Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age combat preview

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I wonder if Bioware dies a little every time a preview that references Tolkien or LotR when discussing Dragon Age.

The previewer sounds like an absolute idiot too... he thinks it's supposed to be an action rpg? He thinks every click should be a sword swing like in Diablo? Did they even prep him on the game before showing it to him?

Saxon1974

Prophet
No I don't believe its using any D&D, but maybe it should be.

This part I found interesting...

While Dragon Age looks to be an action RPG, it is not a hack & slash intensive one. Or rather, it doesn’t work as one. Like all actions, combat is done through the mouse. You point the cursor at an enemy and click the right mouse button, and your character does whatever attack you’ve chosen from the bottom buttons.

But while this works well if you’re shooting an arrow or casting a spell, it’s not as effective when you’re wielding a sword or other melee weapon. It still works the same, it’s just that if you’re close enough to hack someone, then they’re close enough to slash you, and in this game, these actions don’t come as fast and furious as in most action games; the swinging doesn’t keep up with your button mashing. As a result, sword fights typically play out as such: you smack a guy, he smacks you, you smack a guy, he smacks you, and whoever is stronger and/or has the better melee weapon wins.

I hope the combat is better than standard button mashing. I agree the reviewer sounds pretty retarded.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom