Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age: Choose Wisely

I'm not sure why this stuff even surprises me these days; I'm actually optimistic about the game, but press like this doesn't help:

GameSpy said:
Choose Wisely

Not that it should surprise you, but Dragon Age takes the dialogue trees we've loved since Knights of the Old Republic and throws them in as well (at this point they are kind of a BioWare standby). Players can choose to be a jerk or take a more diplomatic route with their conversations. And, as in other BioWare games, such choices will have far-reaching consequences (read Miguel's preview for an example). In the battle I fought, for instance, I could just mock my opponent and get to fighting, or I could speak less aggressively and hear more of the story. While my conversation might not ultimately affect the ending of the game, it was a good example of how dialogue choices will change individual player experiences.

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/dragon-age/981704p1.html

Railroaded fight where you can have more or less dialogue before the fight? Hell, that was true of River City Ransom. . . . BARF!

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
While my conversation might not ultimately affect the ending of the game, it was a good example of how dialogue choices will change individual player experiences.

While I've played other games such as Dungeon Siege that allowed you to somewhat tailor the AI's abilities to your liking, I've never seen a system as complex as Dragon Age's.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Yeah, the writer's continuing usage of Dungeon Siege as a point of reference was hilarious. Apparently, Gamespy does not have anyone that plays actual RPGs on staff anymore.

Hegel

Arcane
Hegel said:
In the battle I fought, for instance, I could just mock my opponent and get to fighting, or I could speak less aggressively and hear more of the story
Wow, unbelievable, that's so original. I wish this guy would set himself on fire.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
GameSpy said:
Not that it should surprise you, but Dragon Age takes the dialogue trees we've loved since Knights of the Old Republic

What the fuck is this fucking shit? Is KotOR suddenly the first game in existence that featured fucking dialogue trees

fuck :x

Hegel

Arcane
Darth Roxor said:
GameSpy said:
Not that it should surprise you, but Dragon Age takes the dialogue trees we've loved since Knights of the Old Republic

What the fuck is this fucking shit? Is KotOR suddenly the first game in existence that featured fucking dialogue trolls

fuck :x
You know what pisses me off, what really makes me want to go on a murder rampage? The fact these guys make me feel so dinosaur old.

Hegel

Arcane
Dunno, but he's 26 years old, what the fuck. I would have said he was 16.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Darth Roxor said:
What the fuck is this fucking shit? Is KotOR suddenly the first game in existence that featured fucking dialogue trolls

now that was an interesting Freudian slip...

Hegel

Arcane
Darth Roxor said:
Darth Roxor said:

now that was an interesting Freudian slip...
Bastila trolled CHARNAME all the time tbh.

TisATrap

Educated
The gaming industry and the gaming press are a multi million dollars joke played on us the consumer.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Lurkar

Scholar
I think KotOR is being lauded as the first RPG evar made simply because it was the first one Bioware put on the Xbox. Depressingly enough, it's probably the first RPG many of the people reading the review had ever played, so that's why it keeps referring to it.

Lurkar

Scholar
Satori said:
Lurkar said:
I think KotOR is being lauded as the first RPG evar
wut

Have you not been reading the reviews? It's popular now to reference Dragon Age back to KotOR 1. Presumably because the people they're marketing to now have never even heard of Baldur's Gate.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Dragon Age!! Dragon Age!! All threads are now about Dragon Age!!!!!!!!

Dragon Age!!!

Gonna be a fun 6 months.

Deleted Member 10432

Lurkar said:
Depressingly enough, it's probably the only RPG many of the people reading the review had ever heard of, so that's why it keeps referring to it.
Fix'd.

bhlaab

Erudite
Not entirely surprised that the fully voice acted and mocapped dialogue sequences don't have very many branching paths

I'm not sure if an motion capture was involved, but Vampire: Bloodlines had the same degree of voicing (all NPCs, no PC) and pretty decent freedom of choice.

aweigh said:
and it put its studio out of business NEXT!!!
No doubt due to the high cost of fully voice branching dialogue. :roll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom