Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dota 2 Discussion (~Boston Majors & Road to TI7~)

What modes should we play?

• Total voters

Coriolanus

Learned
The best that a good Techies can accomplish is to create space for his team (the fear of mines) and counter-push, so he needs the other four to really make use of split-push and farm and not die to ganks. So pretty good if you have heroes like Nature's Prophet, SF, Morphling etc.

The issue is that Techies needs farm and XP early.

Ninjerk

Arcane
For the guys with more experience than me: If I would play Silencer or pudge and he suicides me do I get a stack mana/str if I die since we die simultaneously or do I only get that if I survive the suicide attack?

you don't get anything because you die first

Good to know, so against techies as silencer a rod of atos would not be bad to get a little buffer.
Maybe a Euls since Atos won't stop him from doing anything once he has blink. Euls does a little bit of damage to an enemy when they come down so their blink dagger is disabled.

EDIT: Also, if his remotes are anything like they were in WC3 DotA like 10 years ago, they reveal a split second before they blow up and you can throw yourself in the air when he triggers them (I haven't played against him yet so I don't know for sure).

Techies blink doesn't seem that effective. Sure you can suicide...but even at level 16 that's a 2 1/2 minute cooldown. Going blink either means either:
  • Getting it early before scepter, which then means you'll have a shit mana pool and won't be able to mine as much
or
  • Getting it after sceptor, so by the time you have it, the enemies will most likely have items to deal with the damage (like Pipe and AC) and the carry will have a BKB, completely negating your remote mines
You're going to need something like Tranquils and Soul Ring before the blink or sceptor....and chances are you'll be supporting as Techies....so where are you going to get this gold? Either you jungle for it, and risk getting ganked because you have shit movement speed and no mana left to respond to the enemy due to using it all placeing mines for the creeps....or you get it in lane which means you're like playing as a 3 or 2 rather than a 4--if that's the case then your team is fucked, plain and simple.
Imma let you finish, but most of the builds I've seen on front page and twitch streamers are buying blink, and he was asking how to play Silencer against him.

G a R M

Novice
The best that a good Techies can accomplish is to create space for his team (the fear of mines) and counter-push, so he needs the other four to really make use of split-push and farm and not die to ganks. So pretty good if you have heroes like Nature's Prophet, SF, Morphling etc.

The issue is that Techies needs farm and XP early.

Exactly, and spending time farming to get an early blink dagger means you won't be able to create space.

[Imma let you finish, but most of the builds I've seen on front page and twitch streamers are buying blink, and he was asking how to play Silencer against him.

That's not surprising, due to the current obsession in the meta with people thinking every hero should build blink. Just because a build is really popular doesn't mean it's the most effective. Like I just said though, farming blink means that you're diminishing your impact in the early game....all for an ability that has a 2 1/2 minute cooldown when at its max level (I did realize I accidentally said level 16...when you could have it maxed by level 7). And if you max it early you have to sacrifice levels in land mines which means a longer cooldown on them with less damage leading to an even longer time required to plant enough to farm neutrals to get the early blink in the first place. Plus, like I said, Techies is a huge ganking target if you know he's just sitting around farming--since you know he can't have mines everywhere if he's using them all to farm.

Shit, just put the Silencer mid to get early levels and once he reaches 6 you take him and a support and smoke into the jungle. Kill techies and then deward the mines. Do that a couple times and you have a snowballing mid and a useless and underleveled Techies who has wasted most of his time in the jungle and has been unable to plant mines anywhere else.

Coriolanus

Learned
I think the idea of having a blink is that you can access a bigger area of the map to mine, just blink out to escape if they catch you laying your goblin eggs. He's just so gankable without.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The point of mobility items is mobility, big surprise. Techies are slow and weak when caught they need either dagger or force and dagger is better.

Also, once again, you can buy dagger very fast by stacking ancients. At the same time you can mine enemy jungle and rune spots since stacking only happens every minute...

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I'd imagine blink is also helpful for getting into position to use your shit offensively against stunned targets. I've always thought blink was incredibly undervalued to be honest. It's not nearly as expensive as a full item and the mobility it offers makes brown boots seem like a tiny worthless boost.

Cromwell

Arcane
Yes extremly useful for positioning, for example if you have a tide who blinks in. You just blink in with him and throw two bombs in blast them and suicide yourself. I personally like the hero, I think in future games a force staff is a must since even in my trenchtier they start buying gems later and will try to kill my bombs. With one or more fs on the team we can force them in the minefield and at least kill 1-2 of them.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I think techies may even be picked as a pocket strats in pro games. He defends extremely well and provides more than most supports in terms of raw damage with relatively little exp needed and he can jungle. Level 7 techies blows up for 1550 damage in 200 range and 500 damage in 500 range with a skill with 150s cd. Thats way more than sand king or earth shaker can do to close targets.

I read old guides suggesting you stopped levelling at a level between 7 and 11 to use suicide frequently and with low respawn rate. You can farm with remotes easily.

Finally remote mines have 900 range vision and stasis traps have 400. A good player could provide a shitload of vision for his team. This particular thing may cause nerfs for techies, you can mine whole of enemy jungle and stop all spawns!

Ninjerk

Arcane
The vision has got to get nerfed lol. I was watching Waga's stream (I think it was), and he threw a remote mine up on one of the observation ward cliffs and it was just silly.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The vision has got to get nerfed lol. I was watching Waga's stream (I think it was), and he threw a remote mine up on one of the observation ward cliffs and it was just silly.

Yes, writing the previous post I just realized that. 900 range on a mine that lasts almost double the time ward does and is not limited in number. Holy shit man, techies, if unchanged, could be first pick first ban for this alone.

Cromwell

Arcane
Its a really nice Hero, Problem is it is as you described it, most people will just try to suicide themselves fail and feed. Or mine idiotic spots just to get a few kills. I will have to try mining the easy camp of my enemies if they have a jungler or just in case they want to pull, butthurt would be glorious.

polo

Magister
Whats your favorite hero and why?. Ii mean in terms of FUN

Damned Registrations

TA is pretty fun. All her abilities let you make the big outplay moves when used properly. And laning isn't boring like a lot of heroes, because you actually have to pay attention while bopping creeps.

Unfortunately, she's one of those heroes that can be counterpicked pretty easily. DoT effects ruin refraction, and she lacks any sort of hard disable or escape mechanism. She really does play like an assassin, unlike the others in the game that bear the title, who play more like straight up brawlers.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
unlike the others in the game that bear the title, who play more like straight up brawlers.

Nyx Assassin?

But yeah, TA is pretty awesome but, if we're talking CM, I think she's only perfect when she's a sudden last pick. Even if that makes your other lanes somewhat wonky, an unexpected TA can just screw you all day long and you won't be able to do much about that. One thing that I don't understand, though, is why no one makes mask of madness on her (in pubs). She really needs that movement speed, her damage is colossal so she profits a lot from the bonus speed and, well, refraction charges don't care about that 30% penalty.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Nyx if always fun nyxnyxnyxnyxnyx I cried manly tears when stun got changed but I adapted.

Tinker is super fun I always liked him. I max laser and rockets and act as mobile artillery instead of a farmer.

Love my centaur too, even from before his changes I picked him, awesome nuker for a tought guy.

And of course my lost love ogre magi. Not really viable on my MMR but great fun never the less.

Coriolanus

Learned
^^^I think Razor is the strongest counterpick to TA, at least in my experience. She won't die but shouldn't get a single creep if her block was inferior to Razor's.

^^It's really risky and completely reliant on you dominating the game already, that is, on the enemy not being able to hit you outside refraction. I don't have the fingers to count the times a TA player got too cocky with items and threw the game by foregoing a BKB/Drums/Yasha etc. for a 'fun item'.

On topic:

I can have fun playing a full support role if my team is mildly competent and cooperative. The best games I've had were the ones with teamwork and positive attitude. The heroes that are fun no matter what, well...

Morphling - good mid vs. a lot of heroes, doesn't die, gets most of the kills per match and can carry into late-late game. Doesn't matter if you lose, you can still have fun baiting bozos with a replicate and one-shotting supports.
Axe - the big red orc's playstyle is too ballsy to grow stale. I tend to lose with him a lot, however.
Invoker - there's always stuff you could be doing / doing better. An easy hero to learn but such a hard one to play efficiently. Too bad Aghs is usually a trash pickup.

One hero I really want to learn - Meepo. I think I've got his combo down but I'm a bit too scared to play him in ranked, yet. Not to mention he is so damn OP in his current state (6.82 nerf incoming, for sure).

Chef_Hathaway

King of the Juice
Patron
White Knight
Divinity: Original Sin BattleTech
In terms of pure fun, I love, love, love Timbersaw.

Super mobile, huge burst early/mid game, pushes like a monster late game, tanky as fuck, doesn't require too much farm, and smart play is super rewarding.

My favorite offlaner by far.

Ninjerk

Arcane

Yes, writing the previous post I just realized that. 900 range on a mine that lasts almost double the time ward does and is not limited in number. Holy shit man, techies, if unchanged, could be first pick first ban for this alone.
You can block camps from the river, too, I bet. The remote mines are tossed aren't they?

Damned Registrations

No, it's units/wards being in the detection box. With a few exceptions (Like TA traps iirc, and a bunch of dummy units for spells.) Of course, anything that provides vision is a dummy unit at the very least. If you're standing/warding the right spot you can watch jungle camps spawn into existence.

Cromwell

Arcane
Play on another server then? I play on eu and us never had real problems. Let the codexers come to you!

polo

Magister
South america servers are full of shit. But yeah i have around 250/350ms in US servers too.

Cromwell

Arcane
arent all servers full of shit? I played the eu ones and the us ones, I played with russians, people who to me sound like they shoot indians in their free time and people from countries I didnt know existed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom