Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Dragon Quest Heroes - Out on Steam!

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
79fed71b0e1ff2cdf0a48d6c92a659bd.jpg

That’s right! You read that correctly, the announcement is real - Dragon Quest Heroes will be coming out in Europe and North America in 2015, exclusively for PlayStation 4 and will be available as both boxed physical release and digital download via PlayStation Network. So if you were thinking about importing Dragon Quest Heroes because that would be the only way you’d get to play it, you no longer have to!

Day one purchase for me! It's best described as a Masou/rpg hybrid, I guess. Here's a gameplay video.

Dat small h in the title. :negative:

Ilya

Literate
I always get sad whenever I see announcements on PS4 or Vita because I'm poor as fuck. :negative:

I kind of liked Hyrule Warriors, but I'll admit the gameplay of this game didn't grab me. Attacking the toes of giant monsters didn't look particularly compelling.

Will be neat to see what characters they include, I guess.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Fuck these Dynasty Warrior shovelware games. :mrfussy:
I'd rather they finally brough Dragon Quest X to the west.

Crappy MMO or... Dynasty Warriors clone.

Tough decision. I'd say...Dragon Quest VII remake.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Eh, I think it's a good thing. The genre has been incredibly stagnant since it's creation. Dynasty Warriors itself has varied very little, and games like Samurai Warriors and the Gundam spinoffs haven't changed much either. Some actual fresh ideas in terms of gameplay and atmosphere/theme would be nice for a change. I found the trailer for this rather endearing, it's a decent translation of the old rpg tropes of a small party saving the village/town from a horde of monsters.

Now make me a Lufia themed spinoff with Dekar taking the place of Lu Bu and I'll be in heavan.

Hobo Elf

Arcane

One of those games is a part of the mainline with gameplay faithful to its predecessors, the other is not. And only poorfags complain about MMOs.

Siveon

Bot

One of those games is a part of the mainline with gameplay faithful to its predecessors, the other is not. And only poorfags complain about MMOs.

Right, it's so faithful to its predecessors the gameplay was changed significantly and most of the content is now locked away to an online mode. Clearly, MMOs are the source of all that is incline and should never be criticized. Those that do are obviously lower-class scum who are simply just jealous that they can't grind repetitive tasks for hours on end. It's not like other genres have been doing the same thing for years and didn't require you to pay an extra $15 per month after you pay an initial $60.

I'd rather they finally make Dragon Quest VII available on something other than a PS1/emulator more than anything else really.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Right, it's so faithful to its predecessors the gameplay was changed significantly

Dunno what you on about m8. Instead of threat and taunting like in normal MMOs they gave tanks the ability to push enemies back so that they can block monsters from attacking the weaker party members. Otherwise it's the same game as all previous DQ games.

and most of the content is now locked away to an online mode.

Truly, it is shocking when an online game requires you to play online.

Those that do are obviously lower-class scum who are simply just jealous that they can't grind repetitive tasks for hours on end.

You sound deluded and confused. Dunno why you'd think it important to complain about grinding since DQ was always a very grind heavy series.

It's not like other genres have been doing the same thing for years and didn't require you to pay an extra $15 per month after you pay an initial $60.

Other games, more often than not, never added in as much content post-release as MMOs tend to do. 15 buckaroonies a month is basically nothing unless you are a poorfag.

Siveon

Bot

I'm well aware every DQ game is grind heavy, I just didn't see any point to paying twice as much for doing basically the same thing. Except with people, I suppose. It is a negligible cost, but it's not one I'm entirely comfortable with. That's more my fault than anything else I suppose.

I'm not sure how a real-time MMO has any similarity to Dragon Quest's gameplay but clearly you know more about the game than me so I'll just give you that one. I didn't care about the game enough (or even believed it had any chance of localization) to warrant much research other than a couple of gameplay videos a year or so back. Looking at it now, I can see how it could be entertaining, more than Dragon Quest Heroes at least.

I do like Dynasty Warriors though, but the licensed games have always been hit or miss.

Honestly the only reason this game is getting localized is probably because of the warriors franchise rather than Dragon Quest itself. Not sure why, I was pretty sure DQIX did relatively well.

Dat derail tho. It's like the third time I've derailed a thread.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I'm not sure how a real-time MMO has any similarity to Dragon Quest's gameplay but clearly you know more about the game than me so I'll just give you that one. I didn't care about the game enough (or even believed it had any chance of localization) to warrant much research other than a couple of gameplay videos a year or so back. Looking at it now, I can see how it could be entertaining, more than Dragon Quest Heroes at least.

It didn't. :negative:
I like DQ for its charm and how they don't try to pretend to be anything else but fun fantasy adventure romps. DQX is exactly that but you can do it online with friends. Same as DQ9 I guess, but that game was pretty meh. Not to mention that finding people to play with would be easier in a full blown MMO than it was in DQ9, for obvious reasons.

Siveon

Bot

It didn't. :negative:
I like DQ for its charm and how they don't try to pretend to be anything else but fun fantasy adventure romps. DQX is exactly that but you can do it online with friends. Same as DQ9 I guess, but that game was pretty meh. Not to mention that finding people to play with would be easier in a full blown MMO than it was in DQ9, for obvious reasons.

Shame.
Yeah theme-wise DQX does seem to keep up that direction from previous games, I was mostly focusing on the combat aspect. I've never tried DQ9 multiplayer, for obvious reasons involving the fact that nobody I know plays handheld games - and if they do it's certainly not Dragon Quest. So for a niche fanbase in the west that's pretty divided, I could see how an MMO could fill in that territory gap a bit.

After looking at more gameplay videos, I think I'm warming up to that game much more than pretty much any other MMO. A bit flip-floppy on my part but ah well.
Of course I'm prone to solo'ing most MMOs I play. Not the best idea in the world, now that I think about it.

Also, becoming interested in an MMO that'll never get localized. Why did I do this to myself? :?

Still want DQVII though.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sequel announced for Japan. Coming to PS4/3/Vita.

It doesn't seem like an April's Fools joke.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
The game is coming in October.
01see19301024_01.jpg

I have absolutely no interest in the items for this CE. I will buy the regular edition.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Well shit. Didn't see this coming.
http://gematsu.com/2015/11/dragon-quest-heroes-coming-pc-steam

Among the advertisements that currently appear in Steam's update news pop ups is one for Heroes (via Gematsu). The ad claims the game can be preordered now, but clicking through for details--which ordinarily would take you to the store page--redirects to Steam's frontpage. That's because the game page doesn't exist (or at least isn't public), suggesting this ad wasn't meant to appear yet.

Square Enix has yet to officially announce a PC version of the game, but we've followed up with the company to see if it'll confirm its existence and share a release date.

Martius

Liturgist
Too bad its Temco game so who knows if PC version will be any good. Getting mainline games would be nice, too bad if this will be wasted opportunity.

Siveon

Bot
It's not only about graphics. The PS4 version probably has a better, more stable, framerate.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom