Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dota 2 Discussion (~Boston Majors & Road to TI7~)

What modes should we play?

• Total voters

Absinthe

Arcane
This is going to be one of those things where you think you're scoring points against me but are actually demonstrating your own poor attention span and reading comprehension, isn't it?

No. The point is that you are full of shit

>techies plays the same in different skill levels
>b-b-but pro players play him a lot better!!

Well no shit

Of course that different heroes play differently in different skill brackets, played by different people. I am certain you are not above 2.5k btw
Wow, you're really just full of hot air, aren't you?

I already spelled out the Techies playstyle, dumbass. You're the one who insisted Aui must be performing some kind of pro-skill Techies magic and that us normal players can't possibly play a successful Techies reliably. I just pointed out why you're full of shit. And in the end, you have nothing to say except whatever the fuck this retarded whining shit is.

well that stuff (techies) might not work so well in divine or immortal but it was very viable in the fun ranks (herald->crusader)

yes exactly

tech used to get countered easily outside of the bum brackets. illusions, summons etc

even in the bum brackets it only prolonged pointless games
Again, you are a fucking idiot. Techies does not need to focus on setting up minefields to be effective. He's more than capable of farming, pushing, and teamfighting.

I pointed this out before, but you seem a little slow, so now I'm repeating myself.

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Techies does not need to focus on setting up minefields to be effective. He's more than capable of farming, pushing, and teamfighting.

Now he is. That was the whole point of the rework. To bring him closer to a more dynamic playstyle native to Dota.

Absinthe

Arcane
You're a fucking idiot. I just explained why old Techies was more than capable of it. Ignoring shit that disproves or undermines your point is what stupid people do.

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane
DotA is not well suited to 1v1. And also, I'd say the argument is pretty much already settled.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
He's right, though. DotA's not well-suited for 1v1.

Although, it would be funny to watch a 1v1 Techies mid. If nothing, just to see both of them struggle to last hit. XD

Absinthe

Arcane
I mean, I used to do shit like that in Heroes of Newerth, and there are a number of degenerate heroes that are good for it. It's just horribly unbalanced, so it lost its appeal rather quickly.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Game was never better tbh. The addition of talents, new map areas, neutral items was a gamechanger.

If anyone still remembers Dota Imba that is what the game has become.

The_Mask

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think that, at one point or another, they're going to have shrink the map. Seriously, only carry players love that change, because there are many more places to farm now. So it's easier to hide and get to lategame.

Everyone else is not pleased.

I think that, at one point or another, they're going to have shrink the map. Seriously, only carry players love that change, because there are many more places to farm now. So it's easier to hide and get to lategame.

Everyone else is not pleased.
So many of my games develop in the same way - I play mostly offlane, so I crush their carry during the laning stage, but the jungle is so big and teams are often so uncoordinated that they fail to take objectives in a timely manner (an old problem, but greatly exacerbated by the new map) - so the enemy carry farms the gigantic jungle no matter how many efforts I make to ward crucial spots, you can't ward them all, and it becomes a dice roll about which random carry doesn't have an extra chromosome. It's absolutely a carry-oriented patch.

Picks matter way more than ever, you've never been more punished for picking off-meta heroes, and the timing of teamfights feels very artificial (around crucial times like tormentor spawn); smoke timing is painfully obvious most of the time. Watchers make the game 100% worse and have no reason for existing.

On the one hand I like some of the extra stuff that's been added to Dota over the years (esp. talents), but on the other there's just way too much of it. I still can't justify the existence of neutral items (plus they're very hard to balance); and although I appreciate map variety, this new map drags down the quality of normal pub games more than it incentivizes anything different. Just about the only thing I like about it is the addition of the portal - I think it enables some cool plays and should be kept in future versions.

It's an interesting discussion.
Puppey was out recently, saying games are a lot more streamlined today.
Meaning there's a lot of timing based objectives you have to consider now, so there's a lot less freedom in the strategies you can use.
For example, you never see 3-1-1 lanes, level 1 Rosh attempts, dedicated roamers and so forth.
It could also be that players evolved, and learned how to be more efficient over the years.
I'm not sure where I stand to be honest.

The_Mask

Patron
For example, you never see 3-1-1 lanes, level 1 Rosh attempts, dedicated roamers and so forth.
3-1-1 is dead. That one's out the window just because of how exp is divided and pull camp positioning.

Rosh 1 attempts only happen in very, very specific drafts. And it doesn't help WK's W stopped being an aura.

And I was considering of playing Enigma jungle, because of how the eidolons work, right now, but there is no offlaner that can solo his lane - so that's out the window, too.

Creative dota still happens at Herald or Crusader level. But anything above that, you just have 20 years of accumulated experience that shaped the game. Not to mention that time, ehl oh ehl, when they matched players vs the A.I. and everybody learned some new shit.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Some heroes are simply bonkers now

Just had like 15 wins in a row with WK at 4k. Around 2/3 of those games I played safelane, 1/3 off. If you have but a semblance of movement, the early combo of phase boots and harpoon is unbeatable. Max crit and focus squishy backliners, they die in 3 seconds with skeletons. Follow by deso or basher. Really does not matter which items you build later unless you need BKB. Agh is fun and has a high winrate. Last item refresher.

Same story with CK. Just too strong early where you can simply go 4-0-4-0 by level 8. Same itembuild (echo into harpoon). No one can focus you or kill you at this point. Later Manta, Armlet, Heart, whatever works. Aghanim surprisingly good as 4th or even 3rd item.

Sand king with aghs is absolutely bonkers. Go mid and rush aghs. It doesnt matter if you lose mid. Wwhich you probably will unless melee enemey hero. Just proceed to farm with caustic finale. Once you get blink you can just spam soft commits with Sand storm anywhere on the map. Really hard to counter or for them to stay in the fight if you know how to move. Get stun duration talent. Get octarine core. After that go tanky (heart or S&K). At this point no one can kill you.

not to mention WD, Ogre but these are just the ones I play. Ogre is particularly crazy because everything scales off STR now

Nathir

Liturgist
3-1-1 is dead. That one's out the window just because of how exp is divided and pull camp positioning.

Rosh 1 attempts only happen in very, very specific drafts. And it doesn't help WK's W stopped being an aura.

And I was considering of playing Enigma jungle, because of how the eidolons work, right now, but there is no offlaner that can solo his lane - so that's out the window, too.

Creative dota still happens at Herald or Crusader level. But anything above that, you just have 20 years of accumulated experience that shaped the game. Not to mention that time, ehl oh ehl, when they matched players vs the A.I. and everybody learned some new shit.

Were they too stupid to buy mangoes 20 years ago and spam abilities in lane? Did players need 20 years of accumulated experience to learn to move and attack during WR ult or Razor link? I'm not denying players are getting better... But the number 1. reason for railroaded games and lack of different strategies are Valve enforced gameplay changes, and the insane powercreep.

Axel_am

Exploring and Enjoying
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Didn't even know there was a Dota thread here.

You guys watching The International? Pretty underwhelming Compendium that we got this year.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I haven't touched DotA in so long, it'd probably take me like 200 hours to get used to all the shit I'd forgotten, never mind all the new shit like the passive trees. I vaguely recall they implemented a custom map editor like what blizzard RTS games have, anything good on there? Is it still a thing?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom