Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age: Inquisition Pre-Release Thread

I liked DA:O. But I hate companions playing a role beyond having a stat sheet and there is good reason for it. (Fenris leaving my party broke DA2 for me far more than any other design choice.)

Now. I'm not a guy with many friends or relationships, because I find it fucking difficult to find either. However, this is mostly because I am insanely picky. Whatever the case, I happily fit into the deviant basement dweller paradigm - being gay and a furry and a whole bunch of other bullshit. So, the image you guys create of the BSN crowd, fits me perfectly well. Only, I am not part of that crowd.

To me game characters, just like their irl counterparts, have always been pretty boring. I don't find people very interesting; I find ideas interesting. Bioware characters lack ideas - as do most of the game industry, so don't get me wrong. It doesn't matter how awesome you are or how much you are into me, or have cataclysmic your past is. Ultimately you are fucking boring in the present. Try and sell me an idea and I will be interested. It really is that simple. Bioware completely and utter fails in that. Bioware wants to make me emotional over "issues". I'm not emotional over issues. I never will be. What I need is a conversation with ideology. Tease the intellectual part of me.

You know, some of you guys might hate GD and totally, I can understand why. What you don't get is how much that stimulation provided by GD is required by gamers like me, because they do not find it anywhere else - especially games.

I was seriously considering brofisting this, until you mentioned GD as the template for intellectual stimulation.

Seriously though, for me it's a matter of variety. I can enjoy NPC characterisation when done well. I'd love more games that are genuinely intellectually stimulating, but the only one I can think of that does this at a conceptual level is the Void (haven't played the FP game that developer made prior to then) - if genuine intellectual stimulation is what you're after, you're more likely to find it in terms of the mechanical gameplay challenge of older games (and even then, it's only a handful that were truly intellectually challenging, as opposed to requiring extensive replaying and learning the AI) than in ideological/conceptual engagement.

And I love - absolutely fucking love - pseudo-intellectual engagement: games that aren't truly coming up with anything intellectually challenging, but which are well-written and flatter my ego by posing relatively shallow ideological argument in a way that gives the illusion of intelligence. I like the term 'philosoraptory' for these - it's a bastardised form of philosophy because ultimately they're about entertainment rather than true intellectual engagement, but they're a hell of a lot more fun than any genuine intellectual engagement could be, and they allow for an incredible depth of immersion by creating an interesting moral universe to explore (e.g. PS:T, Deus Ex, SS2 with its collectivism v individualism war between Shodan and the Many, I have no mouth and I must scream, MotB etc).

But if genuine intellectual stimulation is what you're after, games haven't reached that point. Contrary to the expectations that I and many fellow storyfags held back in 2000, it might be a very long time before they do.

Gay furry is an oxymoron. All furries are gay by default.

Really? I know very little about the subject, but I've never encountered a fetish that didn't have plenty of female participants, even if they're less numerous than the guys (especially when you factor in that cultural expectations tend to make women a lot quieter about it). I mean, there's no shortage of women who are into 'rape fantasy roleplay' (emphasis on the roleplay, obviously - it doesn't mean they condone rape), and I'd guess that there's more women into bondage fantasies than guys, if 50 shades of Grey is any indication. I don't see why a comparatively non-threatening fetish like furries would be gay-specific.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
You know, I /don't/ expect to ever have an intellectual argument in a game. It's practically impossible. Which is exactly my reasoning as to why companions are bullshit.

I agree with you though, that pseudo-intellectualism is appealing. I mean, shit, last night I spent hours with a pothead friend of mine talking about shit. Games /can/ provide that. (As can GD. ;) ) That's what's appealing about sport. It's complete and utter faux-intelectualism, yet complete bullshit.

I've also had too much gin.

Hobo Elf

Arcane

Really? I know very little about the subject, but I've never encountered a fetish that didn't have plenty of female participants, even if they're less numerous than the guys (especially when you factor in that cultural expectations tend to make women a lot quieter about it). I mean, there's no shortage of women who are into 'rape fantasy roleplay' (emphasis on the roleplay, obviously - it doesn't mean they condone rape), and I'd guess that there's more women into bondage fantasies than guys, if 50 shades of Grey is any indication. I don't see why a comparatively non-threatening fetish like furries would be gay-specific.

Most furries I know are openly gay, bi at most. The others are still in the closet. As for female furries I honestly haven't encountered such a creature yet. No, I've seen little girls who talk about having fox spirits or whatever, but this is childish ignorance in the same way a kid might believe in Santa Claus or Ouija boards and not a way for them to express their sexual deviancy. I'd be interested to hear from someone who's better versed in Furfag lore if there are genuine hetero furry girls.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"(Fenris leaving my party broke DA2 for me far more than any other design choice.)"

\C&C, bitch.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
"(Fenris leaving my party broke DA2 for me far more than any other design choice.)"

\C&C, bitch.
Yeah, not wanting to suck someone's proverbial cock is not C&C. It's forcing a personality onto me. Irl, I'd never surround myself with shits like him. Then again, I guess that is C&C. But the thing is, if me liking him was going to be a determining factor I wouldn't have taken him along in all my quests. I came to the understanding that he is just a stat sheet in my party, so when I lost him I got butthurt.

Lhynn

Arcane

\C&C, bitch.
Yeah, not wanting to suck someone's proverbial cock is not C&C. It's forcing a personality onto me. Irl, I'd never surround myself with shits like him. Then again, I guess that is C&C. But the thing is, if me liking him was going to be a determining factor I wouldn't have taken him along in all my quests. I came to the understanding that he is just a stat sheet in my party, so when I lost him I got butthurt.
Any minmaxer worth its salt would have sucked his cock, you disgust me.

set

Cipher
You can beat da2 without even trying. You just need any 4 party members. What's there to minmax?

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014

\C&C, bitch.
Any minmaxer worth its salt would have sucked his cock, you disgust me.

A real man gets his dex bonus by fucking a bisexual elf who sounds like Antonio Banderas.

Answermancer

Educated
You know, some of you guys might hate GD and totally, I can understand why. What you don't get is how much that stimulation provided by GD is required by gamers like me, because they do not find it anywhere else - especially games.

I was seriously considering brofisting this, until you mentioned GD as the template for intellectual stimulation.

What is GD?

Kem0sabe

Arcane

Nikaido

Arcane
In My Safe Space

Answermancer

Educated

What is GD?

:excellent:

Saw it mentioned in another thread so I think it's probably the forum I don't have access to as a noob? Okay then.

I thought it was like... some codeword for furry romances in games or something.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

What is GD?

:excellent:

Saw it mentioned in another thread so I think it's probably the forum I don't have access to as a noob? Okay then.

I thought it was like... some codeword for furry romances in games or something.

Oh... but it is.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014

HNGGGGGG . . . MUST ..... RESIST ... NFFHHFFFFGGGGGGG!!!!

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
I liked DA:O. But I hate companions playing a role beyond having a stat sheet and there is good reason for it. (Fenris leaving my party broke DA2 for me far more than any other design choice.)

Now. I'm not a guy with many friends or relationships, because I find it fucking difficult to find either. However, this is mostly because I am insanely picky. Whatever the case, I happily fit into the deviant basement dweller paradigm - being gay and a furry and a whole bunch of other bullshit. So, the image you guys create of the BSN crowd, fits me perfectly well. Only, I am not part of that crowd.

To me game characters, just like their irl counterparts, have always been pretty boring. I don't find people very interesting; I find ideas interesting. Bioware characters lack ideas - as do most of the game industry, so don't get me wrong. It doesn't matter how awesome you are or how much you are into me, or have cataclysmic your past is. Ultimately you are fucking boring in the present. Try and sell me an idea and I will be interested. It really is that simple. Bioware completely and utter fails in that. Bioware wants to make me emotional over "issues". I'm not emotional over issues. I never will be. What I need is a conversation with ideology. Tease the intellectual part of me.

I don't even know what to say to this shit but I hope you have a bro who can help you go out and get laid and forget about this basement dwelling shit.

As for this game, I was planning on buying this based on my relative enjoyment of DA:O; after seeing the ad campaign and trying the beginning of mass effect, I am really not sure if its worth the time. I have shit to do and if this is going to be complete and utter garbage I'd rather save the time and money.

Shannow

Waster of Time

Most furries I know are openly gay, bi at most. The others are still in the closet. As for female furries I honestly haven't encountered such a creature yet. No, I've seen little girls who talk about having fox spirits or whatever, but this is childish ignorance in the same way a kid might believe in Santa Claus or Ouija boards and not a way for them to express their sexual deviancy. I'd be interested to hear from someone who's better versed in Furfag lore if there are genuine hetero furry girls.
1. "Oxymoron" means the opposite of what you three seem to think it means. From looking into a german-english dictionary "tautologous" seems to be the word you were looking for.
2. Gay = homosexual. Women can be homosexual, so the claim "All furries are gay by default" does not by any means exclude women. (I have no opinion on the claim itself.)

But please continue giving BSN munition. Now they can claim the codex is a bunch of hypocrits and no different from themselves. Thanks a lot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom