Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age III is Bioware's absolute LAST chance and here is how they can get it right.(Long read)

First, let me start off by saying I think Dragon Age Origins is a masterpiece, one of the finest examples of how to take classical tolkien-esque fantasy archetypes and make them seem fresh through exceptional writing, a fleshed out plot, and steady character development.
This was handled well for the most part except in terms of gender. Predictably selecting a female does result in dialogue changes as well as opening up different romance possibilities, that's fine. However, one has to take a look at the role the Warden played in the events on Thedas to see how flawed Bioware's interpretation of the female warden was.
The numerous blights Thedas has suffered from have all been catastrophic, some so much so they've toppled empires and divided nations. Yet despite these insurmountable odds the people of Thedas prevailed thanks to the leadership of the Wardens who were not only strong but willing to place personal emotions aside for the greater purpose of stopping the blight as we saw when Duncan explained in the Mage origins story how blood mages have been useful.
Take special note of how I mentioned the traits of strength and emotion, two areas where women differ substantially from men. Addressing the former first, I work in the fitness industry and can tell you first hand from both experience and having studied human anatomy that human muscle fibers in women lack as many cross-sectional areas that men do. To better explain that that means that women's muscles on average lack as many contractile proteins called sarcomeres which help contribute to muscular strength. Working in the fitness I see the difference first hand in both trained and untrained female individuals. Let's assume for the sake of argument that the female Warden is equivalent to a trained female.

On the one RM bench press test(meaning what is the maximum weight a person can lift once), an average trained female individual weighing 150 lbs can usually lift anywhere between 85-115 lbs. The difference in lower body strength is not as pronounced but it is still very rare for a trained female to be able to properly squat more than 135 lbs or deadlift more than 150.(for Canadians reading this who use the metric system, remember the kilogram conversation calculation is to divide lbs by 2.2). What's intersting about these numbers is that they're roughly equivalent to the performance of an untrained or intermedietely trained male. With that said, would you guys want an untrained, out of shape male to be leading the fight against the most dangerous threat to the continent, a job that includes fighting dragons, and ogres? I know I wouldn't. So why would we want a female protecting us trained or otherwise? These statistics aren't mine, they come from the Journal of Strength and Conditioning from the NSCA, an organization I'm certified under I should add. There are other sports science details I could get into as well such as males having superior cardio-respiratory endurance, improved rates of recovery but I think I have made my point that males are physically superior to women for fighting the blight.

Now on to the second point, emotions. One could argue that my points would only apply to the rogue and warrior class since mages rely less on physical strength. Now I'm no psychologist but I am well versed in the lore of Dragon Age. It is stated frequently that the demons of the Fade feed off certain potentially negative emotions like pride, desire, sloth etc. Now it has been documented that emotions are driven in part by endocrinological changes in the body such as testosterone and estrogen. Testosterone is beneficial since it contributes to muscular strength and hypertrophy as well as increasing aggression which would help suppress fear in a tense battle. Estrogen on the other hand makes people fit to irrational emotional swings which can rollercoaster from extreme sadness one second, to extreme hostility(rage demon) the next. Women also have a higher body fat percentage(hunger demon), favor materialism(desire), tends to develop megalomaniacal feelings during their menstrual cycle(pride demon) and a large percentage of women also consider being a housewife a career(sloth demon).
So simply put, I don't think women would make good mages either.

Now, before you get the wrong idea let me emphatically state that I do NOT want a female option removed from customization. Rather I think that if we're to play as a woman we should have one as a class that plays to the strength of the female gender rather than it's weaknesses. Thus, I'm hearby suggesting a fourth class be added for females exclusively...

The seductress.

Rather than rely on traits the gender is lacking in the seductress can use her feminine charm and guile to her advantage to seduce her enemies and increase the affections of her male companions. For example, a new "seduction" stat can be added that can be raised through experience as well as the use of sexy new items such as seductive makeup, slinky dresses, fish net stockings, yoga pants, and romantic lingerie. The higher your seduction stats the stronger your male companions will be since they'll be fighting harder to impress you and win your affection thus keeping the game balanced in the face of the player being in a non-combat role.
It could work well in the dialog too. Seductresses can have access to their own unique "seduction" dialogue. Like for example, in Dragon Age:Origins during the Landsmeet the female Warden can win the support of the Banorn by sleeping with it's members.
Another example would be during the Werewolf quest. When Zathrian refuses to break the curse if your persuasion is too low you can use seduction on him and say

"If you're nice to the werewolves then I'll be EXTRA nice to you...I promise."

If your seduction is high enough, it should work. In conclusion, I think gender is a powerful force and to have it belittled as little more than a cosmetic feature makes the whole thing seem trivial. Some of us would like to see how a woman could deal with a job atypical of most women but it should be written in a way which is plausible and has it's own set of boundaries which make such cirumstances believable.

Can't wait for Dragon Age III! Good luck to the Bioware staff!

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
First, let me start off by saying I think Dragon Age Origins is a masterpiece, one of the finest examples of how to take classical tolkien-esque fantasy archetypes and make them seem fresh through exceptional writing, a fleshed out plot, and steady character development.
Stopped reading here, cause of massive dump screaming to be released.

Brb.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The way to do DA3 right:

Pack armed Claymore mines into all boxed copies, make splash screen for digitally distributed ones some sort of Langford's Basilisk-like pattern.
:whatmustbedone:
Digital copies of DA3 would be a perfect tool for field testing Snow Crash. Most of the target audience is well on their way to zombification anyway.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
The way to do DA3 right:

Pack armed Claymore mines into all boxed copies, make splash screen for digitally distributed ones some sort of Langford's Basilisk-like pattern.
:whatmustbedone:
would doublefist if could.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

David Gaider said

My point is that if your objective is to make us want to create such a romance, then espousing an interest that obviously goes no deeper than their race isn't the way to do it. That's no different than someone asking for a big, muscular male character to romance, or "a dwarf"... or saying "I'd like a black woman to romance."

In fact, I'd use the word "romance" rather loosely in that context, because what you're really asking for is a sex scene. And if you think BioWare romances are all about getting it on with a character of your choice, that's great-- but it wouldn't entice me or any other writer to want to make it happen for you. If the alternative is someone accusing me of being prudish or "arty", then so be it. Having the romance be reduced to the equivalent of some body parts is about as artless as I can imagine.

If that's not your stance, or why you want the romance, then great. You've nothing to worry about, so long as you think about what you're saying. That is what I see in a number of these requests, however... so to that I'll simply say that if you're expectation is that we developers should be thrilled to become your virtual pimps, that's simply not the case. The fixation on romance displayed in these forums is borderline distasteful as it is, and certainly not limited to requests for female qunari-- I'd rather not encourage such requests if people actually believe they'll have results that aren't the opposite of what they intend.

I find it amazing that Gaider seriously thinks his latter-day romances are anything but virtual prostitution for degenerate pervert losers.

waywardOne

Arcane
They've long since run out of chances. Only brain-dead tweeners are even paying attention to Bioware these days.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
You can also kill all potential romance partners in the Dragon Age games. Some much later than others because the story dictates.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Aerie was the only romance in which you had to avoid the only chance to have sex with her to complete it. How is that prostitution?
Delayed gratification nonsense. She literally has your baby in Throne of Bhaal.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Aerie was the only romance in which you had to avoid the only chance to have sex with her to complete it. How is that prostitution?
Delayed gratification nonsense. She literally has your baby in Throne of Bhaal.

How is that gratification? You don't even get the benefit of a black screen type innuendo. You just have a baby in-between games (nevermind that i only briefly played TOB, as in literally about 15 minutes to half an hour). There are no BG2 cutscenes in which you kiss or have sex with your clothes on like other Bioware games. A proper evolution of BG2 romnaces would look nothing like the mass effect/da abominations.

Bioware moved from interesting, if simplistic portrayals of interpersonal conflict to this:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
How is that gratification? You don't even get the benefit of a black screen type innuendo. You just have a baby in-between games (nevermind that i only briefly played TOB, as in literally about 15 minutes to half an hour). There are no BG2 cutscenes in which you kiss or have sex with your clothes on like other Bioware games. A proper evolution of BG2 romnaces would look nothing like the mass effect/da abominations.
I dunno, you're the one who enjoyed romancing her. People like using their imaginations and having it sparked by ~romance fiction~.

Bioware moved from interesting, if simplistic portrayals of interpersonal conflict to this:
lawl

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
I dunno, you're the one who enjoyed romancing her. People like using their imaginations and having it sparked by ~romance fiction~.

Evidently it hit some emotional soft spots. Romance isn't all about sex, or even primarily about sex. BG2 recognized that, which is why sex was given minimal coverage. Contrast this to DA or ME where the dialogue is just filler. That's the difference between tasteful romance like BG2 does and "let's get it on right here" like DA2 does, and why the latter is really expensive prostitution while the former is a perfectly acceptable side-quest. The only way BG2 would be prostitution is if an EA exec showed up at your house to give you a handjob while playing.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Evidently it hit some emotional soft spots. Romance isn't all about sex, or even primarily about sex. BG2 recognized that, which is why sex was given minimal coverage.
It was given minimal coverage because they didn't have the graphix to show it. You still have sex with your virtual partners.

Contrast this to DA or ME where the dialogue is just filler. That's the difference between tasteful romance like BG2 does and "let's get it on right here" like DA2 does, and why the latter is really expensive prostitution while the former is a perfectly acceptable side-quest. The only way BG2 would be prostitution is if an EA exec showed up at your house to give you a handjob while playing.
This is just too funny. BG2 was just as shallow, gross and pandering as their latter efforts, the only difference is that it's conveyed through text instead of cinematic dialogue. The difference between a romance novel and a made-for-tv romance film.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Evidently it hit some emotional soft spots. Romance isn't all about sex, or even primarily about sex. BG2 recognized that, which is why sex was given minimal coverage.
It was given minimal coverage because they didn't have the graphix to show it. You still have sex with your virtual partners.

I don't really buy it. Nothing stopped them from making more detailed sex scenes via writing. This is what BG2 would have been like if made by modern Bioware:

Jaheira: Oh BigDick69, harder! HARDER!
1 I don't want to hurt you...
2 Who are you talking to? I'm clipping my... wtf Korgan???
3 I want to be an orgasm.

That's what a proper cutscene to text translation would look like.

This is just too funny. BG2 was just as shallow, gross and pandering as their latter efforts, the only difference is that it's conveyed through text instead of cinematic dialogue. The difference between a romance novel and a made-for-tv romance film.

No it wasn't. Remove the sex from the latter efforts and absolutely nothing will remain (not that there was much to begin with). I still remember how Aerie got captured by slavers for trying to save some kid, why she got her wings cut off, why she worships a gnomish god. The romance was a (unique at the time) vehicle for storytelling. In contrast I can't remember a damn fucking thing about how the Warden's dick got stuck in Leliana. In fact IIRC the main vehicle for advancing DA romances is to give them shit, pretty much the textbook definition of prostitution.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I don't really buy it. Nothing stopped them from making more detailed sex scenes via writing.
WotC and the ESRB. BG is a teen game y'know. In KOTOR, another t-rated game, all you do is off-screen "kiss."

This is what BG2 would have been like if made by modern Bioware:

Jaheira: Oh BigDick69, harder! HARDER!
1 I don't want to hurt you...
2 Who are you talking to? I'm clipping my... wtf Korgan???
3 I want to be an orgasm.
Nothing they've done is ever that explicit.

No it wasn't. Remove the sex from the latter efforts and absolutely nothing will remain (not that there was much to begin with). I still remember how Aerie got captured by slavers for trying to save some kid, why she got her wings cut off, why she worships a gnomish god. The romance was a (unique at the time) vehicle for storytelling. In contrast I can't remember a damn fucking thing about how the Warden's dick got stuck in Leliana.
Bias showing. I remember a lot about Leliana's past. Bioware companions on average now have significantly more dialogue than they did in BG2.
In fact IIRC the main vehicle for advancing DA romances is to give them shit, pretty much the textbook definition of prostitution.
Actually it's telling them what they want to hear and making choices they agree with. The gifts are there so you can max out everyone's friendship even if you never take them anywhere or say a few disagreeable things so you can have the option of unlocking their personal quests.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom