Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Quest XI

Duralux for Durabux

Anyone who thinks you need to grind in Dragon Quest simply has no idea what they are doing. Same goes for SMT.
You clearly haven't played Dragon quest 8. The bosses out level you if you don't grind a little.

Duralux for Durabux

Isn't a problem if you buff and debuff, it's been intrinsic to DQ since the beginning. You don't have to grind in any fucking DQ game unless you are incompetent.
I'm absolutely sure you haven't played it because you cannot buff your team for the starting bosses, say the Octopus boss for exemple. Mostly provoked by the low levels of your team and some usefull characters not available yet on the team.
You would know if you have played it.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Isn't a problem if you buff and debuff, it's been intrinsic to DQ since the beginning. You don't have to grind in any fucking DQ game unless you are incompetent.
I'm absolutely sure you haven't played it because you cannot buff your team for the starting bosses, say the Octopus boss for exemple. Mostly provoked by the low levels of your team and some usefull characters not available yet on the team.

lmao dude you can psyche up with yangus for a couple turns while using the hero to heal and he destroys him. keep exposing yourself as a shitter, though...

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture

The octopus is a little tricky in DQ XI Draconian stronger monsters, because it is easy to miss the cannon. Speak to the fishermen in the village before the octopus, and one will lend you a cannon for your ship. If you have that the battle starts with the cannonblast desorienting the octopus, applying a few powerfull debuffs on it that make the fight much easier.

If you mean the Octopus in DQ VIII I am with Jenkem , that one is much much easier than the one in DQ XI and you shouldn't need to grind against it.

Duralux for Durabux

lmao dude you can psyche up with yangus for a couple turns while using the hero to heal and he destroys him. keep exposing yourself as a shitter, though...
The Octopus wipes out your entire team in a single swing doing a consequent amount of damage. With a low level, you are too restricted on your action and mana which ultimately leads to a defeat.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth

The octopus is a little tricky in DQ XI Draconian stronger monsters, because it is easy to miss the cannon. Speak to the fishermen in the village before the octopus, and one will lend you a cannon for your ship. If you have that the battle starts with the cannonblast desorienting the octopus, applying a few powerfull debuffs on it that make the fight much easier.

If you mean the Octopus in DQ VIII I am with Jenkem , that one is much much easier than the one in DQ XI and you shouldn't need to grind against it.

He's definitely talking about 8. He's been in the shoutbox trying to "expose" that I've never played DQ8 and it is seemingly the only one he's played (if he's even played it)

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
As someone who finished 3 DQ games including DQ11 i fucking hate metal slime concept. Instead of making fights fun and varied to get XP needed they give you metal slime so you can farm for hours like robot in one of the most boring ways possible.

Imagine being so fucking soulless you don't like the existence of metal slimes and the joy of killing one before it runs away and hearing the level up fanfare 2-3 times.

If you want soulless emo shit go play Final Fantasy.

Sentinel

Arcane
You have obviously only played remakes of DQ games lol. Georgie is right about 8, it's grindy garbage. Even at the starting dungeon you have to grind, if not for levels, then for gold, to get some medicine herbs. Then the octopus boss will most likely require you to grind 2~3 levels depending on where you're at, and Dhoulmagus will 100% require grinding again.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I played DQ VIII until shortly after evil Jessica before losing my save file, and I barely even remember the Octopus...
The hardest fight I remember was Dhoulmagus, Evil Jessica was a bit tricky aswell.
I will soonish replay that game, currently I am playing them in release order and I am at DQ V.

Casual Hero

Augur
I'm afraid I've stagnated in DQ 8. I've been replaying it to catch up with my old save, but I'm now stopped at the place I left off last time- just after beating Dhoulmagus and going to the next town. It has great visuals and I love the whole vibe of the game, but it feels quite slow for a DQ game.
I'm not sure, maybe it's something else that is throwing me off because that isn't inherently a bad thing (playing a slower paced game).
I might go back to playing them chronologically for now, which means that 6 would be next for me.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm afraid I've stagnated in DQ 8. I've been replaying it to catch up with my old save, but I'm now stopped at the place I left off last time- just after beating Dhoulmagus and going to the next town. It has great visuals and I love the whole vibe of the game, but it feels quite slow for a DQ game.
I'm not sure, maybe it's something else that is throwing me off because that isn't inherently a bad thing (playing a slower paced game).
I might go back to playing them chronologically for now, which means that 6 would be next for me.

The Japanese dude who has played through all Dragon Quests without sleeping has ended up with DQ VI as his favourite game.
Made me more excited to finally arrive there, VI is usually regarded as one of the weaker games. Currently III, V and IX are my favourites, maybe VI can knock one of them off when a superfan like that can have the game as his favourite.

Dragon Quest VIII really is a bit slow. Combat is fun and all, but with neither vocations or monster catching the skill system has not enough depth to keep the game interesting that long. Dragon Quest XI circumvented that problem, by making the main story a good bit shorter and making the entire third act clearly fanservice. Also DQ XIs skill system is quite a bit more complex, and you can easily and frequently respec to keep your playstile fresh. I feel like by the time I killed Dhoulmagus in FFVIII I would have finished Act II in DQ XI already.

Duraframe300

Arcane

The Japanese dude who has played through all Dragon Quests without sleeping has ended up with DQ VI as his favourite game.
Made me more excited to finally arrive there, VI is usually regarded as one of the weaker games. Currently III, V and IX are my favourites, maybe VI can knock one of them off when a superfan like that can have the game as his favourite.

I always found this to be a weird perception personally.

I mean yes, it often gets regarded or cited as one of the weakest DQ's. but for the life of me I've come across more actual people that regard VI highly than I haven't, both when it was only known by its (not entirely complete) fan translation and during the DS era.

Another DQ that got a weird reception over time is VII. There was a time when people were ready to slice you up if you dared to say something positive about it.

Last edited:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
VI is great, my second best DQ after V. I never liked VII for me it was a complete letdown after playing VI.

Vorark

Erudite
VI had the best transportation methods too. Who cares about generic airship when you get

a flying bed?

And that's just the beginning.

Duralux for Durabux

VI is great, my second best DQ after V. I never liked VII for me it was a complete letdown after playing VI.
7 is nowhere near as bad as 9, in fact it's a decent one.
9 has such a juvenile and stupid story, it probably stands up as the worst DQ story. Only good features 9 provides in a relative way are dungeon maps and visible ennemies

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
7 is nowhere near as bad as 9, in fact it's a decent one.
9 has such a juvenile and stupid story, it probably stands up as the worst DQ story. Only good features 9 provides in a relative way are dungeon maps and visible ennemies
I haven't played IX, but I'll have to say XI is not that great in the writing department either, it's like it has been written by a 12y old. On the actual gameplay department XI is one of the best in the series though. It also has a pretty decent crafting mechanic, games very rarely get it right.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom