Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dota 2 Discussion (~Boston Majors & Road to TI7~)

What modes should we play?

• Total voters
played a couple games over the last few days
man now I remember just how much this game blows ass when you get a team that just isn't working together and you have to sit there and watch yourself get stomped on for 50 minutes straight
there goes my gaming hour for the week
Sorry to hear, brother. :/

Most of my DotA games it's more of a battle of trying not to mold/tilt or rage. It's not about playing the game that much. I hear it's different in not ranked games.
I play mostly unranked, and it's suprisingly good.

People really play to win.
Of course you run into this guy wanting to try something ridiculous out once in a while, but they are rare.

Dr1f7

Scholar
played a couple games over the last few days
man now I remember just how much this game blows ass when you get a team that just isn't working together and you have to sit there and watch yourself get stomped on for 50 minutes straight
there goes my gaming hour for the week
Sorry to hear, brother. :/

Most of my DotA games it's more of a battle of trying not to mold/tilt or rage. It's not about playing the game that much. I hear it's different in not ranked games.
idk i don't even get mad really it's more just that i feel like i'm losing a huge chunk of my free time when my team just isn't playing the game (especially if i'm playing support)
like it's so time consuming, i have maybe time for one game every few days, and it really blows when that one game just ends up not even really being a game

anyway it ended up happening again (i was support and my position 1 was literally doing nothing for the first 8 minutes of the game) so I just abandoned the match then guess what, I end up in some "punishment pool" where the queue times for games are over a half hour

holy shit the game punishes you for not wanting to have your time wasted, by wasting your time even more
ughhh
I wish dota wasn't such a good game, then it would feel better to just uninstall and be done with it forever

Unfortunately Dota simply doesn't work as a casual game anymore. You have to devote huge chunks of your life to it and even then it's a very sad ratio between playable/unplayable matches.

I love it, been playing it off and on for about 12 years now, but I can't justify putting in the time. It's just not worth it no matter how you look at it.

Axel_am

Exploring and Enjoying
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I have a bunch of party stacks in my friend list that play only AP/SD/RD, or something else that's not ranked. It's very non-competitive, casual, and dare I say it - fun. A lot of the not so meta heroes are picked and people rely more on their heroes not wards, stacks or something similar. The games usually are also a lot shorter. I don't know if you guys are queuing only Ranked, but Normal pick is very casual and fun.

On the other hand playing ranked is like swimming in a cesspool filled with vipers. Everybody has already played 100 games before this and are on the verge of breaking their keyboards. The things is, that even if you want to get to Divine or higher you'll have to compete with people that have been spending their entire day playing DotA. Not for weeks, not for months, but for years. So what's the point? No, really what's the point? Just seeing your MMR stop at a number that will satisfy your ego? That might be it for me.

So what am going to do now? Well getting a cup of coffee and starting up my daily dotes of course.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I love it, been playing it off and on for about 12 years now, but I can't justify putting in the time. It's just not worth it no matter how you look at it.

No game is when you put it that way. Once a week (5, 6 games) I like to sit down with friends and play.

Axel_am

Exploring and Enjoying
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Not sure on that one. With single player games you do get better with time and there is a sense of progression. Not the same with mobas. The meta changes all the time and patches nerf/bufff stuff. So you have to put extra time in learning that if you want to be competitive. Also no story to progress while playing.

More like - "No PvP game is worth when you put it that way."

Axel_am

Exploring and Enjoying
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
7.34e. I was expecting harder nerfs. Looks like we are headed for the Gyro/PL meta. Hopefully, we will skip the Lycan but the SB, Kunkka, NP nerfs and Vlad buff suggest otherwise.

A new Frostivus event is coming which I'm actually looking forward to this year. If they release something like Aghanim's Labyrinth, and if other codexers are down for it, maybe we can make a stack and see how it goes?

Arcana event coming soon™.

Another few month before the "real" update. Maybe tied with the release of Ringmaster.

With the quality of Valve big patches, I'm ok with waiting.
If they release something like Aghanim's Labyrinth, and if other codexers are down for it, maybe we can make a stack and see how it goes?
A reddit user said they've updated some code regarding Aghs Lab. Who knows.

Axel_am

Exploring and Enjoying
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Giving myself a break from Dota. Waiting for the christmas events and hopefully I don't get sucked into it after.

My meta prediction was very off. Except for the Gyro shit. It was pretty strong on pos 4/5 a few weeks ago. Haven't looked at meta lists but I'd imagine Slardar and Lone Druid are kings.

Axel_am

Exploring and Enjoying
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I've tried it on Sky too. It's decent but it feels like it's delaying his key items too much.
Phylactery on BH and Clinkz is fucking disgusting.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I looked at the damage breakdown at the end, and how much phylactery adds to damage. My conclusion is that it is very overpriced for what it does.

I look forward to being proved wrong.

Axel_am

Exploring and Enjoying
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Holy shit. This patch is huge.

I'm just gonna skim over it and figure things out in-game for the most part. I've been reducing my DotA time and reading 10 pages of patch notes is certainly gonna boot up my addiction full force once again. If any of the changes left an impression on someone feel free to share them.

Axel_am

Exploring and Enjoying
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Phylactery became a Core-only item. Like... it's so expensive that I can't justify it on a Support... like... almost never.
I'll try it out on Sky/4 later. I've been falling down the ladder so hard the past two weeks that it would fit my games pretty well. Or maybe Sky/3 with Midas. topkek

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom