Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age: Inquisition Pre-Release Thread

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
So this Keep thing is basically going to make importing choices on a pirated copy impossible?

eremita

Savant
Now that the launch day of the game is approaching... the analysis time is near too!

xlf9g6.jpg
Alright, this image made me spit my coffee:D Did you made it? It's Great!

eremita

Savant
If that's actually true, I'll make sure to select "Let Varrick keep the red lyrium" option, even though in my playthrough I gave it to that autist Codexer dwarf. My sole mission in this game will be to kill off as many companions as possible.
Sounds like fun:roll:

Glaurung

Liberal's alt
Shitposter
So this Keep thing is basically going to make importing choices on a pirated copy impossible?
You basically need to be able to log into your Origin account from DAI, and if you have a world state set up in the Keep, it should implement the choices you made automatically. I had no problem creating and logging into an Origins account from DAO and DAII, as well as setting up a quick world state on the Keep website.

hell bovine

Arcane
Are people *actually* expecting any choice they make at all will make ANY difference?

Hello.... this is BioWare.
Not really, but that is not the only factor, which decides whether I have fun playing a game. I prefer playing evil characters, so if there is a chance for a bit of well done evil in the vast see of heroicness flooding the market nowadays, I'll give it a try. Though the times of perfection like Dungeon Keeper are sadly long gone, I think...

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
BIO RPGs have more C&C than most other RPGs. This is FACT. A game doesn't have to be Fallout.

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected
BIO RPGs have more C&C than most other RPGs. This is FACT. A game doesn't have to be Fallout.

Unfortunately true.

Most games today do not have so much reactivity. It's just that the bioware reactivity is strictly shallow, where it does not really make any discernible long-term changes. Can you give examples where there was non-cosmetic C&C involved?

Sammael7

Literate

You may not be able to pirate a copy at all. DA:I is reported to have that new denuvo drm, which has yet to be cracked on fifa 15 (a couple months old) or lords of the fallen.

Seems like half the people here said they refused to buy the new dragon age and would only pirate. I kind of hope the drm holds so people either have to buy it or stay sneering on the sidelines feeling superior.

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected
It's just that the bioware reactivity is strictly shallow [...] Can you give examples where there was non-cosmetic C&C involved?

If Dragon Age: Origins C&C like the different outcomes to the Arl of Redcliffe questline is "shallow" and "cosmetic", can you give examples of games with non-shallow/cosmetic C&C?

Refer: Dragon Age: Choices & Consequences

Maybe Dragon age: origins has better C&C than most other post-BG2 bioware games. But as I already admitted, bioware games probably have the highest amount of C&C in games released in the last few years.

But there are good games out there with non-shallow C&C. There is Age of Decadence. There is wasteland 2.

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected
There is Age of Decadence. There is wasteland 2.

Those are the only games in existance with what you're talking about?

Note that the recounting of the impressive C&C in Origins is made by the author of Age of Decadence.
Well, yeah. The lack of games with non-shallow C&C is sad. I know Vince made AoD. Biggest fan etc.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I think AoD and possibly Wasteland 2 (haven't played it) are examples of games with massive amounts of C&C, because that's all they're about. However, terms are meaningless without context, and in the context of RPGs, Dragon Age: Origins has non-shallow, large amounts of C&C.

When you say "BioWare does C&C shallowly" what you really mean is "the Mass Effect series are a perfect example of numerically large amounts of C&C which is by and large illusory and meaningless."

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected
I think AoD and possibly Wasteland 2 (haven't played it) are examples of games with massive amounts of C&C, because that's all they're about. However, terms are meaningless without context, and in the context of RPGs, Dragon Age: Origins has non-shallow, large amounts of C&C.

When you say "BioWare does C&C shallowly" what you really mean is "the Mass Effect series are a perfect example of numerically large amounts of C&C which is by and large illusory and meaningless."

Why just ME series? DA2, NWN, KOTOR all have shallow C&C. DA:O admittedly is the only good example to the contrary. In that sense all the games post BG2 with the singular exception of Origins were bland in terms of C&C.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Why just ME series? DA2, NWN, KOTOR all have shallow C&C. DA:O admittedly is the only good example to the contrary. In that sense all the games post BG2 with the singular exception of Origins were bland in terms of C&C.

Sorry to shatter your childhood memories but the Baldur's Gate series has shallow C&C too

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Firstly, BG2 also had next to no C&C, secondly, none of the other games you name claimed to have that much C&C. KotOR series claimed to have systemic C&C, which it does. Only the Mass Effect series attempts the whole C&C thing and fails.

Fake edit: actually NWN has some examples of pretty cool C&C, but the game is shit, so who gives a fuck.

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected

Sorry to shatter your childhood memories but the Baldur's Gate series has shallow C&C too

Very nice, That just build a case against Bioware. Why is there any shattering involved I can not guess. I just haven't played BG series in a while.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
That just build a case against Bioware.

Does it build a case against the Goldbox series that it doesn't have C&C? You're not making much sense here. Games, like anything, are judged at what they try to do, succeed and fail at, not at what they don't even attempt.

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected

Does it build a case against the Goldbox series that it doesn't have C&C? You're not making much sense here. Games, like anything, are judged at what they try to do, succeed and fail at, not at what they don't even attempt.

Did you actually play goldbox games for the C&C? :D

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Did you actually play goldbox games for the C&C? :D

No, exactly. Just like I didn't play Baldur's Gate for the C&C.

Now you're getting it.

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
Goddamn I fell for the hype machine, now I want to play it. I hope the Russians are working at a crack.
Wait till they'll find decent mathematicians to help them.

From what I know, denuvo encrypts the data which makes cracking a chore. To crack it, you have to find decryption algorithm which is quite complicated.

I wonder why have they done this. If they wanted to appeal to DA:O audience(like the game was anything but mediocre), they wouldn't use denuvo, this audience would want to try the game before buying it because of previous disappointment. Wait... maybe they know it won't appeal to them!
Captain obvious etc. etc.

Yeah enabling pirates in the false hope they will buy your product eventually is really a solid reason for not using an encryption scheme. Software pirates should be inquisitioned until they die (horribly) from it (although dai is a borderline case).

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Now am I getting what?

:lol:

The GoldBox games aren't about C&C. Just like Baldur's Gate isn't about C&C. Neither of these games become worse because they don't have C&C. You haven't "build a case against BioWare," you've build a case against Mass Effect.

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected
:lol:

The GoldBox games aren't about C&C. Just like Baldur's Gate isn't about C&C. Neither of these games become worse because they don't have C&C. You haven't "build a case against BioWare," you've build a case against Mass Effect.

What are you on about? Did you even bother to see how this conversation started? Looks like you have got something to prove and you are doing that here. Good enough. Just leave me out of it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom