Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age: Inquisition Pre-Release Thread

Cadmus

Arcane
Haha fuck this shit, I ain't gonna play it. WoW bosses suck cocks anyway, the only good MMO bosses were in Lineage 2 because they required a hundred people. Fuck everything.

Lhynn

Arcane
Haha fuck this shit, I ain't gonna play it. WoW bosses suck cocks anyway, the only good MMO bosses were in Lineage 2 because they required a hundred people. Fuck everything.
Actually it was because they felt truly epic, you were fighting ancient creatures that made the whole world tremble. Antharas literally made the entire gameworld tremble when it was awoken, it took tons of peps doing a long and hard quest (for its level req) to be able to enter, and it had a respawn timer. Boss itself was fun to fight, it had fear attacks, it had adds that could fuck you over, and it took teamwork.

The amount of hp that thing had was insane, but the amount of ultra quality loot that you got could put an entire alliance months ahead, it truly felt like you brought something so much bigger than yourself down.

Truly, lineage 2 had the best sieges and the best raids out of any mmo.

Cadmus

Arcane
Actually it was because they felt truly epic, you were fighting ancient creatures that made the whole world tremble. Antharas literally made the entire gameworld tremble when it was awoken, it took tons of peps doing a long and hard quest (for its level req) to be able to enter, and it had a respawn timer. Boss itself was fun to fight, it had fear attacks, it had adds that could fuck you over, and it took teamwork.

The amount of hp that thing had was insane, but the amount of ultra quality loot that you got could put an entire alliance months ahead, it truly felt like you brought something so much bigger than yourself down.

Truly, lineage 2 had the best sieges and the best raids out of any mmo.
Yeah, meng. I remember when we first got to fight Antharas. It was on L2Azuregaming that 7x server. It was about 4am, about 110 people in our alliance, after the long PvP we finally won and got inside and had no idea how to properly fight. At 7am everybody started leaving to go to school/work and we lost, he started healing faster than our few storm screamers who remained could hurt it. WoW bosses look like a joke compared to it and everybody compares MMO boss fights to WoW and I think it's sad.

Lhynn

Arcane
WoW is objectively a bad game, it comes up in conversations about mmos because a lot of people play it, but when people talk about having played it for a long time it makes me think less of them.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tried out The Last Court, the text adventure game they have on the dragonagekeep.com site and they actually have micro-transactions and limit the number of actions you can take. You have 20 moves and then you have to wait for your moves to refill. I would say that I shook my head at this move, but nothing surprises me anymore.

Echo Mirage

Arcane
This Dragon age keep thing doesn't make much sense to me. Some of the options for what happened in the games seem to default as having the worst of most possible events happen. Also giving you options that I don't think were even possible in the games.

Aveline didn't get married (not sure if thats possible) Flemath gave you her tome without a fight. Fenris staying alive without me skinning him alive and throwing him down a salt mine.

Also the god baby is wrote out as default as well. No tome, no nothing for Morrigan.

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
I don't know anything about the Arishok but the Demon Red Rock Wraith even had phases and 'don't stand here' zones. Would make WoW proud.

This is pretty much the ultimate decline, and you know they're going to keep doing the same shit. They did the same thing in the legacy DLC. These bullshit bosses that have a timer on how long they take damage or do action x before using attack y and they do it so predictably that you just stand out of the way and run around. It dumbs things down to an unbelievable level. The best thing about fighting Kangaxx or Irenicus (especially improved) is that they use your tactics against you.

Mystary!

Arcane
I gave up on nightmare in DAII after seeing the floating damage numbers, 1 1 1 1 1 1 1... Killing one trash mob took like 5 minutes, and there's like 10 per wave.... The only thing being challenged is your patience.

This Dragon age keep thing doesn't make much sense to me. Some of the options for what happened in the games seem to default as having the worst of most possible events happen. Also giving you options that I don't think were even possible in the games.
Well that is sort of the point. If the best outcomes were default noone would bother using the keep, and their fans would feel cheated, like their efforts were for naught...

Last edited:

Strayed

Educated
Southern Hemisphere's Canada (New Zealand)
Well that is sort of the point. If the best outcomes were default noone would bother using the keep, and their fans would feel cheated, like their efforts were for naught...[/QUOTE]

You'd think the fans would feel cheated anyway because if I understand correctly there is no point in playing the previous games due to the fact that you can tailor save games to your liking for Inquisition using the Keep. So, it really doesn't matter at all.

Durian Eater

Learned
Aveline didn't get married (not sure if thats possible)

If I remember correctly, if you flat out refuse to help Aveline with her love quest, she never hooks up with her subordinate and they don't get married. This changes some lines of dialogue later in the game. Many of the piddling changes you're allowed to make at the edge of the narrative happen in a similarly counterintuitive fashion, i.e. by blowing off quests and missing out on XP/loot/content. And the devs were pretty arbitrary in deciding which quests you do and don't have to complete. I didn't know until I read the Keep that you could avoid looking for the Viscount's sniveling son, while the Mother Petrice quest line (which you're given very little in-game reason to bother with) is mandatory.

eremita

Savant
I don't know anything about the Arishok but the Demon Red Rock Wraith even had phases and 'don't stand here' zones. Would make WoW proud.
Nothing wrong with that imo as long as abilities/spells are vast and complex + party composition meaningful. I would argue that if MMOs gave us anything good, it's "phased" boss battles. Love it the same way I loved puzzle integration in Blackguard's combat.
Then again its not quite the same, is it? In Blackguards there's puzzle and environmental interaction, there was that in WoW too. But what the Demon Red Rock Wraith does are the more boring things that WoW did too: it lights up danger zones and gives you adds to kill within a timelimit.

Worse, this sort of design quickly becomes repetitive. Its a real danger in these games that boss fight mechanics become a staple, a sort of very specific form that is twisted and spun in crazy ways to fit all kinds of scenarios. I remember there were many times in WoW that instead of designing things with the sort of monster you are fighting in mind, they just copied an old boss and changed the cosmetics.

Is it necessarily bad? No, but it is derivative. And since I openly plan to play DA:I, I hope they were creative with it.

This is pretty much the ultimate decline, and you know they're going to keep doing the same shit. They did the same thing in the legacy DLC. These bullshit bosses that have a timer on how long they take damage or do action x before using attack y and they do it so predictably that you just stand out of the way and run around. It dumbs things down to an unbelievable level. The best thing about fighting Kangaxx or Irenicus (especially improved) is that they use your tactics against you.
I agree that predictability (repetitiveness) in phased combat is the ultimate decline. But that's not what I remember in DA2 boss battles. In Legacy, every time you did that specific amount of damage, they changed the conditions, so you had to deal with new situation(s). It was fucking sweet, because the fight progressed to something and was evolving. Both of you talk about repetitiveness, but that wasn't the case in majority of DA2 boss battles (DAO's Archdemon is repetitive, because he's doing the same shit while having lots of HP - that was boring and tedious and easy).

"he best thing about fighting Kangaxx or Irenicus (especially improved) is that they use your tactics against you" - They were scripted like any other video game fucker, just had a vast amount of spells, which is good, I love BG2 mage encounters. But what does it have to do with phased combat? Those are separated things and could be included both without interfering. That's why I said this in my previous post: "Nothing wrong with that imo as long as abilities/spells are vast and complex + party composition meaningful". Fight with Irenicus, should it be phased, would be better. But those phases have to evolve, throw players in different situations. That's what I like and that's what I think designers wanted to achieve in DA2 with waves (and partially failed).

Last edited:

dryan

Arcane

Aveline didn't get married (not sure if thats possible) Flemath gave you her tome without a fight. Fenris staying alive without me skinning him alive and throwing him down a salt mine.

Also the god baby is wrote out as default as well. No tome, no nothing for Morrigan.
That's possible in the game.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Here's the original source of that, which also mentions BG2 and 90s RPGs in general: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-11-03-biowares-inquisition

Q: It's been a few years since the last Dragon Age, does it feel like the audience for this genre has changed?

Mark Darrah: Skyrim changed the landscape for role-playing games completely. I mean Oblivion probably sold six million units, basically that range, Skyrim sold 20 million. So that, to some degree, changes everything.

Now the expectations of your other fans, they're changing too. People age, they typically have less time for games, so it changes their expectations in terms of gameplay segments. It also results in some nostalgia. so they may become even more firm in their attachment to previous features. Now suddenly you have 15 million people that have basically had the first RPG they've ever played as Skyrim. They have totally different expectations of what storytelling is, what exploration is, and I think exploration is really where we've seen the biggest change.

Games haven't been this big in ten years: Baldur's Gate II was this big, or close to this big. It's not just Bioware, really nobody was this big - games were getting smaller and smaller. I mean look at Uncharted, that's a four hour experience. There's nothing wrong with that, it's an amazingly polished four hour experience, but it's not a big experience. Whereas if you look at role-playing games from the late 90s, I mean Daggerfall is 65,000 square kilometers.

The hardware has brought back the ability to do big again and I think that's what's bringing role-playing games back to the forefront. What we've traditionally seen is that as a console generation turns over the dominant genre has changed. Shooters weren't the dominant genre a generation ago, it was racing games. If you go back before that, to the PlayStation 1 era, it was actually role-playing games. I think that's what we may be seeing here. I don't know that role-playing games will be necessarily dominant but I do think we may see open-world exploration games being the dominant genre of this generation.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
Nothing wrong with that imo as long as abilities/spells are vast and complex + party composition meaningful. I would argue that if MMOs gave us anything good, it's "phased" boss battles. Love it the same way I loved puzzle integration in Blackguard's combat.
Then again its not quite the same, is it? In Blackguards there's puzzle and environmental interaction, there was that in WoW too. But what the Demon Red Rock Wraith does are the more boring things that WoW did too: it lights up danger zones and gives you adds to kill within a timelimit.

Worse, this sort of design quickly becomes repetitive. Its a real danger in these games that boss fight mechanics become a staple, a sort of very specific form that is twisted and spun in crazy ways to fit all kinds of scenarios. I remember there were many times in WoW that instead of designing things with the sort of monster you are fighting in mind, they just copied an old boss and changed the cosmetics.

Is it necessarily bad? No, but it is derivative. And since I openly plan to play DA:I, I hope they were creative with it.

I agree that predictability (repetitiveness) in phased combat is the ultimate decline. But that's not what I remember in DA2 boss battles. In Legacy, every time you did that specific amount of damage, they changed the conditions, so you had to deal with new situation(s). It was fucking sweet, because the fight progressed to something and was evolving. Both of you talk about repetitiveness, but that wasn't the case in majority of DA2 boss battles (DAO's Archdemon is repetitive, because he's doing the same shit while having lots of HP - that was boring and tedious and easy).

"he best thing about fighting Kangaxx or Irenicus (especially improved) is that they use your tactics against you" - They were scripted like any other video game fucker, just had a vast amount of spells, which is good, I love BG2 mage encounters. But what does it have to do with phased combat? Those are separated things and could be included both without interfering. That's why I said this in my previous post: "Nothing wrong with that imo as long as abilities/spells are vast and complex + party composition meaningful". Fight with Irenicus, should it be phased, would be better. But those phases have to evolve, throw players in different situations. That's what I like and that's what I think designers wanted to achieve in DA2 with waves (and partially failed).

This. Besides that the fight with Irenicus was phased.... you take down his HP, he takes you a demon realm and you fight him again as a mage demon. As for Kangaxx he was far from using any tactics you could use. He doesn't even cast spells, he uses abilities that have the same effect as spells but take half the amount of time to cast, not only that but he has resistances that nothing else in the game has.

imweasel

New CGI Trailer with the Bioware's pansexual beastiality romance option, the Iron Bull.

RPGMaster

Savant
"At BioWare our standards are so low that we give Freddie Prinze Jr jobs. You know that guy everyone knew sucked back in the late '90s. Everyone but us. We're slow to catch on."

Delterius

Arcane
That is an actual improvement over DA2.
The fun part is that if in DA2 everyone was bi, then in DAI they announced that for the first time in addition to "everyone is bi" rule there will be purely faggot party members.
Eh... no. The everyone is bi rule died in DAI. Now people have different preferences again, which is so obvious that this is the joke.

eremita

Savant
Only few are BI, some are faggots, others straight, but some eve have RACIAL restrictions (that bald guy is elves only). That had to caused some sweet butthurt over the fanbase. Is anyone lurking over BSN?

Sammael7

Literate
That is an actual improvement over DA2.
The fun part is that if in DA2 everyone was bi, then in DAI they announced that for the first time in addition to "everyone is bi" rule there will be purely faggot party members.

I hope they track down your copy of the game and insert Anders just for you. You'll say hello, and it will instantly cut to a scene where your main character is being mounted. I'd pay to see that reaction.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom