Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Plot : Grey Warden

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Anyone felt that Bioware went overboard with this one? After finishing the game once, I realized Gaider placed too much importance on Grey Warden, right from their creation up till their deaths and how to carry out their duty.

Facts:
1. Grey Warden's Creation
Drinking darkspawn blood - ala Witcher's Mutagen. There's a chance of the candidate dying or succumbing to the taint. This is kept secret to prevent people from pussying out. I accept this reason somewhat, except that even if Alistair and your hero turned into Wardens, they didn't really change much.

In fact, compared to Mages, Grey Wardens are just fireball targets. Maybe it's a case of bad gameplay translation but I fail to see how Grey Wardens are 'improved' over their normal comrades.

2. Grey Warden's Limitations
They don't live past 40s since the taint will slowly overcome them. And they went to the Deep Roads to have a last glorious combat to the death when they get too old. OK. Sounds...like a device to keep The Grey Wardens recruiting. This is also kept secret. Sigh. Sensing a pattern here?

3. Grey Warden Function
OK so they're not much stronger, not as powerful as Mages, what makes them so useful against the darkspawn then? Finally near end game they gave the explanation:
When the Archdemon is defeated, a Grey Warden must be the one who struck the killing blow, sacrificing himself and thus killing it permanently. This is kept secret as well.

That is just terrible. I understand that Grey Warden is the central plot of the story, but to explicitly spell it out like that is just lame. So if Loghain actually succeeded in wiping out the Ferelden Grey Wardens faction, he probably doomed his own kingdom? Wtf. What a shitty villain.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
So yeah this sucks balls Bioware can't write for shit but I just realised that Loghain is voiced by Simon Templeman (Kain) which is fucking awesome. Fuck yeah voice acting

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Who the fuck did Tim Curry voice I thought he was loghain?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
The Joining: This ritual grants Grey Wardens several abilities: their link to the group mind allows them to detect the presence of darkspawn and they become immune to further corruption by the Blight. .

This NEVER comes into play in the game except for the part when you get stronger, the darkspawns will ambush you when in camp ONCE.

Dear Bioware,
1. if Alistair/Main Hero can sense darkspawns, then why the fuck doesn't it appear on the radar/behind doors?

2. If they become immune to further corruption by the Blight, then why isn't the rest of the party at risk?

Ch1ef

Scholar
Hamster said:
Yes, all this Grey Warden buisness sucks ass.
Haha.

FUCKIN HYPOCRITES, HYPOCRITES EVERYWHERE !!! :paranoia:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Loghain's big thing, was that he did NOT want the Orlesians to join them in their battle with the Darkspawn (as Cailen wanted).

He also did not believe if was a true blight, as there were no sightings of the Arch-Demon.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
RK47 said:
Dear Bioware,
1. if Alistair/Main Hero can sense darkspawns, then why the fuck doesn't it appear on the radar/behind doors?

Add to that that 90% of all darkspawn encounters are ambushes.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
Also, just a note: Bio and other devs, adding random dinosaurs does not in fact vastly improve the setting of your game.

Norfleet

RK47 said:
2. Grey Warden's Limitations
They don't live past 40s since the taint will slowly overcome them. And they went to the Deep Roads to have a last glorious combat to the death when they get too old. OK. Sounds...like a device to keep The Grey Wardens recruiting. This is also kept secret. Sigh. Sensing a pattern here?
I wouldn't say this is really a recruitment device. 40ish is really practically retirement age for a warrior, even in today, let alone in a medieval setting. Any warrior still involved in combat at that age is operating as a commander rather than a front-line fighter.

RK47 said:
That is just terrible. I understand that Grey Warden is the central plot of the story, but to explicitly spell it out like that is just lame. So if Loghain actually succeeded in wiping out the Ferelden Grey Wardens faction, he probably doomed his own kingdom? Wtf. What a shitty villain.
Yeah, but they kept it a big SECRET, so no one told him WHY they were important, evidently.

RK47 said:
Dear Bioware,
This never appears, PERIOD. There are Darkspawn "rogues" that can turn invisible before attacking you. Guess what? You are completely incapable of detecting them before they attack you! So much for the "sense darkspawns". In theory, it is supposed to work in reverse, that they can detect YOU, too. In this regard, it is not necessarily even an ADVANTAGE to be able to sense them.

RK47 said:
2. If they become immune to further corruption by the Blight, then why isn't the rest of the party at risk?
For that matter, we never see anyone becoming corrupted by the Blight. At least, I haven't. There are critters which are SUPPOSED to be the results of corruption by the blight, but at no point do we ever see this HAPPEN. It's like a zombie apocalypse where no one actually is ever seen turning into a zombie: Everyone is either a zombie from the beginning, or not-a-zombie and remains so.

Multi-headed Cow

Norfleet said:
In theory, it is supposed to work in reverse, that they can detect YOU, too.
They mention that, but it's obviously bullshit. The archdemon lands like 50 feet away from your party in the deep roads during that cutscene and doesn't give a shit. Either it's A Plote Pointe that the darkspawn/warden sensing is bullshit and will be explained in Dragon Age Middlings, or much more likely Bioware forgot their own stupid lore.

Allistair specifically makes a big deal out of those abilities in the beginning. Like when he's reassuring those other recruits.

"I can sense the Darkspawn. They won't be sneaking up on us."

Before you leave the Wilds, you'll get ambushed about 3 times by groups of Darkspawn Rogues. The first probably a few minutes after this quote.

Heck, he mentions this sensory ability is how Duncan knew there was actually a Blight coming, and that older Warden's were far more in tune with it.

Twinkle

Liturgist
Funny. Newbie Grey Wardens are exxtreme enough to slay the freaking archdemon but can't do a shit about ambushing dorkspawn.

"I can sense the Darkspawn. They won't be sneaking up on us."

Lame attempt to calm recruits. Later he mentions that GW noobz can't sense dorkspawn.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
WOW HOW ABOUT YOU SUCK MORE XBAWKS COCKS YOU UFKNOSIEBHFR RETUIAFK;B ASB!!!!!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Grey Wardens are awesome. And, oh, actually when your PC becomes a GW, you get bonus stats points and a free talent to choose. This occurs a couple times during the game as you progress the story. Faggot.

The darkspawn sensing thing should ahve been better developed. I agree with that. I also think they should have added a Grey Warden Specialiation as well. I'm surprised they didn't.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
GREY WARDENS ARE SHITHEADS IN A SHITHEAD GAME THAT MAKES THAEM DOUBLE SHITHEADFS PWONED!!>>!>!

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Volourn said:
Grey Wardens are awesome. And, oh, actually when your PC becomes a GW, you get bonus stats points and a free talent to choose. This occurs a couple times during the game as you progress the story. Faggot.

The darkspawn sensing thing should ahve been better developed. I agree with that. I also think they should have added a Grey Warden Specialiation as well. I'm surprised they didn't.

:lol: r00fles

Drakron

Arcane
Norfleet said:
For that matter, we never see anyone becoming corrupted by the Blight. At least, I haven't.

Dalish Elf Origin.

Well you dont see it per say on the origin but in a random encounter later if you have that Origin.

Also even if we dont see people being corrupted per say you do see blighted creatures and I take you know what a Brood Mother actually is.

Granted the immunity to the blight is simply storyline and does not have actual mechanics on it, only 3/4 companions are immune (Shale, Dog and Alistair/Loghain) with the other 6 having none but I think its one of those things that simply add a layer of complexity for not much gain, they actually dropped the addiction mechanic of Lyrium potions that might have keep mages more in check (and making playing one annoying as fuck).

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Am I the only one that saw:

Darkspawn kill and attack people. The people they kill then get dragged off to become more Darkspawn... rinse, repeat.

Drakron

Arcane
Not exactly, the ones that survive and are dragged might became Darkspawn themselves ... they are not making undead.

But the majority of Darkspawn is born from Brood Mothers and Brood Mothers are not born, they are made.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Drakron said:
But the majority of Darkspawn is born from Brood Mothers and Brood Mothers are not born, they are made.

ok I may have missed that point. It seemed more that bodies killed in a Darkspawn fight are then dragged back down to make More.

THUS... priority ONE, DONT let them take the bodies.

Along with Wardens going to the Deep Halls.. which in turn make MORE Dark Spawn.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO IT IS LIKE ARUGING WEATHER IT IS BETTER TO EAT PISS OR DRINK SHIT DA SUCKS AND IS FOR FAGS

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom