Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age II Patch 1.03 is out.

curry

Arcane
Exmit said:
DA 2 on 1.03 is the Twitcher killer.

A few weeks ago I would have just laughed at that but that was before TW2 turned out to be a miserable failure. I honestly don't know which game sucks more - after all, I actually finished DA2 but not Witcher 2. :roll:

edit: POSTS 420!! Gotta roll myself a fatty and spark that bitch up yo blaze weed all day right codex :smug:

I just hope that all of the reviewers who gave an 8.0-8.5 to this game will go back and update their scores to show that it's now fixed.

Exmit

Scholar
commie said:
Exmit said:

snip]

fairydragon.jpg

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Andyman Messiah said:
Can't believe I glossed over this one:

In many fights, enemies now move less quickly at the start of combat. This slower initial pace makes tactical positioning more useful and important.
:hmmm:

Tactical Positioning? Don't you just press the AWESOME BUTTAN and win?

Exmit

Scholar
Overweight Manatee said:
I just hope that all of the reviewers who gave an 8.0-8.5 to this game will go back and update their scores to show that it's now fixed.

Exmit

Scholar
Jaesun said:
Andyman Messiah said:

In many fights, enemies now move less quickly at the start of combat. This slower initial pace makes tactical positioning more useful and important.

With 1.03 DA2 is now full tactical RPG bro. Think Jagged Alliance 2 with Dragons.

Deleted member 7219

curry said:
Exmit said:

A few weeks ago I would have just laughed at that but that was before TW2 turned out to be a miserable failure. I honestly don't know which game sucks more - after all, I actually finished DA2 but not Witcher 2. :roll:

edit: POSTS 420!! Gotta roll myself a fatty and spark that bitch up yo blaze weed all day right codex :smug:

Die.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Matt7895 said:
curry said:
Exmit said:

Die.

seconded.

also Exmit is a faggot, a poor man's Drog.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Exmit said:
Jaesun said:
Andyman Messiah said:

With 1.03 DA2 is now full tactical RPG bro. Think Jagged Alliance 2 with Dragons.

:yeah:

I'll go get a copy right now an play it! FINALLY!

Exmit

Scholar
So much potato butthurt ITT i can feel the peels coming off by themselves :smug:

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I am going to download this patch and I'm going to apply it. Then I'm going to launch the game and I'm going to play it. I may last 5 minutes. I may last 5 hours. Either way, I am going to attempt to extract some amount of value from this game that I paid for.

Wish me luck. I may not survive.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
"Lieutenant-rank enemies can no longer lose more than 40% of their health from a single hit, and boss-rank enemies cannot lose more than 20%."
Luke Barrett said:
For the damage caps, bosses already had this 20% cap since the game launched. As for the lieutenants the change was intended to remove your ability to 1-hit creatures that were intended to be an important aspect of an encounter.
Woderful, it's not enough that you have to go through the story precisely the way Bioware wants you to, now you have to fight their battles exactly as they intended. Why fix their broken character system when they can just put in nonsensical arbitrary damage caps to make you sure you play their carefully constructed encounters the Right Way? I can't believe a) they found a systems designer worse than Zoeller and b) someone actually received a paycheck for this when the appropriate response would have been to print it out, attach it to a clipboard and smack him over the head with it repeatedly. Can't blame this brazen ineptitude on EA's rigid schedules.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
Crispy said:
I am going to download this patch and I'm going to apply it. Then I'm going to launch the game and I'm going to play it. I may last 5 minutes. I may last 5 hours. Either way, I am going to attempt to extract some amount of value from this game that I paid for.

STEEL BE WITH YOU.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Crispy said:

Was nice knowing you. :salute:

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

KamelĂĄsĂĄ!
Patron
Crispy said:

Even though you walk through the vally of herp and derp, you shall fear no retardo. For they are with you; the (A)wesome Button and gay elf sex, they comfort you.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The patch seems to improve and fix a lot of things, but this:
Lieutenant-rank enemies can no longer lose more than 40% of their health from a single hit, and boss-rank enemies cannot lose more than 20%.
What The Fuck!

As already said:
Roguey said:
someone actually received a paycheck for this when the appropriate response would have been to print it out, attach it to a clipboard and smack him over the head with it repeatedly.
This! The concept is so fucking stupid I can't even believe someone even thought of it, much less got paid for the idea.

Crispy said:

Bring back souvenirs

racofer

Thread Incliner
Crispy said:

So, Crispy. How is it going?

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Roguey said:
"Lieutenant-rank enemies can no longer lose more than 40% of their health from a single hit, and boss-rank enemies cannot lose more than 20%."
Luke Barrett said:
For the damage caps, bosses already had this 20% cap since the game launched. As for the lieutenants the change was intended to remove your ability to 1-hit creatures that were intended to be an important aspect of an encounter.
Woderful, it's not enough that you have to go through the story precisely the way Bioware wants you to, now you have to fight their battles exactly as they intended. Why fix their broken character system when they can just put in nonsensical arbitrary damage caps to make you sure you play their carefully constructed encounters the Right Way? I can't believe a) they found a systems designer worse than Zoeller and b) someone actually received a paycheck for this when the appropriate response would have been to print it out, attach it to a clipboard and smack him over the head with it repeatedly. Can't blame this brazen ineptitude on EA's rigid schedules.
I commented on this a few days ago when I first saw the patch notes and just headdesked about as hard as I ever have. I mean, really, I understand wanting to make bosses more powerful, but... why the hell don't you then just increase their armour, elemental resistances (with weaknesses, no less), etc.? Adding arbitrary caps to bosses is stupid, unfair and most importantly effectively lies to the player about his or her capabilities. "Hah! You thought Assassinate did 1000 damage? Not so fast, idiot!" This single "balance" choice says basically all you need to know about just how fucking incompetent BioWare's designers are.

Sadly, it's actually par for the course for Dragon Age II. See the time limits on health potions - rather than taking the most obvious and logical step and, say, making health potions weaker, or much rarer, or more expensive, so that endlessly chugging them is actually not smart in the long run, thus discouraging their use, instead we get this pointless, player-limiting brute-force approach. Instead of a well-thought-out system which as simple and elegant solutions to problems, instead we have a bad, poorly designed system with a bunch of arbitrary rules stuck to it that exist solely to prevent the entire thing from breaking under the weight of its own incompetence.

Luke Barrett said:

Great incentive for a second powergamer playthrough - learn the rules- build a party- equip them right- and the boss fights are .... just as hard as before. Next feature - if enemy health would have gone down by >20% had the dmg cap not kicked in, then monster auto-crits player on the next hit (just to help balancing).

There was this great thread on the Bioboards where some poor fucker had spent half his life decompiling the DA2 code to get the exact rules, and had found some combination of party/attacks to get that soul-destroying Arishok battle last only a couple of minutes. I bet he'll be a happy Talimancer when that patch kicks in.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Trash said:
Anyone still having any hope for Mass Effect 3 not sucking?

I haven't read anything yet that has given me any great concern.

The team is still pretty much sticking to the same game plan when the did Mass Effect 2. Granted they now have more of a focus of ending the Trilogy....

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom