Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bloodlines impressions - teh indapendant opinion

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Bloodlines recipe: Take a good RPG (The Good), add a bad FPS (The Bad), add some questionable design decisions (The Ugly), mix, and release. Since Spazmo has already written everything that could be said about the game, I'll skip the basics:

The Good:

The role-playing, where it's present, is pretty good. There are many multiple solutions to quests, and you can really play the RPG part of the game in any manner you choose.

Quests, especially (or mostly) side quests, are well developed and rather interesting. There are no FedEx quests, and the FetchMe quests are optional. Usually you can take sides, make choices, and affect quests' outcomes, but sadly there are few consequences and the choices are often cosmetic. Still, it's better then nothing (read most other games), and when you add the multiple solutions dealio, it does motivate and encorage you to replay a game with different characters.

There are a lot of dialogue options: Persuasion, Intimidation, Seduction, Domination, and Dementation (the last 2 are Blood disciplines that work like Jedi Mind Trick). While some of these options are more useful than the others, it felt really great to play a game that offers such a variety. The dialogues are well written, and no review is complete until it mentions that the Malkavian dialogues are fucking priceless. You must play as a Malkavian once (may I recommend a female character? The outfits are great, especially the 69 Precinct one).

The sneaking works great too. While it doesn't reach the complexity of sneaking in Thief, it's implemeted well. Here you are also given a choice between a skill and a blood discipline that basically does the same thing but supports different characters who don't want to invest in Dex and Sneaking.

There are many combat options as well: Unarmed, Melee, Ranged, Magick (the Tremere way), and all kinda buffs that go with each choice.

NPCs are well developed and well presented. There are many interesting personalities, and the voice over is excellent.

The Bad:

That's where that FPS part kicks in. No, I know that you know that it was supposed to be a hybrid, but I think they took the FPS thing way too far. In the best traditions of FPS', you can't have more than one weapon in your inventory. Although cash is valuable, and there is some useful stuff that you can buy, you can't collect all the knives and guns, and sell them for some profit. Instead you look for some junk like car stereos, medical supplies, rings, and watches that are stackable and could be sold so you can buy some skill books, if you are an educated man, guns also known as boom-sticks, ammo, clothes aka armor, and melee weapons.

Every now and then, that great role-playing game I've just told you about stops and some crappy FPS with bad combat mechanics starts. I haven't played HL2, so I can't compare the combat parts yet, but unarmed and melee are very chaotic. You just cast some buffs, swing wildly, and hope that you hit something. As some other review mentioned, there is no grace in this combat. Comparing with games like Jedi Academy where combat is elegant, Bloodlines loses a lot of points here. I wanted to uninstall the damn thing twice when the game switched to the FPS mode, just because it sucks so much. The ranged combat worked better for me, as there is less chaos there, and with some practice, wisely invested points, and some good hardware, the game gets less painful.

The FPS part of the game features timers, escapes from burning buildings, mazes, deadly lasers, and jump puzzles. Oh, teh fun!

The Ugly

The game is incredibly, incredibly linear. One quest follows another, and there is no way to break the sequence. To ensure your cooperation in that matter, the game features locks that no lockpick skill can handle, computers that can't be hacked (system error), doors that could be opened only after the monster responsible for that door is slain, ghost-like locations that appear on your map out of nowhere and disappear after you visited them (too bad if somebody wants something from one of those locations after you've been to one - it's gone now), and quests objectives that couldn't be completed until a quest is given (an item won't appear or be accessible until you are told to get it, you can't talk your way in, if you aren't told to go in, etc).

The game is so linear, that even when you want to switch sides, it tells you "Ah, ok, well, you do whatever you've been doing, but now you are undarcovar! like a secret agent or something." You are given a choice to pick an ending at the end, KOTOR or Deus Ex style, so like I mentioned before, while the game has choices, it doesn't have consequences.

So, on one hand, we have that great replayability foundation, on the other hand, we have exactly the same stuff to do over and over again. Considering that some quests are long and "atmospheric" like that Haunted House, it really sucks to do them several times.

Like I said before, when the game becomes an FPS, your conversation skills are useless. You can't talk your way through, you can't ask somebody to help you, etc. You *must* fight. Some people have argued that it's a vampire game, and zombies and flesh monsters aren't known for being open minded about things, but, as Saint noted, there are other way to affect the situation, like talking to other parties to deal with the sewer situation, for example. That would have added a lot to the game, and worked well with diplomatic characters.

The last but not least is the respawning thing. In some FPS areas, the monsters respawn. Sometimes even behind your back. You killed something, move on, but ..."hey, what's the fuck! Where did *you* come from?" Considering that combat sucks, and the end game guys are deadly, it's just not fun. Period.

Overall

And in conclusion, the RPG part is great despite the linearity. Very enjoyable experience. The FPS part sucks. It's not that it's that bad, but if I wanted to play a fucking FPS, I would have bought HL2. Duh!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
I got the game 30 minutes ago. I cna't play yet due to Evil Slave Boss making me work today.. Haven't decied what character I'll play but most likely the type of character I tend to play which is a charismatic leader type who can fight if need be. No ugly asshole like me in real life and no pussies either.

When I actually play it; I'll either call you stupid or a genius depending if I agree with your review. :D

Vault Dweller

Developer
Volourn said:
When i actyally play it; i'll either call you stupid or a genius depending if I agree with your review. :D
Goes without saying. I knew the risks when I wrote it :lol:

Mendoza

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
You are given a choice to pick an ending at the end, KOTOR or Deus Ex style, so like I mentioned before, while the game has choices, it doesn't have consequences.

SPOILERS

Either way, the end game amounts to 'kill all the Kuei Jin', 'kill all of LaCroix's dudes' or 'kill all the Kuei Jin then kill all of LaCroix's dudes'. So there's only 2 actual endgame sections.

suibhne

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
You are given a choice to pick an ending at the end, KOTOR or Deus Ex style, so like I mentioned before, while the game has choices, it doesn't have consequences.

Which is a real pain in the ass. That model of endgame choices needs to be excised from game development forever.

Exactly as in KotOR, you don't make your choice of allegiance until right before the game's most punishingly frustrating level(s) - which means that the endings are so superficial that you can fairly easily reload and try each one, but to do so you'll need to repeatedly slog through the worst level(s) of the entire game.

Vault Dweller

Developer
suibhne said:
Which is a real pain in the ass. That model of endgame choices needs to be excised from game development forever.
No arguing here. That's the part that surprised me the most in BL.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Vault Dweller said:
Although cash is valuable, and there is some useful stuff that you can buy, you can't collect all the knives and guns, and sell them for some profit.

Well, there's a lot of lameness surrounding weapons on top of the ONLY ONE PER ITEM crap.. For example, melee weapons, you have; knife, baton, axe, sword, tire iron, baseball bat, and that lame severed arm. There's several locations where enemies have those weapons, but they won't drop them because you haven't reached the area where those are dropped yet. So, you're pretty limited, yet the game has more weapons than that. There's the claws the Grout gimps have and the sword that the Sheriff carries that you can't get EVER.

Oh well.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Saint_Proverbius said:
There's several locations where enemies have those weapons, but they won't drop them because you haven't reached the area where those are dropped yet.
True dat. That was very annoying. It's kinda stupid that you have to wait for the next hub to get new clothes and better weapons. On top of that, when you find ammo boxes, they only give you ammo for the weapons you have. You can't possibly find or buy ammo for a gun you don't have yet.

Indeed.

baelstren

Educated
Patron
Insert Title Here
Saint_Proverbius said:
Vault Dweller said:
Although cash is valuable, and there is some useful stuff that you can buy, you can't collect all the knives and guns, and sell them for some profit.

Well, there's a lot of lameness surrounding weapons on top of the ONLY ONE PER ITEM crap.. For example, melee weapons, you have; knife, baton, axe, sword, tire iron, baseball bat, and that lame severed arm. There's several locations where enemies have those weapons, but they won't drop them because you haven't reached the area where those are dropped yet. So, you're pretty limited, yet the game has more weapons than that. There's the claws the Grout gimps have and the sword that the Sheriff carries that you can't get EVER.

Oh well.

There is also a need for lootable clothing (on a large scale), even though that would increase the complexity of models/skins. Said clothing would affect NPC "reaction". Or perhaps clothing is lootable and I haven't gotten far enough in the game (with the horde of games released in the past month) :D .

FrankHorrigan

Liturgist
Pretty accurate review, without repeating whats already been said, i thought V:TMB was a good game, the characters where excellent, the voice acting was superb, the story was good but i felt when it came to the rest, Deus Ex 1 done it all better long ago and i was expecting Troika to raise the bar somewhat when really in regard's to everything else in the game i didnt mention, they actualy let the bar drop a bit.

rob

Novice
closer to the north pole thant to my hometown
Indeed the linearity is my biggest problem so far (going to the museum now),
the world feels so constricted that I am almost missing the shallow wandering of morrowind (the heresy). I am enjoing it but the feeling of being carried by hand is too strong. And also I do not feel I am having any impact on the wolrd. Maybe one of the problem is that I approached the game expecting something similar to arcanum. If I was expecting a first person sacred with a tight story this would be the game of my life. The fact that is defined as an ACTION rpg is correct, in this view is fun (I like the combat so far) and quite deep, as rpg is well behind the classics, that sadly are becoming the ancient classics.
but is good game all in all.

Jinxed

Liturgist
Saint_Proverbius said:

Oh well.
You forgot the torch, that weird sickle thing, sledge hammer and the only "unique" weapon in the game, which is another sword of some type which is supposed to be faster. I'm not exactly sure what the torch is for, except loosing FPS. You can't set anyone on fire with it.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
I guess the reason I am liking the game so much is due to the fact that up until the release of the game, I had refrained from reading much about it.

I knew it was a Masquerade game (which really didn't thrill me and actually one of the things that made me feel I would not enjoy the game :P), I knew it was going to be a third/first person RPG (which I always causes me to have reservations as third person RPGs just don't appeal to me that much), and I knew it was being done by Troika.

Other than that though, I only knew what I caught in small doses here and there. Like the jiggletech thing and so forth. I refused to read anything else about it, just as I did with Sid Meier's Pirates remake and Halflife 2. I'm tired of hype and therefore have refrained myself from reading too much into games lately. I find my experience with said games more enjoyable because I'm not missing out on those great features that were promised but never delivered.

So, because I didn't give into the hype, I'm really enjoying this game, linearity and all. Sure, it has problems. But, as has been said time and time again, what game doesn't. While some of the gripes I have with the game might not get fixed ever, it will not stop me from enjoying the game. Even Daggerfall had it's problems and I consider it one of the greatest RPGs ever right up there with FO and Arcanum.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Daggerfall is definitely da bomb, that's for sure. As for BL, I didn't have any expectations, so my criticism is based only on the actual design.

Jinxed

Liturgist
I, on the other hand read myself to death. I really like the game despite the sewers. It's the one location I simply can't stand. Those fleshcrafted monsters were ok before, but in the sewers they get predictable, boring and it with their screaming attacks they annoy the shit out of me. Awful, boring shite location those serwers are. :( I can take on the sabbat and respawning swat men any day.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"I consider it one of the greatest RPGs ever right up there with FO and Arcanum."

That just proves you have no taste in games, and your so called opinions on Bl means just above shit.

I'd apologize for being rude; but apologies are for pussies.

Old Scratch

Liturgist
Volourn said:
"I consider it one of the greatest RPGs ever right up there with FO and Arcanum."

That just proves you have no taste in games, and your so called opinions on Bl means just above shit.

I'd apologize for being rude; but apologies are for pussies.

Coming from an EA sports whore, thats sounds like a compliment to me. JK Volourn.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Volourn said:

Everyone has a right to their own opinion. You hated Daggerfall, I loved it. So what? Doesn't mean I don't have taste, just means I don't have YOUR tastes and rather am my own unique individual with my own thoughts. Imagine that.

I would respond in kind to your insults, but I'm not going to because you're not worth it.

Next. :)

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"JK Volourn."

If you are just kididng why did you spam your "insult"? Only wussies insult someone and say 'just kididng'.

You a big poo poo head. j/k

R00fles!

"I would respond in kind to your insults, but I'm not going to because you're not worth it."

Maybe not this time, but next time. You always crack under pressure.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Jinxed said:
I, on the other hand read myself to death. I really like the game despite the sewers. It's the one location I simply can't stand. Those fleshcrafted monsters were ok before, but in the sewers they get predictable, boring and it with their screaming attacks they annoy the shit out of me. Awful, boring shite location those serwers are. :( I can take on the sabbat and respawning swat men any day.

The sewers aren't the only area I take exception with, though I probably hate them more than any other location in the game.

I really hate the Grout Mansion. It starts off great, but that fire bullshit at the end is freaking lame. What's even more annoying is that you have a choice between following the SET PATH out, or instantly dying. I have a Bru character with Celerity 5, and I can easily fly over most of those fires with that if given a ramp to start from or if the fire is below a slope. I soared over one such fire after taking a wrong turn, and having a full health bar and not touching the fire at all nor getting caught on fire, I got a FINAL DEATH message. That's pretty lame.

In fact, having those flamey gimps around is pretty lame, especially for melee and unarmed characters. Without Celerity, a melee or unarmed character has it incredibly rough in that area.

I hated the Society of Leopold. It's basically non-stop combat followed by a boss who, while human, has better POWAHZ than most vampires. Follow that with a YOU DIE timer, ugh.

The Fu Syndicate sucked. If you don't have a gun on you, you're pretty fucked there. Think I've already gone over that in another thread.

The Haunted House sucks. Great the first time, okay the second time.. The third time on, though, bleh. Been there, done that, really boring now.

The Giovanni Mansion sucks. It's nice they have options for speechy characters in the beginning. Too bad it degenerates in to SLOG THROUGH ZOMBIES. Oh, and it's too damned dark. I couldn't see through the lower sections, even with my brightness cranked all the way up. That's pretty stupid. If you're going to do experiments with zombies, you'd think you'd want the experimental area nice and well lit up. I guess pitch black is TEH SCAREE though. Then again, the Haunted House was scary the first time, and it was lit up.

Zhao's Warehouse is pretty lame, but then again, it's a SUPAH RESPAWN ZONE.

I haven't even gotten beyond the Society of Leopold yet, because I'm waiting for that patch so I don't have to console my way out of the thing. I've heard it gets much worse beyond that area.

Jinxed

Liturgist
Saint_Proverbius said:
I hated the Society of Leopold. It's basically non-stop combat followed by a boss who, while human, has better POWAHZ than most vampires. Follow that with a YOU DIE timer, ugh.
Unless you have high sneak skills. It's pretty much set up for a nosferatu to waltz through the entire area. Outside, inside and caves included. When I played the first time I was a more of a talkie character, so I tried to sneak. With half assed sneak I was forced to kill only a couple of bad guys inside, but that was also easy, some of them went down because I shot the explosives that they were running by.
Bach is TEH GRETAST VAMPAH HUNTOUR. In between loading locations there's a snipped about some of them exhibiting supernatural powaz. All of that added up, it pretty much doesn't bother me although it's not over the top ideas.

The Fu Syndicate sucked. If you don't have a gun on you, you're pretty fucked there. Think I've already gone over that in another thread.
And like I said in that thread you can get through that infamous spinning blade puzzle thing using a blunt weapon to smash the grates. I kinda like to keep the severed hand as a memento and it's a blunt weapon... I haven't tried using brawl but I will next time. Further on, you aquire a shotgun and a handful of shells that will allow you to get out. In that same thread a guy mentioned another alternative in the LAZER 'o death puzzle, I'm still at a loss on how to go through it. Thing is, you can run and jump and they won't be enough to kill you. Perhaps that's what he meant. Dunno.

The Giovanni Mansion sucks. It's nice they have options for speechy characters in the beginning. Too bad it degenerates in to SLOG THROUGH ZOMBIES. Oh, and it's too damned dark. I couldn't see through the lower sections, even with my brightness cranked all the way up. That's pretty stupid. If you're going to do experiments with zombies, you'd think you'd want the experimental area nice and well lit up. I guess pitch black is TEH SCAREE though. Then again, the Haunted House was scary the first time, and it was lit up.

The Giovanni mansion wasn't finished. If you look around there will be some weeping women in the bathroom, while another one doesn't have the textures. In one bedroom there's a hooker and a guy on the bed that's passed out. I might try to kill him, maybe he has a key or maybe that whole thing was something Troika didn't get to finish. Either way, Giovanni mansion is weak, although it's still a good example of how many ways you can do stuff. (except the zombie part)

Zhao's Warehouse is pretty lame, but then again, it's a SUPAH RESPAWN ZONE.
Actually it's not one of those, although it comes close. After the initial wave of bad guys some shutters open and a second wave appears, smoke 'em and after that the place is free. Still pretty lame though.

I haven't even gotten beyond the Society of Leopold yet, because I'm waiting for that patch so I don't have to console my way out of the thing. I've heard it gets much worse beyond that area.
Unfortunetly, there's not much interesting stuff to do after that yes.

Old Scratch

Liturgist
There aren't actually any infinite respawn zones in Bloodlines. I know because I'm a room clearing nut and won't move on till everything is quiet. They just come in waves of 2 and 3 which can make it seem that way. Still lame though.

The laser thing in the Fu Syndicate is easy. Just duck and walk right on through when the lasers are going up, celerity helps.

The Bach guy having nearly as much health as Xiao Ming did strike me as odd. Humans shouldn't be able to withstand 10 shots from a shotgun at close range and 20 rounds from a magnum under any circumstances (I'm not counting the times he put up his faith shield or whatever). They should have just given him a flame thrower or something, but cut back on his health. That way the battle may have been quicker, but equally perilous for the player.

All the extended dungeon hack areas could have been trimmed down or spread out more. Oh how I wish they would have done that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom