Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Dragonball Xenoverse coming to PC - RELEASED now

Adon

Arcane
Out of the old PS2 games, only ones I played were Budokai 2 & 3, and Budokai Tenkaichi 1 & 3. I still have BT3 actually, I never sold it for some reason -- it's okay. It's fun for a while I guess, and can be a time killer. Budokai 3 is the only one I'd say was genuinely good.

Are any of the post-PS2 games even worth checking out? Only one I recall playing was a demo of Burst Limit, and it seemed alright. The rest that I've seen seem like variations on the Budokai Tenkaichi system, but I'm just talking out of my ass here because I've barely given them a good look.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Sorry Adon I don't have enough knowledge of those games to give you any advice.

However, I will give my 2 cents on something random. Dimps is the develoepr that did the Budokai (not Tenkaichi), and Xenoverse. They also co-developed Street Fighter IV, but with main direction from Dimps. Finally, Dimps was founded in part by the two people who headed Street Fighter I.

Anyways, just sayin' I think they could make a great fighting game if they focused just on that without RPG elements.

Like. I'm pretty sure they could make a Tenkaichi/Raging Blast type of game that's better than the devs that do those (Spike, I think).

I mean, Xenoverse is pretty much Dimps doing the Tenkaichi style game. And seriously, it's good when you actually do the fighting parts. I mean it's really not that different from the other ones. But it's more polished IMO, I seriously reiterate I like trigger + button rather than flick-right-stick for special attacks. Just take out the RPG elements. Actually Xenoverse lets VS with stock DBZ characters that have nothing to do with the RPG part.

I'm interested in what they'd do next... At the same time I personally like the RPG element (just subjective liking). Perhaps best thing to do is just let you jump into VS without going through the Saiyan saga? Ionno. But from what I've heard the play-on-player matches are pretty good (can go up to 3v33) excluding again custom characters,

Special Beam Cannon is meh.
it's actually an awesome attack because it can't be blocked.
extremely good in pve, it's going to do a lot of work in pvp too if you don't use it as your first ultra.

Maxing Basic Attack is part of every build, and done before anything else.
"maxing" is relative. with a ki build your equipment is almost always going to cripple the basic attack while a melee build would be underpowered anyway also wouldn't need it to "max" because of the cap.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
With DLC 3 level cap, you can cap out more than one base stat at 100 without detrimental effect overall.

Also, looking good no matter what you're doing is extremely important, given how most of the entire playerbase seems to be making horribly unpresentable faggots who don't even follow the naming conventions.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
it's actually an awesome attack because it can't be blocked.
Reporting back on this again. I'm actually using Special Beam Cannon more, as it seems like the AI improves as I level up. I almost never got my Ki Supers/Ultimates blocked before but it's happening more often now. I just finished Frieza saga. And also did Vegeta mission 4 for Final Flash, which he blocks so well. To the point where if I train with him again for fun, Final Flash requires me to really get him stunned or in some position to use it. I use Special Beam Cannon against him instead.

Though it could also be because I had been using Scatter Kamehameha a lot before. The scatter part is harder to block since it comes from all directions and also has a delay which I don't think the AI is good at dealing with.

I'm rather glad that I have to spend a lot more time figuring out my builds now. I like decision making.

With DLC 3 level cap, you can cap out more than one base stat at 100 without detrimental effect overall.
Oh okay. I have no problem wanting to get Basic and Ki Super high. I already noticed that almost all clothes with Basic+ have KiStrike- but whatever, some only touch one of them. Or otherwise I can just use my base clothes. Because my Stamina and Health as a Namekian is already pretty high, don't really need points (plus high Stamina has the Con of taking longer to recover from guard break).

I really wish Ki affected how much Ki you get from Basic Attacks. Or the alternative of passive Ki recharge for every race, Humans with faster. It's not that I want to avoid doing Basic attacks at all, but I feel like I have to spend too much time doing them. I don't want to spam Supers, but my play data shows 70% Basics with something like 10% Ki Supers.

Plus Ki is kinda a borderline stat. Whether low or high Ki, you're still spending the same amount of time charging up your Ki. The main benefit of having a high Ki is being able to pull consecutive Supers. Low Ki just means you have to switch between Charging/Building Ki more often. In other words high Ki just gives you a larger reservoir, but the filling up of the reservoir is at the same speed whether your Ki attribute is high or low.

OTOH Stamina has more significant pros and cons. High stamina reservoir is a lot more important than high Ki reservoir because being able to pull off multiple Vanishes within a short amount of time is just... more beneficial. I just feel like you're spending the same time building up Ki no matter how high your Ki is, and that it just increases your reservoir is a very weak benefit.

But I could be wrong, and that pulling off consecutive Supers is very useful.

Plus the passive recharge of Stamina gives you more options on how to recharge your Stamina, whereas Ki is just go to Basic melee attacks or Charge up. Also nice decision making in that too high of Stamina risks a too long recovery from Guard Break as mentioned above.

I mean for one thing, Basic Non-Super Ki Blasts are almost useless except for interrupting. Which Basic melee can do anyway with the addition of building up Ki.

Also, looking good no matter what you're doing is extremely important, given how most of the entire playerbase seems to be making horribly unpresentable faggots who don't even follow the naming conventions.
Yeah definitely.

I spent a while on naming conventions. "Baby Piano" is my Namek. Baby possessed ;)

I think for my Alt I really want to do a Basic Attack build with little reliance on Supers for damage, more-so Supers for utility. I don't want to be a max Health tank though, so perhaps I'll increase Ki a bunch so I can pull off utility Supers. Maybe a few points in Supers for a surprise damage Super now and then. Kinda annoying that Nameks actually a lot of fun with Basic Attacks because of their Dhalsim. If I can get the Dragonballs, high chance I'll respec like that instead of waiting for an alt.

Still gotta learn the combos (which I am so lazy to do, since I basically just use them to build Ki), do better Just Guards (I'm getting better with those), pull off 1-bar Vanishes more (and figure out the 0-bar ones), and try real hard to master the cross-up. Mebbe see if I can find any more use for Basic Ki Blasts.

I suppose I can just pump points into Basic Attacks now? The points in it are actually decent. I have like 50 in Ki Supers, 0 in Strike Supers, and then ~15 each in Health, Stamina, and Basics. Kinda going with the flow - if I feel like I need more health for missions then I'll add more health, etc. but currently I'm good enough to barely lose health.Stamina I plan on getting 6 bars eventually but I'm not terribly in a rush. And putting a bunch in Ki Supers really is just to finish fights faster lol.

Vaarna_Aarne

I rarely max out or even seriously invest in Ki, since it's fairly easy to build up and I don't see much use in consecutive supers outside of SSJ spam. Ki's primary use for me is transformation buffer.

There are Z-Souls that have auto-charge for Ki too. Ie, Elder Kai gives you one which after two-minutes have passed permanently increases all your stats and adds Ki autocharge (sufficient to completely reverse drain from Unlock Potential, almost enough to stop SSJ1 drain).

And yea, I too use Supers first and foremost for utility, with usually only one attack Super.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
I rarely max out or even seriously invest in Ki, since it's fairly easy to build up and I don't see much use in consecutive supers outside of SSJ spam. Ki's primary use for me is transformation buffer.

There are Z-Souls that have auto-charge for Ki too. Ie, Elder Kai gives you one which after two-minutes have passed permanently increases all your stats and adds Ki autocharge (sufficient to completely reverse drain from Unlock Potential, almost enough to stop SSJ1 drain).

And yea, I too use Supers first and foremost for utility, with usually only one attack Super.
Gotcha.

Ahh that's right, Ki is for SSJ.

Maybe for PVP consecutive Supers is useful?

I want that Z-Soul now lol. But Elder Kai is gonna take forever :'(

Hmm I think I'll try just shoving points into Basic Attacks now. And somewhat into Health. Maybe ~25 points into Stamina for one bar. Already have 50 in Ki Blasts but I suppose it'll be nice for Ultimates and the random attack Super.

Thank you very much Vaarne!

Edit: And then I hope they finally add unique transformations for each of the other races when I get to the point where I can make an alt. Wishful thinking. Cuz I dunno if I want a Strike character, because it's gonna be a repetition of Basic Attacks... On the other hand Recoome Kick is fucking awesome. Will make a super-speedy male Majin with Jeice & Burter moves... or a tanky Frieza.

Vaarna_Aarne

I don't cap out Ki even on my Saiyans, since I feel that there's more than enough to go on with plenty before that, and even less need with an autocharge Z-Soul.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
TorontRayne

Actually you may be able to do online multiplayer, depending on how you interpret this question on this FAQ: https://www.reddit.com/r/dbxv/comments/2xlga1/big_ole_faq/
why cant i play online?

-you have to beat the sayain saga first

the previous question wasn't enough

• you might not be able to connect to the multiplayer world and be forced into the single player world however you can still host and join online events. The only difference is not seeing other players move around.
No idea if that means you can still do VS if you have issues connecting after the Saiyan Saga, or if that means you can do VS from the beginning.

I'm not rerolling to check for you :p

Vaarna_Aarne

Regarding earlier mention of save editing as a way of skipping increasingly tedious (pick your own cutoff point), save editing done within the rules of the game doesn't prevent you from playing online. The anti-cheater detection is apparently pretty lousy in general (since majority of the game's run on the client side), but the most basic one is just checking your allocated stat points compared to level. I've save edited all my characters to max level (easiest way is to just change the XP total to match cap) and it works just fine.

Also, cool and attractive people color-code their moves (ie, my Namekian uses blue and yellow energy attacks, due to Unlock Potential transformation and basic blast).

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Regarding earlier mention of save editing as a way of skipping increasingly tedious (pick your own cutoff point), save editing done within the rules of the game doesn't prevent you from playing online. The anti-cheater detection is apparently pretty lousy in general (since majority of the game's run on the client side), but the most basic one is just checking your allocated stat points compared to level. I've save edited all my characters to max level (easiest way is to just change the XP total to match cap) and it works just fine.

Also, cool and attractive people color-code their moves (ie, my Namekian uses blue and yellow energy attacks, due to Unlock Potential transformation and basic blast).
Gotcha. I dunno, I don't think I'll find it tedious until story mode ends. Dunno what I'll do with an alt. I plan on checking out mods later today or something. But time to play right now.

Wait did you say you can respec your stat points? Hmm

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Question, do NPC allies prevent you from getting Dragonball drops if they KO the Time Patroller instead of you?

Because I've heard that only the person ally can get it.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
TorontRayne Okay I'm pretty sure you can do any VS from the beginning of the game. There's a "difference" between the Single Player lobby you start out in and the "Multiplayer" lobby until after the Saiyan Saga. But Multiplayer lobby is just being able to see other characters outside fights.

I currently am in "single player lobby" mode and while I don't see anyone in the game world, I can join people in games. And the offline matchmaking works.

Well, I'm 90% sure, I am level 37 so it might be different. But I 10% doubt that you can't.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Question, do NPC allies prevent you from getting Dragonball drops if they KO the Time Patroller instead of you?

Because I've heard that only the person ally can get it.
Vaarna_Aarne HELP ME

Actually it's funny, I grinded like 2-3 hours for recharge skills available before the Android Saga.. and I got 2 dragonballs outta that. And I already had 1 somewhere from before. So this plan seems very simple since I'll probably get the rest of the dragonballs in a week: I'm gonna shove points into Basic Attacks.. If I like them, I'll respec to a Basic Attack build and think of what to build around it. So far it's actually not too bad, even with what I put into Basic points half of Blast Supers. A bit of equipment, and I do pretty good damage.

I'm also already decent with basic attacks, since I had to use them for building up Ki, and when I am forced to do something my Asian perfectionism comes out and I try do cool things. Comboing into Throws. Varying the boost dash smack vanish thingie into doing a combo at the end or using a blast instead of following with another combo or basic attack. Not so good with guarding yet, but I am managing a Just Guard once in a while. The only thing annoying about Throwing is that it's hard to time it so that you Throw instead of what the face button usually does (e.g. basic ki blast for Controller 1, guard for Controller 2, forget what for Controller 3).

However I suck at using the defensive Supers (Spirit Boost, Afterimage). Evasive Ultimates I'm decent at. I'm good at avoiding Guard Break unless I'm intentionally practicing my Guarding.

---

Oh yeah, so is your Namekian the one you're talking about with the Basic build? Or is that with another race?

---

Also fuck the story mission I just did. Fight 5 warriors to prepare for Cell. Which I thought might be moderately difficult. But nooo.... Two stages of fucking 2 SSJs attacking me at once. I have no idea how I beat them. Piccolo at the end so no big deal. Actually I'm curious what hte Parallel Quest for that is now.

Vaarna_Aarne

All my Builds have Basic Attack as a part of them, I consider it just to make sense. My Namekian is a fairly durable Ki Blast (my main thing in each alt is whether to use Strike or Ki supers) user besides obvious Basic Attack speccing. I just find that you spend so much time beating people up that you might as well maximize that benefit, which to me feels more important than, say, maxing health. Ultimates are Perfect Kamehameha and Unlocked Potential, Z-Soul is Hmmmm Hmmm Hmmmm (Elder Kai soul mentioned prior), and Supers are Maximum Charge, Rise to Action, Prepare to be Punished (ORE GA SABAKU is always cool), and Evil Explosion. Evasive Skill is Angry Shout (which only looks decent on Namekian/Frieza Clan/Majin).

Dragon Balls are fairly easy to farm once you unlock the right PQs. And note: You can only ask for a level as a wish ONCE.

considered how many of my builds are short/small frame, most of the time i don't put a single point in basic attacks, i use them just as filler between ki blasts, so ki attack and stamina are way higher on my list. even more than hp, it's stamina which keeps alive.
i don't know how things work with the new raised level cap, but before that stat points weren't that many.

Vaarna_Aarne

Before I'd take out points from somewhere else to put in Basic Attack. Just my preference.

Though I should point out that minimum height and weight do NOT decrease Basic Attack, max weight only increases it above normal. Height only affects Speed and Health (Speed is also affected by race, so even max Height Frieza Clan is going to be faster than the rest).

EDIT: And yea, prior to DLC cap raises, I'd only cap out Basic Attack with other stats built up to functionally beneficial levels. Only my Super Saiyan schoolgirl had Ki Blast maxed out as well at the expense of most stats (then again, Saiyan females are all about the spam).

Last edited:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
My way of doing things, with a Blast Super biased Namekian:

In general, I do a hybrid Basic/Super build (still biased towards Blast Supers) because there are different AIs it seems. Sometimes an enemy is likes to boost dash a lot (usually fighting my ally) that it's hard to land a blast super/ultimate (like, it's even hard to spam Death Beams.. 1 outta 3 hit for example). In which case I'll only use Supers when I think they're vulnerable, so I need to rely on Basic Attacks also for damage. Thus... well redundantly I like a functional Basic Attack stat as a backup.

For specific missions where I know I need to keep an enemy from even using a Super and they are good at defending Basics (such as sparring Vegeta) and do good damage in melee in general, I use the strategy of using only the knock-away Basic Attack and then shooting a Super. In that case I do not want to spend any time doing damage with Supers, and want to play keep-away, so I don't spend as much time doing Basics (as the first example), and I just equip clothing that maxes out my Blast Super as much as possible.

For melee Strike Super builds I think any build works just because of how clothing usually adds the same points to Basics and Strike Supers. So it's kinda up to you. Actually Stamina is probably most important; keep in mind, though, that too high Stamina = longer recharge from a Guard Break.

Though in general it's personal preference. Do you like using combos? Then you'd want a hybrid. If you don't like doing combos at all, then just spam into your Super. You probably don't want a Basic only build because you're gonna be having a lot of Ki anyway. (Unless you like using Z-Souls that activate when you have max Ki.)

So actually I do a hybrid because I enjoy doing combos.

I'll only have to decide which way the hybrid is biased towards.

Vaarna_Aarne

Nope, haven't tried. My guess is that the only way it could work is if you also used Steam chat to organize and had a carefully set-up circle that can do private match and PQs.

And yea, the game supposedly has a huge number of cheaters because the online servers can't detect client-side cheats well.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
I did two online parallel quests. The first time I joined someone else's game, and they were doing some kind of cheat. After about 30 seconds they did some thing that caused all the enemies to freeze, but you could still fly around and hit them racking up huge combos, but were primarily wasting a lot of time sitting there not completing the mission. Due to the fact that it was boring and I don't condone cheating in games I had to alt-f4 out of that match (since apparently there is no in game way to exit an on-line mission).
Lol it was probably lag.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Maybe, but I don't think so. The player characters (including the host) were flying around and using voice chat just fine (although with the poor quality of their mikes and their accents it was really hard to tell what they were saying), it was just the enemy NPCs that were frozen in place. Also, no one was lag teleporting around.
Voice chat does work even with the lag. It seems.

And the lag in the game doesn't deal with teleporting. Never noticed anything like that.

I'm completely serious. I have dealt with just enemies floating in space doing nothing. And then after a while I can't even do anything, can't move to the next portal, or anything.

It's all P2P and that's the problem I think. I suspect a lot of port forwarding, port firewall opening is needed. Perhaps "lag" is the wrong term but just like, complete disconnection between clients.

Check if you are playing with people that have 3 bars or less of connection (looks like yellow). Seems to be that 4 or more work (they're in the green).

Maybe we can try just privating ourselves.

edit: I'm at level 80 and yeah, I almost always avoid parallel quests if I see 3 bars or less. But 4 or more I usually have a good time. It's fun.

I also record everything, do commentaries, so it'll be fun.

I also modded to get all the skills, though non-DLC and non-mentor. The RNG for drops is just too bad... I can do a mission 10 times and not get the skill I want. I didn't think it was so bad when I read about it, but it really is. I mean you can still level fine up to the story cap which is not a big deal; I don't care about hitting max level. The draw of the game for me is customizing the skills, and the RNG just ruins it for me.

I also prevented myself from respeccing versus mods. I can just use Dragon Balls. Maybe will mod in some Z-Souls. I don't want to cheat at all, but grinding for skills and ZSouls is just terrible.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Man acquiring Supers and customizing builds is awesome.

I'm seriously gonna try to make a Strike Super AND Blast Super character. Supplementary points in Basics. Will just ignore Ki, Stamina, and Health. I'll have to try a bunch of races. Since some races have high Health anyways, so they especially wouldn't need as much defensive...ability.

Not gonna do it with my current/only/main. He's like 2% from being able to make alts if I'm assuming correctly so whatever.

I am gonna spend my dragonballs to get a new voice though lolol

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom