Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DoW 2 Expansion: Chaos Rising

deshields538

Scholar
Not sure if there's already a thread on this but whatever.

Ok, I'm a huge 40K fan but even I can see that DoW2 was mediocre at best and a waste of my money.

Yet, I'm pretty interested in the expansion now after seeing this dev video:

http://community.dawnofwar2.com/blog-po ... oper-diary

The video confirms that there will be:

- Genestealers and Tyrant Guard

- The Librarian

- More than 1 ending for the campaign (C&C, hur dur). But the way the lead designer emphasizes that the corruption system is not a penalty but an alternate way of playing the game kinda tells me that they're at least heading in the right direction.

- Weapon upgrades that should have been in vanilla (lascannons, melta weapons, lightning claws)

- Lots more Imperial Guard

- SPACE HULK MISSIONS!!!

- Possibility of a Great Unclean One laughing at the very end of the video based on this model:

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Chaos/nurgle/guop1.jpg

I should also point out that they have replaced the lead designer from vanilla DoW2 with another guy so maybe he'll actually make this into a decent game.

Tails

Arbiter
Space Hulk Missions? so now at least we know why THQ didn't give permission to teardown guys.

Yeesh

Magister
Hmmm. First, I liked DoW2 (single player). It was too easy, but I could have cranked up the difficulty, and it had Space Marines; who doesn't love em?

But it felt to me that while the game got a lot of little touches right (I guess I'm mostly talking about the unit chatter, which I somehow found endearing), the game just wholly missed the darkness of the 40k universe. I mean Christ, during one of the (many, baffling) exchanges between the gruff scout guy and the idealistic assault guy, I was honestly expecting someone to fucking chime in with "because FREEDOM isn't FREE!" It was that bad.

They're the fucking Space Marines. They kill shit, and then they blow shit up, and then they kill the shit again. They don't have philosophical discussions. They work for the fucking immortal Emperor of man, a giant psychic mutant freak who EATS TEN THOUSAND PEOPLE A DAY.

I guess what's weird is that in this little era of gaming when "dark and gritty" seems to be all the rage, here's this franchise where the source material is the fucking poster child for dark and gritty, and yet somehow the devs just made it into another typical Good Guys versus Bad Guys sort of deal.

Anywho, I'm looking forward to the expansion, and I do like that the designer guy seems to be a huge nerd, but something about the diary rubbed me wrong. I guess it's the way he referred to the corruption system as some sort of choice to be evil. I guess what I've been trying to say is that in 40k, there's no good and evil. It pisses me off that they missed that.

In the Grim Darkness of the Far Future, There is Only War.

Fez

Erudite
Good old GW. I would like to see another Warhammer Fantasy game like SOTHR or Dark Omen. A turn based army scale game (fantasy or 40k) would be great too.

DoW1 was fun. Dow2 changed things a lot, but after Soulstorm low point I was willing to forgive almost anything. I like a good single player campaign. After Winter Assault it went downhill for me.

Yeesh said:
Hmmm. First, I liked DoW2 (single player). It was too easy, but I could have cranked up the difficulty, and it had Space Marines; who doesn't love em?

[long post explaining why they weren't really Space Marines]

oh

Destroid

Arcane
DOW singleplayer is and always has been pretty retarded. Multi is where it's at.

Hopefully the expansion brings some good multiplayer content.

Mogar

Scholar
Emotional Vampire said:
Yeesh said:

[long post explaining why they weren't really Space Marines]

oh

Spess Mehrenes used to be okay, before they started being ultra grim and melodramatic with a tinge of homolust. Even so, I've never really liked them, with the possible exception of the Space Wolves. It was mostly an aesthetic thing at first (I'm not the first to think their pauldrons are stupid and their angry mask faces as laughable), but I've grown to dislike them even more; maybe, possibly on the same level as the Eldar. This is mostly due to GW's aggressive marketing of them as other armies languish, and the way that their fluff has moved more to being homogenized with that of the Smurfs or Templars, my least favorite chapters. This pretty much summarizes the Marines in modern fluff; note, points 6 to 11 are not only fluff, but the way most Marine players play:

1- Think before negotiating: If you fire at them with everything you have, could you remove the need to negotiate?
2- If negotiation is a necessity, think while doing so: what is the best way to cleave the enemy ambassadors in twain?
3- If all else fails, fighting is always the answer.
4- If fighting fails, you are not fighting hard enough.
5- If you are not fighting hard enough, fight louder.
6- The best approach is always from the front.
7- If the enemy has left their flanks open, feint and then attack from the front.
8- If the front is heavily defended, they are expecting a flank attack. Attack from the front.
9- If their flanks and front is both heavily defended but they are vulnerable to an aerial strike, distract them with aerial bombardment and then attack from the front.
10- If attacking from the front does not work, you are not fighting hard enough. See point 5.
11- If attacking from the front is still not working, you're obviously not attacking their front! See point 6
12- If there is no possibility for victory, attack from the front as furiously and loudly as possible. Remember, the greater the defeat, the greater the moral victory.
13- The more blood your armour is covered with at the end of a battle, the happier the Emperor will be.
14 - If you fail to get any blood on you, cut yourself like the eight foot tall, chainsword wielding, battlecry shrieking, superhuman emo that you are. The Emperor likes blood, no matter whose it is.
15- When a battle is in doubt, cry tears of anger to the Emperor.
16- If the Emperor is not listening, cry to your primarch
17- If you don't have a primarch, cry to a chaplain near you
18- If you are the chaplain and want to cry, find the nearest chaos marine near you

Lothers

Scholar
Yeesh said:

I do! Mindless pupets of the false emperor!

I have tried DoW2 but it's far worse than DoW1, especially with DoW40K: Firestorm Over Kronus - closest to TT you can get.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I actually thought DoW2's multiplayer was better than the retarded tech rush of the first game. Additionally it was refreshing playing a game where troop placement and microing were required to win fights. It felt a bit like they were trying to make it more true to the tabletop game instead of just another RTS, by changing the focus from resource and base managing to pure troop movement and small scale tactics.

Mogar

Scholar
Emotional Vampire said:
Faggot deteced, adding poster to blacklist.

I'm surprised you haven't already. I guess I should be flattered, but I won't feel content until I'm at least above Black Cat on your shitlist.

Mogar

Scholar
Emotional Vampire said:
pipka said:
Emotional Vampire said:
Black Cat is not on my blacklist because it's female.
Virgin detected.

Moron detected. Female = was born a faggot. So how could I blacklist it for faggotry? That'd be pretty stupid.

Right...

No need to get so defensive Emo. On RPGCodex, being a virgin puts you in the majority. There's no shame in it.

pipka

Savant
Emotional Vampire said:
pipka said:
Emotional Vampire said:
Virgin detected.

Moron detected. Female = was born a faggot. So how could I blacklist it for faggotry? That'd be pretty stupid.
Awww. How cute. Someone tries to be a gentlemen. And pseudo-intellectual one.

Mogar said:
Emotional Vampire said:
pipka said:
Emotional Vampire said:
Virgin detected.

Right...

No need to get so defensive Emo. On RPGCodex, being a virgin puts you in the majority. There's no shame in it.

I am a virgin and I'm not ashamed of it. Try again.

Turok

Erudite
Dont know why soo many people cry about this game, i really enjoy it, yea some stuff make no sense like the infestation but i really have a good time playing it mostly because i like the solo playing and the upgrade of wepons, armor and skills per mission.

A expansion comming? and is promissing to address lot of the problems? nice then, i will be the first on buy it.

Destroid

Arcane
Then hopefully they can get onto Homeworld 3.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom