Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age impressions

Lesifoere said:
Azrael the cat said:
Goddamnit, pretty much any remarks I can make about Western literary superiority are quite effectively pwned by the success of Twilight:-(. At least we can plead that Twilight wouldn't have succeeded 10 years ago (or is admitting decline worse). It was the 1-2 hit of the Harry Potter series coming first. 2/3 of the literate westerners became fans of fucking CHILDREN'S novels, and because there were 7 of them, that meant a full decade of literary infantilism, leaving us wide open for some shite like Twilight to fill the void.

Ah come now, don't forget Dan Brown.

Damn it. I just threw up a little in my mouth:-(

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Renowned curator Jacques Saunière staggered through the vaulted archway of the museum's Grand Gallery. He lunged for the nearest painting he could see, a Carravagio. Grabbing the gilded frame, the seventy-three-year-old man heaved the masterpiece toward himself until it tore from the wall and Saunière collapsed backward in a heap beneath the canvas.

Last month, much to Langdon's embarrassment, Boston Magazine had listed him as one of that city's top ten most intriguing people-a dubious honor that made him the brunt of endless ribbing by his Harvard colleagues. Tonight, three thousand miles from home, the accolade had resurfaced to haunt him at the lecture he had given.
"Ladies and gentlemen…" the hostess had announced to a full house at The American University of Paris's Pavillon Dauphine, "Our guest tonight needs no introduction. He is the author of numerous books: The Symbology of Secret Sects, The Art of the Illuminati, The Lost Language of Ideograms, and when I say he wrote the book on Religious Iconology, I mean that quite literally. Many of you use his textbooks in class."

=)

baronjohn

Cipher
Brilliant, concise, suspenseful, full of ancient wisdom,... What's not to like about Dan Brown's writing?

Oh wait, I forgot, this is the Codex. We despise anything that's popular. That it might deserve its popularity is of course an idea too ludicrous to entertain.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Azrael the cat said:
It was the 1-2 hit of the Harry Potter series coming first. 2/3 of the literate westerners became fans of fucking CHILDREN'S novels, and because there were 7 of them, that meant a full decade of literary infantilism, leaving us wide open for some shite like Twilight to fill the void.

I thought these were skool novels.

Balthamael

Liturgist
Another question.

What is Morrigan's agenda if the PC happens to be female? Does she go after Alistair, or does the ritual involve something else in that case?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
baronjohn said:
Brilliant, concise, suspenseful, full of ancient wisdom,... What's not to like about Dan Brown's writing?

Oh wait, I forgot, this is the Codex. We despise anything that's popular. That it might deserve its popularity is of course an idea too ludicrous to entertain.

Great comment from one who is obviously on the "DA-pop-hate"-wagon.

Also: You like Dan Brown?

That explains so much.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Balthamael said:
Another question.

What is Morrigan's agenda if the PC happens to be female? Does she go after Alistair, or does the ritual involve something else in that case?

She goes for Alistair. If he's not available, then she goes for Loghain.

baronjohn said:

You appear to be reading at the level of a ten-year-old if you think Dan Brown is "brilliant and concise." Also loooooool full of ancient wisdom. Swear to fuck, the writing in DA is better than Dan Brown's.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Actually, one of the interesting things that could come out of DA would be if Bio pulled a KotOR again and let Avellone and co do the sequel.

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Lesifoere said:
You appear to be reading at the level of a ten-year-old if you think Dan Brown is "brilliant and concise." Also loooooool full of ancient wisdom. Swear to fuck, the writing in DA is better than Dan Brown's.

Ten year old is an understatement. Ten year old retard is closer to the truth. Dan Brown writes like Robert Ludlum with brain damage. Anyone who thinks otherwise should try to read Foucault's Pendulum and Da Vinci Code back to back. In game terms, that would be playing F:POS after playing Fallout.

kris

Arcane
VentilatorOfDoom said:
hi guise, can I has some questions?

Why does noone give a shit, that you're still alive after slaying the archdemon (did Morrigans ritual) and what happens if you don't do the ritual? And can you make Logain become a grey warden? Alistair wouldn't let me do it and executed Logain himself.

Any warden comment on it at the epilogue. well at least Loghain did and he said that the Orlesian wardens was asking questions about me not dying.

relootz

Scholar
There is definitely heavy level scaling going on. Darkspawn i am encountering now at level 12 is much stronger then the ones i encountered at level 4.

Twinkle

Liturgist
Gaxkang was weaker imo and the chick I killed on first try too, she hits hard, but nothing that can't be repaired by a weak healing potion (with 60 magic or so that heals more than 100 dmg), it took me ~1h because I killed the endless stream of darkspawns first until they stopped spawning, also I made an effort to keep Arl Eamon, Kardol and the first enchanter healed and alive, the circle mages fireballed the shit out of my party btw very nice of them.

The key is the timing. Do not call for reinfrocements until darkspawn start pouring out. I used dwarves instead of mages, though. Maybe I was lucky, but I easily sniped him from afar cuz he was too busy pwning Arl Eamon.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
kris said:
VentilatorOfDoom said:
hi guise, can I has some questions?

Why does noone give a shit, that you're still alive after slaying the archdemon (did Morrigans ritual) and what happens if you don't do the ritual? And can you make Logain become a grey warden? Alistair wouldn't let me do it and executed Logain himself.

Any warden comment on it at the epilogue. well at least Loghain did and he said that the Orlesian wardens was asking questions about me not dying.

Here's a bit of very special "consistency": I explained to Loghain, more or less completely, what the ritual would do when I coaxed him into having sex with Morrigan. He agreed to do it, the cringe-worthy sex scene ensued. And at the end he still wondered aloud why my PC didn't die.

Kekekeke.

baronjohn

Cipher
Lesifoere said:
You're just a dumb spam bot. Loooool this sucks looooooool looooooool seriously do you have anything INTELLIGENT to say?

janjetina said:
Ten year old is an understatement. Ten year old retard is closer to the truth. Dan Brown writes like Robert Ludlum with brain damage. Anyone who thinks otherwise should try to read Foucault's Pendulum and Da Vinci Code back to back. In game terms, that would be playing F:POS after playing Fallout.
Wow, Eco. You're so dark, gritty and mature. looooooool, give me a fucking break. Anyone can pick up a thesaurus and write like Eco. It takes much more skill to write simply yet produce masterpieces like Brown does.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Wow, I thought people who actually believed Dan Brown wrote a "masterpiece" were urban myth.

baronjohn makes BLOBERT sound erudite.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Actually, one of the interesting things that could come out of DA would be if Bio pulled a KotOR again and let Avellone and co do the sequel.

I thought Bioware fans didn't like KotOR 2 and thought it'd have been better for Bioware to do it instead of Obsidian? Bioware handing their own totally and unmistakably original IP to Obsidian might trigger a lot of rage.

kris

Arcane
Lesifoere said:
He agreed to do it, the cringe-worthy sex scene ensued. And at the end he still wondered aloud why my PC didn't die.

Kekekeke.

Mentioning that. Have you see the "song" scene with Leliana? It brought out so many feelings in me, especially happiness. God I laughed. The sex scenes are top class productions after you seen that one. I don't think "cringeworthy" is a strong enough word to describe that one.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
I have, and to this day don't know what the fuck triggered Leliana's camp song scene. I especially liked how some of the tougher NPCs turn their faces away to hide a single tear of manly sorrow.

Dear Bioware: this is why you don't rip off Peter Jackson. It is much worse when polygons do it.

Gosling

Liturgist
Lesifoere said:
Wow, I thought people who actually believed Dan Brown wrote a "masterpiece" were urban myth.

baronjohn makes BLOBERT sound erudite.

Baronjohn is just mocking the local Dragon Age worshippers who believe that Bioware wrote a "masterpiece". (at least I hope so)
This is page 208473 of the DA thread - stop being so dumb/serious.

1eyedking

Erudite
Dnny said:
I didn't know what you were talking about (maybe I accidentally zapped the cutscene ?) so I looked up in youtube and holy satan, that was some deep shit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSh86CNCgDY

The dog and Sten were incredibly bored.
As always the comments deliver:

katethegreat19 said:
This is in the Rennaisance/Medieval European style of music. It sounds like it could be an ancient song from Finland or the British Isles.

I've heard numerous songs that have this sort of beauty in that genre, but this composition uses some modern touches that make it especially beautiful.

For some similar songs, check out traditional songs like Ailein Duinn, and surprisingly enough, game and anime songs like Lament of the Highborne or Tameki No Hashi.

scott88008 said:
Of course she rejected the strong emotion with a shake of the head but it affected her nontheless (I know it's just pixels but the artists behind them did a great job).

pimpmaster6294 said:
songs and stories survive. they might not know the translation, but the song is still known
Why is there so much fail in life?

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
kris said:
hmmm, maybe I should have talked to Alistair once more. I only talked to him during the beginning cutscene of the epilogue and he didn't bring up the topic then.

Also I predict that the bhaalspawn dragonspawn of Morrigan will be the hero of DA2.

Grifthin

Educated
* Spoiler.

Or the Villain. Or perhaps depending on how you treat them the hero. Or go on to do something that you have no control over what so ever.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom