Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age restored my faith in next gen RPG

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Darth Roxor said:
However, the choice whether to follow the bandits or not ends the moment you're seen by the Professor, who's Geralt's long-time nemesis.
Does the in-game Geralt know it? If I remember correctly, Geralt remembers nothing at all in the beginning of the game.

Geralt is an important character in the world, and a rumour about him returning will definitely stir things up (and does, not to mention that almost everyone more or less important you meet recognises you as the White Wolf).
Amnesia.

Quite possibly because you're a complete stranger on the island, unlike a native who might know the local fauna and flora and have a basic geographical knowledge of the surrounding area, and eventually you'd either get overwhelmed by the wilderness...
Considering that most tasks the factions give you revolve around you running around and overwhelming the wilderness, the undead, and the lizards, the "it's not safe out there without a faction" is hardly an argument. I daresay that after running all over the island 20 times you learn its geography, the flora, and the fauna much better than most locals.

Because the moment you find Kreia your slumbering force powers awaken again. You cannot run and hide anymore, because from that moment you're a thousand times easier to find (like it was the case with Visas).
Does your character understand it though? Does he say "oh shit I'm so fucked now! I may even get attacked by the sith, so I should like go, hunt down and kill every fucking jedi and sith in the game because now I'm afraid that something bad is going to happen to me"?

Your father gives you to Duncan. It's Duncan's condition for taking you to safety.
Wasn't that place where your father hits the dirt supposed to be some sort of a supersecret exit? And you really need Duncan to get you out of there? Why? Because you're afraid of the dark?
I don't think that this part is clearly explained. I think it says that the room where your father is leads to the exit without specifying how far this exit is and whether or not you can make it on your own.

I'm talking about 'before' not 'after' the joining.
"Before" you either want to join them because you dig the idea and want to be a warden or don't have any choice in the matter.

But even if so, this leads us to another case of 'banal shit boring' with 'durrhurr, generic ancient evil is awakening, run for your lives'.
The game isn't really about you stopping the ancient evil. It's about you dealing with different factions and building an army.

Astaroth

Educated
1. Amnesia doesn't have anything to do with Geralt's choice after being seen by the professor. LONG-TERM nemesis or not, Geralt wasn't stupid enough to think the Professor will invite him over for a cup of tea after what happened at Kaer Morhen recently.
2. Risen is about playing both sides against the center.They aren't using you. You are using them.
3.The character is perfectly aware that the Sith will hunt him down even if he runs. Remember, in a game, a "character" doesn't need to know. You do.
4.In DAO, its clearly mentioned the castle was surrounded. And there was no way to know the exit of the secret passsage wont lead them into a band of Howe's soldiers. Hence the need for Duncan's babysitting.
5.DAO IS about stopping an ancient evil. Building an army is only a stepping stone.Remember what the army's for? It's not for airing your drawers.

made

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
made said:
Vault Dweller said:
Good writing?
Yes

In poorly translated Witcher?
Polish version. I tire of repeating that every time. Should make it my sig or something.
Surely you realize that most people here didn't play the Polish version.
That doesn't forbid me from comparing original source to original source. I'm sure I could point out how terrible PST's writing was in the German translation, but I don't because the obvious answer is "doh, play it in English."

100% subjective.
I guess you could dismiss the majority of arguments on this forum with that line.
I wasn't aware that "I like the story in game A and didn't like the story in game B" was an argument.
Arguments were made in the respective 70 page threads for both games. You even opened one yourself for a particular introductory scene in DA where people explained why it didn't achieve its goal.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Vault Dweller said:
Does the in-game Geralt know it? If I remember correctly, Geralt remembers nothing at all in the beginning of the game.

The moment everyone sees the Professor, they fill Geralt in with the details.

What? Everyone meeting Geralt also suffers from amnesia?

Considering that most tasks the factions give you revolve around you running around and overwhelming the wilderness, the undead, and the lizards, the "it's not safe out there without a faction" is hardly an argument. I daresay that after running all over the island 20 times you learn its geography, the flora, and the fauna much better than most locals.

Yes. And those tasks are given to you by whom? Why yes, the factions! Who also happen to be the ones to give you a weapon other than a stick, armour other than torn up pants and advice where not to go.

Does your character understand it though? Does he say "oh shit I'm so fucked now! I may even get attacked by the sith, so I should like go, hunt down and kill every fucking jedi and sith in the game because now I'm afraid that something bad is going to happen to me"?

He doesn't say that. Kreia does. Plus, the sith arriving to Peragus are enough of a confirmation of her words.

I don't think that this part is clearly explained.

:smug:

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Astaroth said:
1. Amnesia doesn't have anything to do with Geralt's choice after being seen by the professor. LONG-TERM nemesis or not, Geralt wasn't stupid enough to think the Professor will invite him over for a cup of tea after what happened at Kaer Morhen recently.
My point, which you clearly missed, is that Geralt has no fucking clue who the Professor is and whether or not he has any interest in him. During the fight the Professor says nothing that would give Geralt a reason to drop everything and go after him.

2. Risen is about playing both sides against the center.They aren't using you. You are using them.
You have an overly vivid imagination.

3.The character is perfectly aware that the Sith will hunt him down even if he runs. Remember, in a game, a "character" doesn't need to know. You do.
New rules?

5.DAO IS about stopping an ancient evil. Building an army is only a stepping stone.Remember what the army's for? It's not for airing your drawers.
What do you do most of the game? Stopping the darkspawn or building an army?

Astaroth

Educated
1. Geralt does have a reason. You see, it was the Professor who killed a fellow witcher and stole their secrets.He was also TOLD who the professor is by Triss. And I do believe he'll know the professor will come after him after seeing him inside the city, as he's an obvious threat. It's rather obvious you'll have to go for him before he comes for you.
2. A vivid imagination is an asset. I'll take that as a compliment. Thank you.
3. It needen't be in the rule book. You see, when you play a game, it's always you doing the thinking. Unless you consider movies as games as well....
4.What you do most of the game is THE MEANS TO AN END. The END is important. Ask yourself this: Did you kill more darkspawn in the game or humans+dwarves+beasts+elves etc

made

Arcane
Darth Roxor said:
In the Witcher you're a Witcher, in DA you're a grey warden, where's the problem.

In TW you're given a preset character.

See, thats the subjective part.

You're a Witcher and if you don't like being a Witcher then that's tough shit because that's what the story is based upon. Same with DA's order of Witchers. What matters are the motivations of the characters and how they are presented in-game.

TW, being the adventurelol that it is, doesn't pretend to give you a choice in how you deal with the events at Kaer Morren. You can't remember shit, the people who saved your life were attacked, their home plundered, their secrets stolen, the one who fought at your side died in the attempt to defend it - if that's not motivation enough to track down the attackers (while casually doing your Witcher business on the side) I don't know what is.

In DA you're recruited into an order of supersoldiers for one reason or another and fight orcs because they are evil or whatever. That's about as much as I remember.

Astaroth

Educated
Exactly.
In the end, they are games coded by humans and intended to fit in a popular optical storage media. There will have to be restrictions on what you can do, and what you cannot.
DAO tries to obscure this fact by showing you all you are doing is building armies in varied locals. All you end up doing is fighting darkspawn anyway.

Junior Boy

Educated
Honestly, bitching about being a warden in DA is like bitching about being kicked out of the vault in Fallout.

IT'S THE ENTIRE FUCKING POINT OF THE GAME.

Black

Arcane
I thought the point in da was to fight the vile ancient evil.

Junior Boy

Educated
Good post, virgin.

Dragon Age's premise is that you're a Grey Warden. Bitching about that is...beyond nitpicky. The origins are just to show how you got there. There's no choice because then there would be no game. "Oh Junior Boy, I want to have a choice, I want factions like my buttbuddy Risen!" Well fine, because that was also the POINT of Risen. I'm not going to bitch about not becoming a fucking Jedi or something in Risen, because that would make no goddamn sense and contradict the entire game.

Seriously, it's like whining about the blimp crash in Arcanum.

Or saying "WHY DO I HAVE TO BE AN IMMORTAL I WANT FACTIONS LOL" in Torment.

Or bitching about...what else does the hivemind love...I dunno, shit, being A FUCKING WITCHER IN THE FUCKING WITCHER.

Go play Oblivion if you want that kind of shit. Your complaints are beyond absurd and based not on what you've played in the game, but on your predisposed ideas of whether you will like the game or not. You post on the Codex, seek kool points and are cynical and edgy, a Marylin Manson singing, new shit spewing, hate-infused hypocritical douche. If you want to bitch about Dragon Age, talk about the encounter design, the lack of information on Loghain's motivations, the character system's shallowness, and maybe the awkward gay sex. But if you don't like premise of the game...god I hate to use this line...but don't play it?

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
Junior Boy said:
Good post, virgin.

Dragon Age's premise is that you're a Grey Warden.
Dragon's Age premise sucks. When part of the game sucks that part is usually criticised.

Hamenaglar

Novice
Hamster said:
Junior Boy said:
Good post, virgin.

Dragon's Age premise sucks. When part of the game sucks that part is usually criticised.

Such an argumented and well stated claim. Now, finally I realize that DAO's premise sucks, there is no way anybody could rebute the points you raised.

I hate DAO just as much as the next guy, but that post is really shit.

CrimHead

Scholar
Volourn said:
"Dragon Age still regressed from the expected qualities of CRPG's from, say... 10 years ago."

Fuckin' bullshit.

"(there are no consequences)... "

Why do you need to fuck flat out lie FFS?

Seriously, the fact you feel the need to flat out shows you are ignorant and don't know what you are talking about.

I admit it. I am lying to you.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Hamenaglar said:
Hamster said:
Junior Boy said:
Good post, virgin.

Such an argumented and well stated claim. Now, finally I realize that DAO's premise sucks, there is no way anybody could rebute the points you raised.

You forgot to complement your post with a retarded "but you cannot stay in the vault in Fallout" example.

Hamenaglar

Novice
Hamster said:
Hamenaglar said:
Hamster said:
Junior Boy said:
Good post, virgin.

You forgot to complement your post with a retarded "but you cannot stay in the vault in Fallout" example.

Why in earth would I say that?

Astaroth

Educated
Hamenaglar said:
Hamster said:
Junior Boy said:
Good post, virgin.

Sad generalization, really. Many here DO NOT hate DAO. Including me. I just don't think it was worth the hype.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Dragon's Age premise sucks."

Beats The Shitter's premise of being a generic lame monster huntyer with fuckin' amnesia. Though, that isn't an impressive feat.

R00fles!

CrimHead

Scholar
A fallen God with an army of corrupt humans at his disposal...

10131489.jpeg

Sounds familiar... But Ijust can't place it.

@Junior Boy: People don't harp on Fallout's premise because it's original. People don't harp on Arcanum's premise because it's original. People don't harp on Planescape Troment's premise because it's original (not the whole amnesiac shtick--that was just a means to an end, a way in which to convey a greater theme)

Here, let me give you an example of how Dragon Age's premise sucks.

An ancient evil threatens the world as you know it. You must join an elite squad of individuals and help four groups of people before confronting your enemy.

Am I talking about Mass Effect or Dragon Age? So not only is Dragon age cliche'd in the larger fantasy sense, but it's cliched Bioware. Even worse.

Seen it before. Nothin' special.

Bullshit. Lies. I know I know.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Fallout's premise because it's original. People don't harp on Arcanum's premise because it's original. People don't harp on Planescape Troment's premise because it's original "

No. No. No. None of those are original.

Junior Boy

Educated
CrimHead said:
@Junior Boy: People don't harp on Fallout's premise because it's original. People don't harp on Arcanum's premise because it's original. People don't harp on Planescape Troment's premise because it's original (not the whole amnesiac shtick--that was just a means to an end, a way in which to convey a greater theme)

An ancient evil threatens the world as you know it. You must join an elite squad of individuals and help four groups of people before confronting your enemy.

Am I talking about Mass Effect or Dragon Age? So not only is Dragon age cliche'd in the larger fantasy sense, but it's cliched Bioware. Even worse.

My beef is with people who bemoan not being able to choose whether they want to be a Grey Warden or not. No matter how original Fallout's premise is, you have no choice in who you are and what your mission is. Does that make it a bad game? No, I love FO. I'm just saying, the whole "I DIDN'T CHOOSE TO BE A GRET WARDEN" complaint is...beyond retarded.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Junior Boy said:
CrimHead said:

My beef is with people who bemoan not being able to choose whether they want to be a Grey Warden or not. No matter how original Fallout's premise is, you have no choice in who you are and what your mission is. Does that make it a bad game? No, I love FO. I'm just saying, the whole "I DIDN'T CHOOSE TO BE A GRET WARDEN" complaint is...beyond retarded.

Bioware knew well enough that they are not prepared to give player a choice and are making a mostly linear game. Knowing that, they should have avoided puting player in a situation when he will desperately want a choice. You should only attempt something like this if you are sure you have a really great story to tell.

CrimHead

Scholar
Volourn said:
"Fallout's premise because it's original. People don't harp on Arcanum's premise because it's original. People don't harp on Planescape Troment's premise because it's original "

No. No. No. None of those are original.

Why do you lie?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom