Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Don't Buy The Hype

Limorkil

Liturgist

1. It is too long. To be effective it should be shorter and more to the point. Due to the length, it loses the interest of people who are concerned about one franchise but not another; people like me who are concerned about Elder Scrolls but do not really give a shit about Star Trek or Fallout (omg blasphemy!) I do not think it would have that effect if it were shorter. One suggestion would be to have supporting detail about each franchise on a web site and then link to it, e.g. "To read the full Star Trek story, click here"

2. I do not agree with most of it, but you are entitled to your opinion. Frankly, I read the whole thing and came away thinking that is was a generic "I hate Beth" campaign with no real goal. If you have a goal, be a bit more concise.

3. The whole "Quoting references interspersed with hearsay and conjecture" thing sort of works for the high school blog or the Intelligent Design people, but I think the people that are probably going to be interested by what you have to say are a little more perceptive than that. Once again, if you stuck to the main points and made it shorter it would be more convincing.

4. One of your central arguments is that Bethesda ruined the ES franchise so expect more to follow. Yes, I can see how you would come to that conclusion. However, many people would not agree with you. Some of the apparent negative aspects of Oblivion actually made the game more accessible to the wider market (as opposed to the RPG elite) whereas other "improvements" did nothing but piss off almost everyone. The big draws were these:
- Graphics
- Action-oriented gameplay

The things that annoyed people (RPG old timers and new people alike) were:
- Levelled content (the big one)
- Lack of alternative solutions to quest problems
- Radiant AI not being in the game despite the hype
- Quest compass, quest popups*

* Some people liked these. The real problem with them was not that they were there but: (1) You could not turn them off (on Xbox at least) and (2) The quests were designed with the assumption that they were there, so vital quest information is sometimes conveyed only through popups or compass markers (e.g. NPCs no longer provide directions to goals, they just assume you will use the quest compass).

My own personal opinion, as a long time ES fan, is that Oblivion has better gameplay than the previous games (particularly Morrowind) but suffers from very poor quest and encounter design (single track quests and over-reliance on leveled content).

In general, rather than criticizing Bethesda for subjective issues, such as making games that are "not real RPGs" or "not in the spirit of the fanchise" your argument would be stronger if you focused on very real failures to deliver (like the Star Trek game) or on specific criticisms of final games, such as the rushed design of Oblivion and the failure to deliver Radiant AI. You mention all these things, but there is a lot of subjective noise that weakens the argument.

5. You are criticizing Bethesda's handling of franchises and their dealing with fan sites. Obviously, the two are related, but if one of these is your primary argument you should try and focus on it and remove most of the detail on the secondary argument to some source site/document.

Jim Kata

Arbiter
I bought arx fatalis when it came out and never opened the package. I do need to try it at some point, though that screenshot is astoundingly gay.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Jim Kata said:
I bought arx fatalis when it came out and never opened the package. I do need to try it at some point, though that screenshot is astoundingly gay.

Was graphics or interface ever an indicator for the gameplay/athmosphere?
No matter how the sceenies look, the game sounds interesting enough.

jefklak

Scholar
That NPC is the one you encounter the first minutes of the game, big deal. The graphics look beautiful, even today. Only downside about the engine is like the codex review states, after killing/hitting enemies everything slows down for a sec or so, strange enough. At least that happened in the revised demo, can't state for full game + latest 1.7x patch. I will soon enough.

Maybe Jim Kata wants to sell his copy to me? hehe.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Bradylama said:
Fallout 2 was followed by Fallout: Tactics, which while being technically fun had a cavalcade of setting issues and wasn't the roleplaying game that fans wanted.

Only somewhat true. A lot of fans didn't give a shit if it wasn't a true role-playing game, that was just an excuse by the Communists to explain why we didn't like it. The fact of the matter is, a lot of Fallout fans didn't like it because it wasn't true to a lot of elements of Fallout which would have made it a better game.

The game was billed as "Jagged Alliance 2 set in the Fallout universe". Given the lack of depth of situations and the poor combat implimentation, it's nothing like JA2. Given all the setting screw ups, the latter isn't very true either. Hell, riding around in a 1990s era, gasoline powered Humvee fighting supermutants holed up in a working oil refinery has no place in Fallout's setting at all. The whole point of the Great War was that the world ran out of oil.

Most of the SPECIAL skills were useless, which would have made the game more tactical if they were implimented in the level design. Science to hack turrets, lockpicking to find ways around guard towers, and so forth would have gone a long way towards making the game have tactical depth. Even using a Speech skill to enlist friend help and such on missions, or convince enemies to jump sides would have been nice. Those things were scrapped before the game was developed, though, because the designers felt that was too role-playing oriented.

FOT was a budget title at best.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom