgoblins or bandits won't just be grass to mow. However, that knockdown protection screws up the fights against the big enemies, which are mostly interesting because of how reactive they are and which are at their most fun when you have to find the quirky ways to stun/knock them down to do real damage.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom