Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Double Fine's MASSIVE CHALICE - Released... but nobody cares

Kraszu

Prophet
But he has a point. A good one at that considering, the pitch video and overall work that seems to have gone into this pitch is a joke. They spend 70% of the video hyping a nobody lead dev and people just jump in blindly.

They do? It doesn't do nearly as good as they previous campaign.

J1M

Arcane
Doublefine made a single good game, Psychonauts. Tim Shaefer himself did make some more good stuff, 20 years ago. At least inXile people worked on semi-decent and good-ish RPGs during last decade.

I think you are being a little too generous. I didn't find Psychonauts very innovative or interesting. It was just... popular.
And W2, Torment and PE will be innovative? Please...
Reviving a dead genre and being successful enough at pitching it that Doublefine copies you? Some might call that innovative...

Then again, I don't think the appeal of the titles you mentioned had innovation as their main draw. You jumped into a retrospective side-discussion attempting to identify what (if anything) Doublefine has done to deserve their reputation. Instead of drawing false equivalencies, maybe you could provide some insight as to why you respect Doublefine enough to defend them on a message board. To be convincing, you should probably stick to things that happened after the formation of Doublefine, not 15 years ago.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
maybe you could provide some insight as to why you respect Doublefine enough to defend them on a message board.
There isn't too much to explain here. I liked all of their games so far (Psychonauts, Stacking, Costum Quest, Brutal Legend, didn't play Iron Brigade though). Some of the are simple downloadable games, yes, but opposite to the edgy guys here, I consider them fun. And opposite to them, I played these games, while many people here just say "lol, console crap" and not even playing it. Yeah, they were released on consoles, so what? They are not as complex as a cRPG, but Stacking is a better puzzle game with its clever puzzles, than most p'n'c adventure games on the PC for example. Brutal Legend has an amazing atmosphere, soundtrack and graphical style, and a basic, somewhat generic but functioning gameplay. Custom Quest is nothing special, but as far as JRPG lites go, it can be fun for a while. And as I heared Iron Legend is a prety good mech-action-tower defense hybrid, with costumization and coop play. Also nice graphical style.

So the better question is, why shouldn't I have faith in them, when they never dissapointed me.

Reviving a dead genre and being successful enough at pitching it that Doublefine copies you?
Let's not go into who copies who, when it comes to Kickstarter. Keep in mind who started the kickstarter craze.

J1M

Arcane
maybe you could provide some insight as to why you respect Doublefine enough to defend them on a message board.
There isn't too much to explain here. I liked all of their games so far (Psychonauts, Stacking, Costum Quest, Brutal Legend, didn't play Iron Brigade though). Some of the are simple downloadable games, yes, but opposite to the edgy guys here, I consider them fun. And opposite to them, I played these games, while many people here just say "lol, console crap" and not even playing it. Yeah, they were released on consoles, so what? They are not as complex as a cRPG, but Stacking is a better puzzle game with its clever puzzles, than most p'n'c adventure games on the PC for example. Brutal Legend has an amazing atmosphere, soundtrack and graphical style, and a basic, somewhat generic but functioning gameplay. Custom Quest is nothing special, but as far as JRPG lites go, it can be fun for a while. And as I heared Iron Legend is a prety good mech-action-tower defense hybrid, with costumization and coop play. Also nice graphical style.

So the better question is, why shouldn't I have faith in them, when they never dissapointed me.

lol, console crap

DeepOcean

Arcane
I watched the pitch video and didn't found anything different from other kickstarters, including codex favorites, things like publishers vilification, vague description of the game and etc. Honestly if someone is going to be mad at Schaffer because of the pitch video he should be mad at InExile and Obsidian too because they did exactly the same thing. The real problem is that InExile didn't had reputation to make RPGs as Double Fine, but Fargo did right by surrounding himself with people with PnP experience and cRPG experience credentials like Colin, Kevin and Monte while this dude Tim got to make the game don't inspire confidence at all, if Fargo got the dude who made that awful fantasy Gears of War to be Torment lead designer, people would be right to be suspicious as they are right to be suspicious right now. Maybe the guy have what it takes but the vague discription of the game didn't helped him at all to generate confidence.I don't know, I'm going to wait for the updates to see if they explain their game idea better.

Maybe, I'm easily impressed by humor but the humor part in the pitch video was awesome and actually made laugh.

jfrisby

Cipher
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong
But he has a point. A good one at that considering, the pitch video and overall work that seems to have gone into this pitch is a joke. They spend 70% of the video hyping a nobody lead dev and people just jump in blindly.

They've been hyping several of their employees/designers for the last couple years, in pretty much everything they put out. It's been kind of two dimensional, without the actual games. Brad's the one who smiles a lot.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Tiers suck horribly... is quite obvious that The Internet will already bury them under a pile of money, why should I give a penny if the lowest tier is $20 for the game?

Their first KS was $15 for the base game, beta acess and all those video documentaries... now you have to pay $50 for that... we should probably blame greedy publishers, right?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Tiers suck horribly... is quite obvious that The Internet will already bury them under a pile of money, why should I give a penny if the lowest tier is $20 for the game?

Their first KS was $15 for the base game, beta acess and all those video documentaries... now you have to pay $50 for that... we should probably blame greedy publishers, right?
Meh, they are still cheaper than other kickstarters.

DeepOcean

Arcane
:xWhy the God Emperor didn't yet exterminated this consoletard xeno lover mainstream popamoler designer agent of chaos from his ranks?!!!!! But , seriously, it was him that made the enlighted remark about popamole being the way old games desired to be all the time but couldn't because of the technology or am I mistaking him for another chaos monster?:lol:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:xWhy the God Emperor didn't yet exterminated this consoletard xeno lover mainstream popamoler designer agent of chaos from his ranks?!!!!! But , seriously, it was him that made the enlighted remark about popamole being the way old games desired to be all the time but couldn't because of the technology or am I mistaking him for another chaos monster?:lol:

No, that was inXile's president, Matt Findley. I suspect he's come to regret those words.

deuxhero

Arcane
Premise sounds interesting, but...

1: Grand Strategy games have always interested me with their premise (getting some great weapon early on and having it locked to a hero and getting screwed if he dies without kids)... then I remember I'm completely terrible at strategy in general and only capable at tactics.
2: I doubt Double Fine would pull the massively politically uncorrect stuff needed to make the breeding interesting, like having gay heroes that you need to force into political marriages to not go to waste (or indeed, forced marriage period).

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Jeez, this will be a kid's game. From the name, to the concept art to the company making it... it stinks of kiddie game.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Doublefine made a single good game, Psychonauts. Tim Shaefer himself did make some more good stuff, 20 years ago. At least inXile people worked on semi-decent and good-ish RPGs during last decade.

I think you are being a little too generous. I didn't find Psychonauts very innovative or interesting. It was just... popular.
And W2, Torment and PE will be innovative? Please...

All I should need to say is Chris Avellone, Colin Mccomb, brian FArgo and the the list goes on and on...you cant compare that to what i consider a nobody in Brad Muir. He isnt even in the same universe as the prior 3...
So fucking what? Does this mean that only Codex favourite people can make kickstarters? Codex people donated to a lot of kickstarters which were made by such "nobodies". But now they act up and mighty. Bunch of fucking hypocrites. As I read in another topic, you didn't even know who Double Fine is or what have they done.

Double standars all over the place. Watch the fucking Wasteland 2, Torment and PE kickstarter videos. They haven't shown a fucking thing from the game, just talked about some its features. Which Double Fine did in this video. But suddenly inXile can be forgiven for this, but Double Fine can't.

"but inXile shown footage from W2 before coming to KS again"!!!!!

Just as Double Fine. Oh, but you didn't like Broken Age. Tough luck. This doesn't change the fact that they shown footage and pictures about the game.

white-knight.jpeg

RPGMaster

Savant
What's the point of permadeath if the end result is something that makes you more powerful???!!!

Tytus

Arcane
Guy worked on Psychonauts and Brutal Legend. That actually bad news in my opinion. Those games had really cool ideas, but really bad gameplay. Especially Brutal Legend.

The idea of a war lasting generations is really cool, but I wish they would also say something about the king. Heroes die and new ones take their place cool. But what about kings? I really hope kings will affect the state of the war too. Different king rules the kingdom differently giving different bonuses and disadvantages. And what about hero kings? Can a king die in combat? Or is more important for a King to raise his successor?

What about other non-hero soldiers? Will they come into play? As a support unit? Or will the hero be more like a general for them?

I'm also not really the fan of the idea of hero lineages. The idea is nice, but does that mean that you can produce only heroes from past heroes bloodline? No new heroes can emerge and start their own bloodline? The pitch left me with too many unanswered questions. Imho that was a really bad pitch.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
The idea of a war lasting generations is really cool, but I wish they would also say something about the king. Heroes die and new ones take their place cool. But what about kings? I really hope kings will affect the state of the war too. Different king rules the kingdom differently giving different bonuses and disadvantages. And what about hero kings? Can a king die in combat? Or is more important for a King to raise his successor?

It was made fairly clear in the pitch that the king is immortal. The other stuff, good questions and things I'd like answered as well before tossing any money at it.

Tytus

Arcane

It was made fairly clear in the pitch that the king is immortal. The other stuff, good questions and things I'd like answered as well before tossing any money at it.

Yeah, probably so, but it creates this kinda meta-state when king is the player and because the player doesn't die, the king doesn't die. I don't know I just don't really like the sound of it. Especially that it seems like a wasted potential.
But I'm judging an entire game after seeing a couple of drawings like an asshole. So I'll shut up and wait for some actual information.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom