Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age - New patch released

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
It's the Pretty Princess, what do you expect?

Also VD - the only long segment in BL is the sewers and there you can sneak past many of the monsters if you play a thief character and even if you are more social or fighter type, killing them isn't exactly an extended process for your patience.

Haunted Hotel? 10 minutes tops. Grout's mansion? ~30 mins but you get to hear about his experiments while you explore the puzzles which is awesome. The end fights in the Chinese temple and the skycraper are easily ran through because you are so powerful at that time. The caverns under the monastery? Short. Ship and museum? Short.

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
Dnny said:
Many of the fixes affecting balance, gameplay, or plot scripting are already included in the Xbox 360 and PlayStation®3 versions of Dragon Age: Origins.

THIS IS THE NEW SHIT

No wonder DA is a piece of shit, it's a console game first and a pc game second.

Nah the console version is worse. You cant even order movement when paused. I would say the console version is harder though.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Nah the console version is worse. You cant even order movement when paused. I would say the console version is harder though."

At least the console has a better codex. And, not as buggy.

"you best be joking"

Nope. And, I like Arcanum. Hell, i've defended here on the Codex before. *shrug* But, it is not as good as DA. Basically no mmeorable characters, I can't remember any actual dialogue from the game, and no quests really stand out as 'OMFG That's awesome!"

What ARC does well is C&C. That's it. Everything else is adequate. Except the main theme song. fUCKIN' AWESOME.

BL is ana wesome game, but having one of the worst combat systems fuckin' evar brings it down a lot. Story/writing/character wise it's definitely equal with DA, imo, but combat is the pits and since it involves A LOT of combat, that hurts it.

The Wizard

Educated
GarfunkeL said:
It's the Pretty Princess, what do you expect?
yes, i should know better, but sometimes, sometimes...

"Story/writing/character wise it's definitely equal with DA"
why are you such a horrible person, volourn? why!?

J1M

Arcane
Volourn said:
In practice they are both elite groups of warriors that operate above the law."

GW are police officers. They *are* the law.
Wasn't expecting you to agree so easily. :smug:

1eyedking

Erudite
Twinkle said:
I can't remember a single quest in DA that can be solved with sneaking due to scripted nature of the encounters and lots of boss fights.
It's the new shit best game since Arcanum.

I just recalled how enjoyable sneaking was in Bloodlines. I mean, getting in and out of apartments, hacking consoles, retrieving the briefcase in the underground car park, etc.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Sneaking is best realized in a game without stats (well, your own stats, starts for the guards are fine), like thief.

Thief 2 - how i love thee and your lovecraftian level editor that beautiful masochists use to make amazing sneaking pieces of art.

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
made said:
Some decent changes in there, though it makes you wonder how the shit could pass QA in the first place.

Still not enough to make me want to replay it, though.

QA I get. I wonder about focus groups. Level scaling doesn't seem to be that popular with anyone. Certainly much more hate than love.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
1eyedking said:
Vault Dweller said:
If you look at things from this perspective then no RPG has ever had any real choices and no RPG will. No matter what you do in Fallout the master dies and the super mutants threat is over. Teh world is safe once again. Well, at least until the sequel.
You can join the mutants; at two points in the game.

Haven't we been over this already? Alzheimer's kicking in, VD, you better check your medication's nearby.
I'm talking about the endings. The other options are as meaningful as quitting the game after your character dies in combat. From Per's excellent walkthrough:
http://user.tninet.se/~jyg699a/fallout.html#end

"You always get the first bit about the Master being killed, the vats destroyed and the mutant army driven east. After that you get the local endings..."

Vault Dweller said:
Let's take Bloodlines, since you've mentioned it and walk through it.

Hub #1:

Get the explosives from the beach house. You get several different ways, 0 consequences. You've always end up getting the explosives. Duh.
And what other kind of outcome do you expect?
It doesn't matter what I expected. My point is that here we have a quest with multiple ways to get the objective but no consequences and somehow it's alright - *gasp* - whereas in DA multiple solutions with different ending slides for consequences are a clear sign of decline and bad design.

Double standards?

Vault Dweller said:
Mercurio asks you to keep his incompetence a secret. You can do so and get an option to buy more guns from him later. If you tell on him, you will have to buy guns from other vendors a bit later or find them elsewhere. Decisions, decisions...
It's actually a pain in the ass to lose him as a vendor.
Because you said so? Prove it, explain why.

Vault Dweller said:
Then walk through a linear and LONG haunted hotel enjoying the scripted events. Did I mention it was long?
At least it was atmospheric and well suited. Dragon Age doesn't get anywhere near that. Want me to link Leliana's song?
Linearity is always bad. You're always forced to do this quest, and you're always forced to go through the entire sequence, which always kills replayability.

Vault Dweller said:
Then slash the paintings (optional): different ways to gain entrance, same outcome: slash the paintings, fight the guardian. Then go to the diner, get ambushed, kill the thugs, talk to the "sisters" and pick an option. The only difference between the options is that the hardest option gives you an extra skill point. Yay! Otherwise, there is no difference and no matter what you picked, your next step - the nosferatu - is unlocked.
Yes, it's linear as hell. But hey, you can sneak, you can kill, and you can talk. In DA you mostly kill or skip quests. I still don't see the latter being any better.
Can't sneak everywhere and sure as fuck can't talk everywhere, which makes diplomatic characters useless.

You also forgot about how different the game plays as a Nosferatu. And as a Malkavian, even if a little less. Now where did you leave those pills...
You get crazy dialogues as a Malkavian. A commendable writing effort and an interesting experience, but hardly "a different gameplay". Nosferatu use sewers a lot. Cute but kinda painful.

You say "sneak" as if it were something minor. Bloodlines is one of the very few games that actually makes being a thief worth it.
Sneak isn't a minor feature if it's done right.

As for conversational skills, the whole "ZOMG you can't talk your way of everything!!!1!" is one of the most moronic stances people have to cope with in these stupid forums just because their defenders do not realize that some quests can't be solved through combat alone, just as some quests can't be solved through talking alone. It's logical. It's what makes it worth having spent points in said skills.
No. It's not logical.

http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/in ... 231.0.html

"Q: Your gate example is amazingly awesome but there is a huge difference between passing through a gate that nobody cares about and dealing with bloodthirsty monsters that are completely immune to persuasion, charisma, and personal magnetism.

A: Let's use the Bloodlines' sewers as an example. The sewers are packed with monsters and are often used as a counter-argument in "RPG diplomacy" discussions, pointing out that you can't convince a bloodthirsty monster not to eat you. The sewers, however, aren't floating somewhere in the void, being completely removed and detached from anything. They are a part of the game world and thus could be easily affected by many different things. Flooding the sewers could be a nice and elegant solution, requiring a bit of knowledge (you'd have to research the sewers, find out about the flood controls and where they are) and engineering to operate them. Another great option would have been tipping the authorities about, let’s say, terrorists in the sewers. SWAT teams go in looking for terrorists, run into the monsters, and eventually kill them all. Needless to say, you'd have to be very persuasive to pull that off, and additionally you'd get a strike for breaking the Masquerade, but at least you'll be safe. And finally you should have been able to push on the local vampire clan running that town and persuade, force, or manipulate them into cleaning the sewers for you. You work for the Prince after all, so you might as well use that to your advantage.

So, as you can see, you don't have to deal with in-game problems by charging at them. Obviously, you can't negotiate with big-ass scorpions, but hey, maybe you can find some dynamite and blow up their cave. If you know what I'm talking about, nod in agreement. If not, go play Fallout."

Vault Dweller said:
Miles beyond, eh? Sounds awesome. I would surely like to learn more about it.
I don't have it installed at the time. I would have enjoyed quoting both games just for the dialogue quality, but sadly there's no wiki of "The Vault" proportions for Bloodlines. Maybe someone else who's replaying it now can serve a helping hand.
The BL dialogue is superb. No arguing here. Few games can compete with BL in this department. The rest, however, is a very, very mixed bag. Brilliance and god awful design mixed together.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=5807

Saint said:
The sewers aren't the only area I take exception with, though I probably hate them more than any other location in the game.

I really hate the Grout Mansion. It starts off great, but that fire bullshit at the end is freaking lame. What's even more annoying is that you have a choice between following the SET PATH out, or instantly dying. I have a Bru character with Celerity 5, and I can easily fly over most of those fires with that if given a ramp to start from or if the fire is below a slope. I soared over one such fire after taking a wrong turn, and having a full health bar and not touching the fire at all nor getting caught on fire, I got a FINAL DEATH message. That's pretty lame.

In fact, having those flamey gimps around is pretty lame, especially for melee and unarmed characters. Without Celerity, a melee or unarmed character has it incredibly rough in that area.

I hated the Society of Leopold. It's basically non-stop combat followed by a boss who, while human, has better POWAHZ than most vampires. Follow that with a YOU DIE timer, ugh.

The Fu Syndicate sucked. If you don't have a gun on you, you're pretty fucked there. Think I've already gone over that in another thread.

The Haunted House sucks. Great the first time, okay the second time.. The third time on, though, bleh. Been there, done that, really boring now.

The Giovanni Mansion sucks. It's nice they have options for speechy characters in the beginning. Too bad it degenerates in to SLOG THROUGH ZOMBIES. Oh, and it's too damned dark. I couldn't see through the lower sections, even with my brightness cranked all the way up. That's pretty stupid. If you're going to do experiments with zombies, you'd think you'd want the experimental area nice and well lit up. I guess pitch black is TEH SCAREE though. Then again, the Haunted House was scary the first time, and it was lit up.

Zhao's Warehouse is pretty lame, but then again, it's a SUPAH RESPAWN ZONE.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Vault Dweller said:
Then walk through a linear and LONG haunted hotel enjoying the scripted events. Did I mention it was long?
Did I mention it was very atmospheric and spooky? Also 10-15min is not LONG. This is not the Derp Roads.

Vault Dweller said:
Then slash the paintings (optional): different ways to gain entrance, same outcome: slash the paintings, fight the guardian. Then go to the diner, get ambushed, kill the thugs, talk to the "sisters" and pick an option. The only difference between the options is that the hardest option gives you an extra skill point. Yay! Otherwise, there is no difference and no matter what you picked, your next step - the nosferatu - is unlocked.
except you can unlock the nosferatu in a COMPLETELY different way, by doing the quest for the golden ghoul, and just ignore the malk chick!
can you ignore Arl Eamon? Or get the help of Bann Teagan instead?

Btw, you know what the difference is in Orzammar, whether you help Bhelen or Harrowmont? Easy: if you help Bhelen, you'll be attacked by Harrowmont fanatics. But if you help Harrowmont you'll be attacked by Bhelen fanatics instead. And if you doublecross Bhelen you have to retrieve the papers from the mafia boss chest, whereas if you doublecross Harrowmont you have to put the papers into the chest. Oh well. They really didn't put a lot of effort into making your choice of a faction feel unique.

Vault Dweller said:
Inspect the sarcophagus - one way to get on the ship, two ways to get close, same result, same consequences or lack thereof.
It has consequences if you kill someone, the prince is pissed and you might not get a new haven in downtown.

Vault Dweller said:
Find Grout - the FPS time! - fight your way through, then fight your way out. 0 variations, 0 consequences.
you go in, find out Grouts dead, and leave. You don't have to fight anyone.
Meanwhile you experience some voice acting & writing that is nothing short of exceptional. Grouts audio diary. Awesome.

Vault Dweller said:
Go to the museum - fight or sneak. 0 consequences.
0 consequences except the approval or disapproval by the prince.

Vault Dweller said:
Find the nosferatu lair in the sewers - the lowest point of the game where players start regretting investing into conversation skills. You fight a shitload of creatures, or run really fast or sneak until you get to the lair.
Yes I know, teh terrible warrens. Except you only have to fight exactly 2 creatures. Everything else can be avoided.
And you know what the awesome thing about BL is? If you don't kill all critters you're not losing anything. No XP, no loot. Nothing. In games like DA every peaceful solution has an aftertaste because you just wasted another opportunity to get a bit much needed coin or XP.

Vault Dweller said:
Side quests include but not limited to "kill some plague spreading vampire in a hotel", "kill another plague spreading vampire in the sewers", and finally "shoot a LOT of zombies in the face in some warehouse, followed by kill the final vampire culprit". Although you can talk to all of them, the only solution is to kill them all. Whether or not you kill them or ignore, the consequences are zero and the horrible plague doesn't affect the game at all.
well, the guys in the overalls that were standing around disappear. I guess they were fighting the good fight vs the plague by showing presence.

What about other sidequests?
Gargoyle removal service, can be handled in different ways and will have consequences because it might deny you Camarilla help if you pissed off Strauss.

Tails

Arbiter
Vault Dweller said:
I'm talking about the endings. The other options are as meaningful as quitting the game after your character dies in combat.
Player is able to decide to join (or not) Super Mutant so becoming one of them and betraying location to vault that is overtaken, what was showed perfectly in the specially made for that movie. So how it is meaningful like quitting game, maybe because we don't get slide-show what happened after? if yes, then it's a silly reason.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom