Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Dominions 6

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
ITZ Coming

https://steamcommunity.com/app/722060/discussions/0/3800525036435042881/?ctp=2

1689280383426.png

Last edited:

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
4 was the best one

agree or disagree?

5 had some great balancing done and better bless system. 4 had some very big issues.

That having said in 5 late game battles units die to 'time limit' way too often and that's never a good thing.

The series really bounces between 'shit is impossible to kill' and 'rocks fall everyone dies' a bit too much...

Mortmal

Arcane
Not looking forward to the $70 price tag.
I dont think its that price tag , not by far, 39 euros more likely. Anyway do you see any fantasy strategy game nearly as good coming in the near future?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Betting 100 bucks you won't be able to control battles directly (the one change I would absolutely pay 100 bucks for) because the dev is too obsessed with making his system work for PBEM :negative:

darkpatriot

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Betting 100 bucks you won't be able to control battles directly (the one change I would absolutely pay 100 bucks for) because the dev is too obsessed with making his system work for PBEM :negative:
Indirect control is the entire damn point.

I am fine with indirect control, but I would like it better if it was more of general directions given to units and commanders that were then carried out based on the personalities of the commanders and units and other factors.

Something that is better at simulating real life indirect control instead of primarily being scripting like it is right now. The current iteration is more like a poor man's attempt to simulate direct control rather than actually trying to make indirect control a compelling gameplay mechanic.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
I'd seriously pay 100 bucks for a DLC that lets you directly control battles.

I'd day one purchase a Dominions clone with direct battle control without hesitation.

But nobody is making anything like it :negative:

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
I'd seriously pay 100 bucks for a DLC that lets you directly control battles.

I'd day one purchase a Dominions clone with direct battle control without hesitation.

But nobody is making anything like it :negative:
Something to think about for the future. ^

Unrelated, this is going to be quite interesting for me. I'm not a huge Dom5 fan. I think I spent the most time on 3 and some with 4. Do love the map editor, though.

This game will almost certainly cost $40-50 which I think is a very fair price.

While I'm most interested in quality of life I'd also love to hear about any new fancy unique race mechanics.

I think I'll always fundamentally be not the target of an Illwinter game because they are too obsessed with PBEM.

Much like JF would pay $100 for a game with player managed battles I'd pay that for a Dominions game with a single player focus and a total lack of concern for balance. Insanely complex necromancy? Yes please. Even a minorly more complicated economic/management aspect? Sign me up.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
You guys have weird ideas, troop battles are easily the worst part of Dominions they should improve that but adding giving specific orders to units isn't the way to go to make it better.

And for SP to be enjoyable you would have to introduce functional AI which I don't think they know how to do, especially without cutting content.

Maybe they finally add Musulpheim, its been in the .exe as a description since Dom3...

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
You guys have weird ideas, troop battles are easily the worst part of Dominions they should improve that but adding giving specific orders to units isn't the way to go to make it better.

And for SP to be enjoyable you would have to introduce functional AI which I don't think they know how to do, especially without cutting content.

Maybe they finally add Musulpheim, its been in the .exe as a description since Dom3...
I mean the game is pretty simple. Sure you can't get an AI that can roflstomp a cheeser high on all the internet guides on perfect play but still.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

I mean the game is pretty simple. Sure you can't get an AI that can roflstomp a cheeser high on all the internet guides on perfect play but still.

The game is simple but to actually win you have to learn and use hundreds of spells and have viable late game strategies or just mid game ones.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer

The game is simple but to actually win you have to learn and use hundreds of spells and have viable late game strategies or just mid game ones.
Eh most MP players are using a very small subset of spells and summons.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
How would you implement direct control without completely changing the game?

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Direct conrol in MP would be insanely unbelievably slow. For a game that is already like watching paint dry in PBEM.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
How does it require any major changes to the (single player) game? Instead of making the battles an automatic thing you can only passively watch, you make it a thing where the player makes decisions during the battle, like in Total War or Age of Wonders.

You have to change ABSOLUTELY ZERO systems for it. All you need to do is implement a control interface for the battles.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
How does it require any major changes to the (single player) game? Instead of making the battles an automatic thing you can only passively watch, you make it a thing where the player makes decisions during the battle, like in Total War or Age of Wonders.

You have to change ABSOLUTELY ZERO systems for it. All you need to do is implement a control interface for the battles.

Yes, what a great idea, I can just see it... late game on one of the bigger maps... 30-40 turns of player taking and losing 30-40 battles a turn... where it is usually PD against thugs and massive enemy forces... plus the ritual battles and other events. Yes that sounds way more fun, and we if increase the scale to one of those 1k provinces maps it will be even BETTER!

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Yes, battles are more fun when you can control them. I play strategy games for the battles. Total War is my favorite strategy game series for a reason, and I vastly prefer 4X games with manual battles over those with abstracted auto-battles (Master of Orion and Age of Wonders are better than Civilization).

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Yes, battles are more fun when you can control them. I play strategy games for the battles. Total War is my favorite strategy game series for a reason, and I vastly prefer 4X games with manual battles over those with abstracted auto-battles (Master of Orion and Age of Wonders are better than Civilization).
Eh, but it seems like you should be playing Fantasy General or Field Of Glory or something. AoW isn't even 4X by most definitions in any case. I do thing having a fantasy game focused almost entirely on battles would be cool, but I don't see why you'd take a 4X game and cram battles in.

For me personally player managed battles that are deep and interesting and a strategy layer that are deep and interesting hurt each other. Total War is a fantastic example. Battles are trivialized by strategy layer advantages and then if the player is in a tough spot they can just hand run battles and crush vastly superior armies.

Wouldn't it make more sense to play *tactical* games, or even *operational* games for the battles rather than strategy games with map painting?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom