Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dota 2 Discussion (~Boston Majors & Road to TI7~)

What modes should we play?

• Total voters
I haven't touched DotA in so long, it'd probably take me like 200 hours to get used to all the shit I'd forgotten, never mind all the new shit like the passive trees. I vaguely recall they implemented a custom map editor like what blizzard RTS games have, anything good on there? Is it still a thing?
There's a whole "Arcade" section in the client that has all sorts of custom games.

I've played some good one over the years.

Yes, there's way too much gold and xp in Dota, way too much of everything, including base stats and HP. Supports are like slightly worse cores, and everyone is walking around with 1.5k-2k health at 15 minutes. A core can't solo kill a support at 20 minutes because they have 3 items. Positioning is way less important, everything is very dumbed down because of this.

The game is really frustrating to play right now because individual agency is very very low. You depend on your team for everything, especially with the forced objectives like Tormentors, xp runes and so on. I really dislike having too many forced objectives on the map, it makes the game very rigid and 'directed'. There's no more creative laning options, no options at all on how to play the game - it's be at x spot on the map at y minutes with the correct heroes, or you lose.

This is very cancerous for pubs because you have to beg your team to do these things and it's a cointoss. If your team doesn't do these predetermined objectives around the clock and doesn't show up in numbers regularly it's a protracted losing situation and there's very little if anything any one individual player can do.

I can't remember a single dota patch where I felt I mattered so little to the general outcome of the match - own lane, feed lane, all the same. It's all completely team dependent.

Things need to be dialed back. Some of the item/gold/stat bloat and some of the forced objectives. I like some elements of the bigger map but I really miss the flexibility of older patches.

Axel_am

Exploring and Enjoying
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Eh, it's just a TI patch. I think the way the game is played now is more enjoyable to watch for people that have little knowledge of Dota.

He's right, you know. The only problem you might have is as a pos 5. Otherwise, everyone gets items.
To be fair support items are really fucking strong tho. You don't need that many of them to enable your team when playing a 5.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
They are obviously pumping steroids into Dota, every hero has two or three skills rolled into one. Look at Razor, Necro, SK, Ogre, QoP, Pugna, etc. Plus every hero has an Aghanim by now and a shard upgrade. It is really an atomic bomb level of Dota.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I can't remember a single dota patch where I felt I mattered so little to the general outcome of the match - own lane, feed lane, all the same. It's all completely team dependent.

This is really a bum level of thinking, you need to git gud. Winning the lane and winning the game are different things, no shit Sherlock. This has been known since forever.

A core can't solo kill a support at 20 minutes because they have 3 items. Positioning is way less important, everything is very dumbed down because of this.

What games are you playing where a support has 3 items at 20 minutes? I would like to know. That is normal for Turbo.

Positioning HAS ALWAYS been EXTREMELY important, that is grade A bull shiet.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
The game is really frustrating to play right now because individual agency is very very low.

Because you need to take control over the game and this you can do only if you play mid with a small pool of heroes or alternatively safelane. This has also been known forever, and is not brought upon by this patch at all.

hajro

Arbiter
The only difference here is that sieging highground is more difficult. Midwit cores probably cant keep high gpm while fighting and taking control of the game. This patch punishes shitters who only know how to lane.
60ae70e31bdb101f615dbc8c70ceda3a.png

If u cant keep this you cant keep dat +25

Axel_am

Exploring and Enjoying
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The only difference here is that sieging highground is more difficult. Midwit cores probably cant keep high gpm while fighting and taking control of the game. This patch punishes shitters who only know how to lane.

If you win your fights your gpm will always be high. Hero kills are worth so much and there are so many kills happening all the time now it's a little ridiculous. Even the game from your post was moving faster than 2 kills per minute.

I feel like it's more about picking from the same 15-20 heroes and not about lane success or gpm this patch.

Nathir

Liturgist
The game is really frustrating to play right now because individual agency is very very low.

Because you need to take control over the game and this you can do only if you play mid with a small pool of heroes or alternatively safelane. This has also been known forever, and is not brought upon by this patch at all.

Mid is just a boring farm fest these days. You could take over the game from mid 10 years ago, now you push wave after wave and if you die it doesn't really matter all that much. Queuing all roles I get mid as often as support. When in the past people used to fight over mid all the time. Nu-mid is boring.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

The sanest post here

Axel_am

Exploring and Enjoying
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Hot damn! The TI games so far have not been bad at all. VP and BB had a pretty crazy 2nd game. I'm expecting to see a lot more crazy shit like that by the end of the tournament.

Have you guys heard anything from a semi-valid source about a new hero coming at the end of TI or is the rumor mill working overtime?

Axel_am

Exploring and Enjoying
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
New hero. x)
Will have to wait for it a few months more tho.

Man this International wasn't half bad at all. I wanted to watch BetBoom against Spirit but GGladiators didn't do a bad a job too. Spirit were levels above anyone else. The Finals had some peak DotA moments.

Dr1f7

Scholar
played a couple games over the last few days
man now I remember just how much this game blows ass when you get a team that just isn't working together and you have to sit there and watch yourself get stomped on for 50 minutes straight
there goes my gaming hour for the week

Axel_am

Exploring and Enjoying
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
played a couple games over the last few days
man now I remember just how much this game blows ass when you get a team that just isn't working together and you have to sit there and watch yourself get stomped on for 50 minutes straight
there goes my gaming hour for the week
Sorry to hear, brother. :/

Most of my DotA games it's more of a battle of trying not to mold/tilt or rage. It's not about playing the game that much. I hear it's different in not ranked games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom