Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DoW: Soulstorm. Now with dark eldar and tyranids!

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Now he's just hoping to hang on through spam and get the last word in.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Is there any word on who will be the reigning chaos Legion this time round? Personally, I honestly hope it's the Iron Warriors. They're incredibly badass in fluff, and the most technologically advanced of all the Traitor Legions, and have the most titans under their control. Their daemon world, Medrengard, is a massive forge/fortress world the likes of which is unseen in the Imperium of Man as well. Totally friggin awesome.

Cassidy

Arcane
Stop flaming your own alts and flaming yourself through them to raise your postcount, kingcomrade! If you want to make spam with alt self-trolling at least make it fun.
-------------

And I think I would choose the Tau Empire, if they're available.

40kmetalgearsister.jpg

SoBs artwork here have a slight resemblance to androgynous anime characters with strange colored hairs, not my cup of tea. Really, if I didn't saw the previous artworks and as I'm no expert in Warhammer 40k, I would have to guess whether this one is male or female from looking just at the face.

Also is there any actual explanation for the apparent pattern on the shape SoBs scars(and always being on the same side of the face) or are they there just to make them look "badasses"?

PS: I think the Thousand Sons and their Chaos God Tzeentch are what I would prefer playing, psychic powers are always interesting and there is a quite moral ambiguity for a Chaos God that seems to represent some arguably "good" things after all.
Plus I'm not a big fan of close combat human wave and other high mortality rate attack tactics either.

psycojester

Arbiter
The Sisters of Battle always seem to be drawn with either white or black hair. Not sure why, maybe they control the imperium supply of bleach?

So for the scars, i can't remember any fluff explanation for em, maybe the SoB always charge into battle sideways, hence that side getting wounded a lot.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
They scar themselves ritually along with flagellation, in remembrance of the Emperor's eternal suffering for mankind. Much like Opus Dei (or any old school christians) and their relationship with Jesus. The Sisters take it, however, one step further with death squads armed only with eviscerators (two handed chain swords), known as Sisters Repentia. Basically, they are considered the holiest of all battle sisters because they are willing to go to such great lengths in battle, and they voluntarily go into this squad, where they'll almost certainly die, as they charge recklessly into the enemy.

Destroid

Arcane
I liked vanilla DoW better than any of the expansions... :(

Was hoping the next version of DoW would use the CoH engine or an updated version of it, I really like the way combat flows in that game. On the other hand it is nice to see a company return to the formula of making a game and then reusing the engine to produce more titles, although they should really be cheaper now that the amount of work required to produce new DoW titles is so far reduced.

Funny that the DS WH40k game will have more variety of units :/

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I would have to guess whether this one is male or female from looking just at the face.
What? There is no ambiguity here. Also, Sisters are almost always drawn with white hair. I don't know why (symbolic of purity? GW generally isn't deep or subtle), but it's just one of their visual themes.

always being on the same side of the face
Not all Sisters are scarred. Most of the art I have that is not official art is about a single Sister. 4chan/Deviant Art has a set of characters that drawfags draw, and (I think the name is) Sister Rei is one of them.

I think the Thousand Sons and their Chaos God Tzeentch are what I would prefer playing
Thousand Sons are pretty awesome in the newest codex. They used to have two wounds, now they only have one, but they now have a 4+ invulnerable save (1/2 the time they will shrug off wounds and nothing can penetrate). What really makes them great is that their bolters now are AP3, which means they pierce Marine armor, and they can shoot while moving. Playing as Thousand Sons only would be quite a feat, though, as they are really expensive thus you would be severely outnumbered. They would not be points-efficient against any army except for Marines/Necrons.

Plus I'm not a big fan of close combat human wave and other high mortality rate attack tactics either.
lol, well first of all this is a dumb thing to care about for a tabletop war game, and second anything with a 3+ save (2/3 of the time they shrug off wounds) is not going to have high mortality rates.

Destroid

Arcane
Oh well, I played most of my 40k back when shuriken catapults had a -2 save modifier and a sustained fire dice (and 24" range).

Destroid

Arcane
No, I just played an awful lot more as a kid. For those that don't know there is also a 40k mod for battlefield 2 that has been in development for a million years, I think it is nearing beta.

Noceur

Liturgist
Dude, those french guys who made the Witch Hunters mod etc, should really reskin/remodel the whole game.

Graphics-whorroring ftw!

Destroid

Arcane
Hawt.

I still wanna see marines run around like the guys out of CoH, ironically enough its rules are also much closer to the boardgame.

Noceur

Liturgist
On a related note (although it doesn't have anything to do with this expansion (i hope)), the whole Relic Online scheme doesn't bode well for an eventual Dawn of War 2.

I tried playing CoH on my brother's laptop, and it was impossible. After several patches and Windows Updates, I managed to log into Relic Online, but the game crashed every time I loaded a map. Although I have a suspicion this might be because of Windows Vista.
Still, having to log onto relic online just to play a compstomp over LAN sounds a bit over the top. Especially when you're not able to play if relic online is offline, which rumour suggests is its new hobby.

Hellraiser

Arcane
You can play offline/LAN with the disc in the drive if RO is down/you don;t have internet access.

Yeah surprisingly COH has a lot of stuff you could find in the TT but not in DOW like different armor ratings on different sides of the vehicle etc. Although other than "imagine seeing space marines on it (COH's engine)" there have been no mentions or implications that they plan making DOW 2.

Destroid

Arcane
You certainly can play lan without authenticating... I play CoH over hamachi on a semi-regular basis with no problems.

*deleted* The reason I find it closer to tabletop is that it has a more "dead or alive" approach to damage, your tank shells either inflict serious damage or bounce off, with rifleshots mostly missing or inflicting heavy wounds.

EDIT: Misread hellraisers post.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
It comes out in November, in just two or three weeks. Google Witch Hunters Mod and click on the forum link that ends in .FR. (the team is French). They have an English section, of course.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom