Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age: Inquisition Pre-Release Thread

circ

Arcane
Mako was nothing compared to the shitbox that was the hovercraft in ME 2.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
At least driving in Mako was waaaaay better than endless clicking on scan, launch anal probe, scan ad infinutum. ME3 presented a pinnacle of exploration degradation.
The mako was a piece of crap. The game would have been better with no mako, just each planet having a unique little mission, even if it was linear. Maybe having some half decent fuel mechanic that meant you could not search all planets in one play through.
images

DeepOcean

Arcane
Liked art style. Like the long development time.

Total wait and see mode.
Based on Bioware last 3 games, you are going to wait a LONG time to see something decent coming from them.
By this logic anything that is getting better will continue to get better forever and anything getting worse can only decline. Stupidity.
When the conditions that lead to the decline (Bioware shitty writing team and EA) didn't changed at all, stupidity is to think that incline will happen by magic and pure goodwill. I didn't knew EA changed it's policies of making dumb down action games, maybe Bioware isn't making a TB RPG because of their artistic integrity all this time?! Who could knew?!

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
At least the mako sections in ME1 made you feel like space explorer sci-fi guy. I never really got that feeling as strongly in ME2 and ME3.

circ

Arcane
Yeah that's true. I thought I was playing Starflight in 3D for a little while, then it grew extremely tedious with all the achievements and the overall storyline.

Zeriel

Arcane
I liked Mass Effect 1 a lot more than its sequels. The vague wafting aroma of the possible RPG/adventure fusion it could have been was somewhat tantalizing, and then crushingly disappointing when the sequels did their best to forget everything #1 hinted at.

Cromwell

Arcane
It speaks for how bad this series really is when all arguments why the first was of course better then the rest seemm to sound like "it hinted at something good. thre promise! of exploration..." and so on.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Reading the previews for DA3 DA:I I realize time and time again how incredibly generic the setting of this game is. Maybe I'm just too old for high fantasy? Project Eternity will tell.

Haha, I just realized, DA is supposedly set in a 'dark fantasy' world. Maybe I'm too old for that too.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It speaks for how bad this series really is when all arguments why the first was of course better then the rest seemm to sound like "it hinted at something good. thre promise! of exploration..." and so on.

None of them excel at gameplay, really. Even ME3 is a poor man's cover shooter for the most part, compared to even mundane modern cover-based shooters like Gears of War.

The only reason to play the games is story and exploration, and ME1 is the best at both.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated

None of them excel at gameplay, really. Even ME3 is a poor man's cover shooter for the most part, compared to even mundane modern cover-based shooters like Gears of War.

The only reason to play the games is story and exploration, and ME1 is the best at both.
Okay, listen the fuck up, fools.

1. There's no exploration. Every planet is a square map filled with random mountains. What you call exploration is 60% made up of finding all the brightly colored rocks that give you money, 39% question marks that are for the most time already placed on your map, and 1% easter eggs. (Oh boy, "here's a cow animal that steals your cash" "you can vaguely hear the, quote, song of the rachni, end quote".) Fuck that shit. I fucking hate Skyrim but even I can see how you can actually explore things in that game.

2. Mako vs Hammerhead. End this crap. If your only argument for the Mako is "the Hammerhead is shit" then fucking leave. That is not how arguments work. The Mako must stand alone. Fucking convince me that it's a great thing. Here are two more things I immediately disqualify: 1: "MAI ATMOSPHERE!" Fuck your atmosphere! 2: "MAI IMMERSHUN!!" Fuck your immersion!

Also pro-tip: the Hammerhead sucks but at least it could FLY (well, hover), thus making it 100% more useful to have than a retarded tank that can only SLIGHTLY LIFT from the ground every five seconds.

3. "ME1 is the better game because it could have been great!" Go the fuck away. You're not arguing that Mass Effect 1 COULD have been a good game, you're trying to argue that Mass Effect 1 IS a good game. There is a big fucking difference.

4. The story? It sucks, get over it. ME2's story is so simple anyway that it's stupid to compare it to 1 or 3. Pro-tip: simple story beats pretentious story.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, it's not exploration if everything interesting on the map is pre-marked.

I still enjoyed driving the Mako, probably because I enjoy driving vehicles in vast empty spaces, especially armed vehicles (hello, Interstate 76).

The plot of ME1 was nothing special, but it was decent enough to work and it ended on an open note, promising even better stuff. This promise was never fulfilled. It's not a big discovery that perceive things through our expectations. I expected nothing from ME1 and was pleasantly surprised. I expected quite a bit from ME2 and was disappointed. ME3 I saw as being mediocre shit and it actually was, so no surprise here.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
I disagree about comparing it to Interstate, because there are actually things to do in Interstate. Objectives to complete, enemies to destroy. If you enjoy driving then you must surely agree that there are much better driving games, PURE driving games for example?

(Also man, I love Interstate '76! Is that on GOG? Because I would so totally buy it. Best car game that isn't Carmageddon or Twisted Metal 2.)
edit: I don't need 5.99

Zeriel

Arcane
You'd have a point if the Hammerhead were used for more than one DLC'd mission that is segmented off from the rest of the game. Really, in this way, the Hammerhead is a great example of how their modest achievements in the first game were abandoned in favor of total mediocrity.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
I disagree about comparing it to Interstate, because there are actually things to do in Interstate. Objectives to complete, enemies to destroy. If you enjoy driving then you must surely agree that there are much better driving games, PURE driving games for example?

(Also man, I love Interstate '76! Is that on GOG? Because I would so totally buy it. Best car game that isn't Carmageddon or Twisted Metal 2.)
I76 was the first game I bought on GOG, as in for real money, instead of getting it for free in some CDP promo.
I don't enjoy 99% of driving games, and I hate driving IRL, but there are a few video game exceptions (namely, the three You mentioned).

And of course comparing Mako driving to Interstate 76 is like comparing Eragon to Lord of The Rings, but I still enjoyed driving in ME1, just as I enjoyed it in Brutal Legend.

Haven't heard of PURE, will check it out.

Borelli

Arcane
In ME2 i played as a psi-warrior who has an ability to go through cover, that ability by itself is such a big fuck you to established cover shooter conventions that for me ME2 is above average cover shooter(with "average" not being that high in the first place)

They forgot to add "you must not be an active member of the RpgCodex".

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
1. There's no exploration. Every planet is a square map filled with random mountains. What you call exploration is 60% made up of finding all the brightly colored rocks that give you money, 39% question marks that are for the most time already placed on your map, and 1% easter eggs. (Oh boy, "here's a cow animal that steals your cash" "you can vaguely hear the, quote, song of the rachni, end quote".) Fuck that shit. I fucking hate Skyrim but even I can see how you can actually explore things in that game.

I don't recall saying the fucking thing was Gothic 2, I just said it did it better than the sequels. Exploration in ME2 and ME3 amounted to looking at the sides of your corridor or checking out the five room town. At least ME1 fucking attempted something and made me feel like I was exploring a planet, even if it was a mirage for the most part.

In short: "better than sequels" != "best of all time OMG FUCKING EXPLORATION MASTERPIECE!!!!!"

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Haha, I just realized, DA is supposedly set in a 'dark fantasy' world. Maybe I'm too old for that too.
They were using dark fantasy as a buzzword. They quietly changed it to "dark heroic fantasy."

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Yeah, it's not exploration if everything interesting on the map is pre-marked.
Except it's not, and Andyman is making shit up because it's glue time.

1. There's no exploration. Every planet is a square map filled with random mountains. What you call exploration is 60% made up of finding all the brightly colored rocks that give you money, 39% question marks that are for the most time already placed on your map
Mountains are not random. It is neither our fault not Bioware's if you can't read a topography map and see the patterns. The primary reason I actually had fun with the Mako was from figuring out that the maps were not random bullshit for the most part and then figuring out how to get from A to B to C to D with a minimum fuss. Speaking of which - every single planet had at the very least one location that gave you quest items or money and items (ie not "easter eggs") and that was not on the map. Some had 3 or 4. Therefore exploration. Now I'm not gonna argue the quality, because no one ever did; we're arguing whether it exists. It does and you're wrong.

2. Mako vs Hammerhead. End this crap. If your only argument for the Mako is "the Hammerhead is shit" then fucking leave. That is not how arguments work. The Mako must stand alone.
Hypocrite. You're the one who keeps bringing comparisons and who keeps claiming "Mako is shit" with the only argument being "because it's shit". And actually the argument IS ENTIRELY ABOUT COMPARISON since the whole point is that ME1>ME2, and therefore about how everything in ME2 is shittier (case in point, Mako>Hammerhead, planet exploration > scanning, etc).

Also pro-tip: the Hammerhead sucks but at least it could FLY (well, hover), thus making it 100% more useful to have than a retarded tank that can only SLIGHTLY LIFT from the ground every five seconds.
It hovers at always exactly the same distance from the ground, and if you try to walk through lava it has a lovely sinking feeling. It could have invisible wheels for all I care and it would behave EXACTLY THE SAME. That's not flying, and it's not even hovering. That's YOUR IMMERSION. Hypocrite.

3. "ME1 is the better game because it could have been great!" Go the fuck away. You're not arguing that Mass Effect 1 COULD have been a good game, you're trying to argue that Mass Effect 1 IS a good game.
Actually no, we're arguing that ME1>ME2.

4. The story? It sucks, get over it. ME2's story is so simple anyway that it's stupid to compare it to 1 or 3. Pro-tip: simple story beats pretentious story.
Lol. ME1's story was typical simple space opera. ME2 went all GRIMDARK pretentious. Hence once again ME1>ME2. BY YOUR OWN LOGIC.

Well yeah. At least the first had hints of something that maybe could be good. The second one took away those hints and we're left with nothing but the garbage. It's also why the story gets more and more retarded with every iteration. It's not that ME1's story was good, it's that ME2's was complete full retard, and that ME3 managed to top even that (without even going into the ending). Besides you have to admit talking about ME1 vs ME2 beats BG vs Fallout :smug:

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated

I76 was the first game I bought on GOG, as in for real money, instead of getting it for free in some CDP promo.
I don't enjoy 99% of driving games, and I hate driving IRL, but there are a few video game exceptions (namely, the three You mentioned).

And of course comparing Mako driving to Interstate 76 is like comparing Eragon to Lord of The Rings, but I still enjoyed driving in ME1, just as I enjoyed it in Brutal Legend.

Haven't heard of PURE, will check it out.
By pure driving games I meant driving games. Like, if you like driving cars in games maybe check out a game that does that shit better? I dunno. I wouldn't go to Mass Effect to drive cars. But if you liked it that's fine.

Cromwell

Arcane
I dont know what your all talking about, the story was shit in all games, I couldnt bring myself to play the third so my opnion on that is from what I have read. They were shit in every way, the exploration was nothing, there were no real characters (the game assumes I care about wrexx possible death and it talks to me like I know the guy. But never forces me to actually do something with him). The games where more or less the same regardless of the tone of the story, its always do levels 1-5 in which ever order you like, do endquest. in between try and fuck someone.

All opinions are either personal taste or coming from someone who likes splitting hairs if its better to be left or right handed (in the not codex occult, literal way). I like 2 better, for me its the better game.

Both games, maybe all three, would be very much superiour to what they actually are if I could fuck more aliens, and if was not restricted to a crew which I dont care about, and if I had the oportunity to actually fuck them more than once, without talking abut their feelings.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom