Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Dragon Age preview at CVG

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Sure, that's one of the fundamentals of good writing...but not necessarily good videogame design. Why do you assume it applies equally here? What generic conditions do you think apply in game design (particularly RPG design) that make this true?"

I'd say it's more advantageous to games than it is for books. Why? Because, books are 100% words while with games you can use 'actors' as well as written dialogue to put forth the story.

'and she smiled ast you flirtiously'

The above, to me, has a lot more emaning to me if I *see* it as opposed to just reading it.

I dunno; but if a beautiful woman (lol, not gonna hapened) smiled at me flirteously I'd rather see it then told that she did.

This is why BL has some of the best atmosphere EVER in the game. Hopefully, ME takes it even to newer levels.

It also saves the prime dialogue words for other important things too.

R00fles!

taxacaria

Scholar
Admiral jimbob said:
'and she smiled ast you flirtiously'

The above, to me, has a lot more emaning to me if I *see* it as opposed to just reading it.

Yes, dear, that's because it gives you an erection.

Well, everyone has his own reasons for playing computer games.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Yes, dear, that's because it gives you an erection."

Nah. That's what the Codex is for.

kris

Arcane
Volourn said:
"Overall RPGs been shorter and shorter over the years."

This simply isn't true. The average CRPG is getting longer.

I did not play all RPGs back in the day, but the ones I played took considerably longer time than most new ones including Baldurs gate 2. Hillsfar, Curse of the Azure bonds, etc. that I currently wouldn't like their content that much anymore is another thing.

Ryuken

Liturgist
Volourn said:
The sterotypical party is 4. And, in DA there are only 3 main classes, so you relaly don't need bigger.
BS, more partymembers = better, especially for a game that wants to mimick a BG-feel. If DA really would have only three classes without diversification as you suggest (and which is denied in the preview even), then the game would be a faillure.

This simply isn't true. The average CRPG is getting longer. JE is the exmeption to the rule, and even then some people like to exaggerate ie. lie about iots length. Just like BG2 was an exception to the rule when it came length nor was it the mythical 200+ hours that people bullshit about.
Bloodlines barely exceeded the 30 hours mark, KotOR(2), NWN(2) all easily less than 60 hours, and that's without rushing or only going for the story quests of course. BG2 easily provided 150+ hours. Length is in the end maybe not that such a big issue, as long as a new (shorter) game is much, much better in all aspects. If we're talking about postBG2-Bioware-titles, they simply pale in comparison to BG2, facial expressions or not. They were shorter, not so epic at all and less fun overall imo. It might be intentional like that, since they weren't called BGIII. Reading the things "we already know" of DA though, it seems it's going the same way again I am afraid.

Lumpy

Arcane
More partymembers = more party jack-of-all-tradism. What's the point of having classes anyway when any party will be able to fight well, cast magic, steal, disarm traps, etc.?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"BG2 easily provided 150+ hours."

Balony.

"more partymembers = better, "

No. If any game allows you to have 20 joinables, that game woudl likely suck.

"but the ones I played took considerably longer time than most new ones including Baldurs gate 2. Hillsfar, Curse of the Azure bonds,"

L0L You are making this stuff up. Most older games weren't as long as some people try to conviently 'remember' them to be.

aries202

Erudite
In a thread on the bioware dragon age forum,
(found here)

http://forums.bioware.com/forums/viewto ... um=84&sp=0

there is vivid discussion about this.

I think it also is in this thread (or maybe it is another tread) at his forum it is mentioned that
if if you start Dragon Age as Dwarf Noble character, you would start in Dwarf City.

And the some shadow from the pat will come nack to hunt you all throghout the game. If Bioware can do this, then Dragon Age looks really promising.

In the same thread it is also mentioned that
there will be no healing magic, no healings scrolls, no healing potions, and that resurrection is very rare. In other words, people are probably dead when they are dead.

To me, this sounds promising, challenging and
quite the opposite of what is happening in other games, both rpgs and action games right now.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
Lumpy said:
More partymembers = more party jack-of-all-tradism. What's the point of having classes anyway when any party will be able to fight well, cast magic, steal, disarm traps, etc.?

You lack imagination my friend. Sure, you can pick two melee guys, a thief, a hybrid fighter and two magicians. OTOH, you've never went magic heavy with a party? Melee Heavy? Stealthy group? I've always liked to go light on magic in party based RPGs myself. I highly recommend Wizardry 7 or 8 to you if you really think this way.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"there will be no healing magic, no healings scrolls, no healing potions, and that resurrection is very rare. In other words, people are probably dead when they are dead."

Except, IIRC, they ar edoing the silly 'unless your entire party is wiped out the characters that reach 0hp is only unconcious'.

We all saw how that worked out in KOTOR, and epsicially in NWN2 which manged to fubar it even worse. :roll:

R00fles!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
If the player dies, he's dead. Better reload.

If an npc 'dies' (falls unconcious), they respawn after the battle (if the player wins the fight).

But, npcs in JE are not really worthwhile battle. They're fighting is basiclaly them faking it or they can boost certain stats or abilities in support mood. One even gives you a whole new combat style when he's in support (which is always for him).

JE is definitely a single character game in combat (though the characters are exactly like other BIO game characetrs - good or bad depending on viewpoint).

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Not really. In KOTOR, if the main character goes unconcious (reaches 0hp), the game stilkl contiues.

In JE, if the main character reaches 0 hp, he's dead even if the companion is alive.

Kinda like BG except companions are under KOTOR rules. The PC is under the more traditional 0hp = death rules.

kris

Arcane
Volourn said:
"but the ones I played took considerably longer time than most new ones including Baldurs gate 2. Hillsfar, Curse of the Azure bonds,"

L0L You are making this stuff up. Most older games weren't as long as some people try to conviently 'remember' them to be.

Nope, I played "Curse" over the course of 3 weeks, including some 20 hour day. Buck Rodgers more than a week at least. Thats the only ones I can tell for sure though. I don't go by nostalgy, for in general most of those older games was not that good otherwise, but longer they where.

MountainWest

Scholar
aries202 said:
In a thread on the bioware dragon age forum,
(found here) there is vivid discussion about this.

Apparently DA will be a rape simulator. http://forums.bioware.com/forums/viewto ... um=84&sp=0

God damn sickos! Summary:

TFTVangurd said:
Rape and torture... perfectly reasonable... I want to... grab David Gaider's naughty bits, making them into balloons, and then burst them with a riveting gun.

gromnirs ghost said:
HA! Good Fun!

TFTVangurd said:
thank you.

Randalish said:
As it happens, I... rape... women until Dany puts a stop to it

TFVanguard said:
That's not inherently a bad thing

Randalish said:
The majority of my friends... rape... people.

TFVanguard said:
rape is just something everyday women have to deal with...

Stanley Woo said:
lollipops

TFVanguard said:
Most people have to have something to root... such as... the wife... or a family... a gang... orcs.. something... just to keep you going.

Randalish said:

TFVanguard said:
Hopefully.. He's a nice guy.

Dany? said:
If you do it right I will defiantly enjoy it.

David Gaider said:
That... inspires me.

TFVanguard said:
I've certainly got the talent

David Gaider said:
That's... true. You can... please everyone.

Sheryl Chee said:

David Gaider said:
rape... an overt theme of rape in the game... child slavery...To me, that's the best part

gromnir's ghost said:
HA! Good Fun!

Dennis PC said:
I want kids'

Gecon said:
true...and...necro

Sheryl Chee said:
I see. Well, not to worry... in DA... Some of them are driven... to do... you

David Gaider said:
there is indeed rape... it is... depicted

devsin said:
I'm intrigued

Harhuge said:
I'm a long time... stalker... and...I... glorify rape

LdyShayna said:
rape, child murder/soul enslavement... torture, death... mutilation of friends

gromnir's ghost said:
HA! Good Fun!

David Gaider said:
Man, do I...want to talk about... rape

Lightzy said:
rape that... chicken

the-expatriate said:
I just can't resist... it

Thirdpres said:
Dragon Age... Now!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"lollipops"

Oh dear! Even devs are stealing my lame lines! It's not just the Codex that is full of thieves!

suibhne

Erudite
Volourn said:
"lollipops"

Oh dear! Even devs are stealing my lame lines! It's not just the Codex that is full of thieves!

I always thought you and Gaider had something special.

Dgaider

Liturgist
Developer
MountainWest said:
God damn sickos! Summary:
Okay, even I have to admit that was pretty funny. :lol:
suibhne said:
I always thought you and Gaider had something special.
Oh, please. The only thing that Volourn could inspire me to use is a restraining order.

dagorkan

Arbiter
Lollipops is what Vollo thinks of while he's sucking on Mr Gaider's sock.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Mr. Gaider loathes me. As well he should considering the pms I've sent him.

"Lollipops is what Vollo thinks of while he's sucking on Mr Gaider's sock."

I think you should keep your owns exual fantasies to yourself or at least spam it in GD.

R00fles!

Dgaider

Liturgist
Developer
Volourn said:
Mr. Gaider loathes me. As well he should considering the pms I've sent him.
You've sent me PMS?

Like, in the mail? :?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom